HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
Freaked out is pretty strong, but yes, I am very apprehensive. I have one flight on it that was successful, one flight.....not so much. Mine is manifested by the sight of my Trojan knife edging down to places unknown. Just like last time. But, you know what they say, "No guts, no glory." I am going to fly this thing if it's the last thing I do. BTW - I have a Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane Select Scale that I am even more apprehensive to fly than my T-28. Why? It is a gorgeous plane. The thought of it becoming a crumpled mess is abhorrant to me. In the meantime, I will fly my Super Cub, Champ, FB Stratos and Ares Gamma 370 with full peace of mind.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:42 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,069 Posts
[QUOTE=rtbates;22136618]seeing as how you crashed and destroyed the Cub beyond repair it's a no brainer. ANOTHER CUB... Keep doing it until you no longer crash and destroy the Cub then you can safely move on... A warbird is no plane for someone crashing/destroying a Cub...[/QUO

You should have mastered the cub before moving to a T-28, get another or another trainer and get real good on it, on windy days also. Then get yourself a 4 channel.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:02 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
I vote for getting another cub and modifying it, you will learn so much from doing a scratch build with some mods. The super cub must be one of the most modified planes out there, check out the super cub club forum on proboards for lots of ideas, i'm a member there myself.

I'd recommend buying a fuselage, wing, tail, landing gear, cowl and go from there. Get an aluminium motor mount from custom RC, brushless 3536 outrunner (it's a little big I know but you need extra weight out front to make it balance), flatten out some of the dihedral in the wing and put in flaps and ailerons, cover the whole thing in profilm of your favorite colour and if you want to make it really cool add some nightlights for night flying as well.
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:09 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillzio View Post
I vote for getting another cub and modifying it, you will learn so much from doing a scratch build with some mods. The super cub must be one of the most modified planes out there, check out the super cub club forum on proboards for lots of ideas, i'm a member there myself.

I'd recommend buying a fuselage, wing, tail, landing gear, cowl and go from there. Get an aluminium motor mount from custom RC, brushless 3536 outrunner (it's a little big I know but you need extra weight out front to make it balance), flatten out some of the dihedral in the wing and put in flaps and ailerons, cover the whole thing in profilm of your favorite colour and if you want to make it really cool add some nightlights for night flying as well.
With all due respect to your suggestions, I disagree. The gentleman needs to learn how to fly before he starts modifying a known good airframe.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
Yeah, totally agree. The gentleman needs to learn to fly first and foremost. Another Super Cub or a HZ Firebird Stratos would be just the ticket. Actually he might learn faster on the FB Stratos.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Well, it might not be for everyone, but it worked for me
after I lost my first cub I got another one and modded it and never looked back.

If you purely want to learn the judgement and hand eye coordinatoion for flying sims are great for that.
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:23 PM
Old Flyer
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined May 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Bottom line is, if you can't fly a Hobbyzone Super Cub, you are NOT ready for a 4 channel plane. The advice about a buddy box is sound though. I would definately recommend his finding an instructor.
Cannot begin to tell you how strongly I disagree with this. When I learned to drive, it was on a standard shift because my family did not believe in automatics. Today I can drive anything. My wife on the other hand learned on an automatic and never advanced to standard. So now we do not own a small 2 seater because she has to have auto and I think that defeats the purpose. Get the Sensei or some similar air frame, fly it, fly it some more. Get buddy box help if at all possible. If you must crash it, realize that it is fairly easy to fix, fix it and fly it some more. No proof exists that flying 3 channel first makes a better pilot. And of course the reverse is true also. When one moves on from 3 channel, one must learn to turn with ailerons. If one learned with 4 channel, one would already know how to turn with ailerons. THAT IS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE!!!!! Nothing magic about either one.
taffrail is offline Find More Posts by taffrail
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:01 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,756 Posts
i learnt on standard too and i don't think the automatic-standard argument applies to planes as far as 3ch vs 4ch. i do think ppl can learn on 4ch instead of 3ch. but if you can't fly a cub then i agree with chuck that you probably are not ready for other planes.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
See, that is where I disagree. Turning is turning. Whether it be with rudder or aileron. One should think of the right stick as direction and elevator, not aileron or rudder and elevator. What has driving a car with a stick or automatic have to do with flying an RC plane? I stand by my statement that if you cannot fly a Hobbyzone Super Cub you ain't ready for a 4 channel. What cracks me up is that some on these forums, especially the more seasoned vets, tend to forget that a first flight on any RC airplane is nerve wracking for a rank newbie. Sure, a 3 channel, stable, high wing trainer is going to be easier to learn on than a 4 channel warbird, but, I have seen newbies freeze when trying to fly a Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos or Super Cub. I have seen plenty of crashes on "easy to fly" 3 channel planes when flown by the rank beginner. Just this past weekend I saw an RC pilot with 6 years under his belt get weak kneed on the maiden flight of his new balsa and ply Yak that took him 3 months to build; he didn't stop sweating until the plane was safely back in his truck. . Imagine what a complete beginner feels like when taking his new HZ Super Cub out for it's maiden flight......................usually a little short of terror that's how.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
225 Posts
I can testify to that Chuck. I flew my new SC for the first time Tuesday evening and my knees were knocking! I bought a Champ last month and learned to fly it and then went and bought the SC two weeks later and put it together, thinking I wanted something larger. I realized that after I got it and put it together that I wasn't quite ready yet for the bigger plane, because it dwarfed the little Champ in size! The SC sat ready to fly for the past 2 weeks in my floor, lol. I flew the Champ almost every evening and got to where I could fly it about anyway that I wanted to and land it at my feet without any problems, so I took the SC out Tuesday. I hand launched it and was scared to death! I didn't really have any problem flying and landing, mainly because I had practiced so much with the Champ. I've now flown the SC 5 times but I'm still nervous as heck! I'm so glad that I didn't jump to the SC until I learned the smaller plane first. My next step is going to be an Apprentice unless I can buddy box with someone on another 4 channel plane, but I'm planning on flying and learning the SC before I even try to step up to a higher level.
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,756 Posts
is the cub easier at handling though? i imagine it would be since with micros the wind makes it a bit tougher to fly them.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
Actually, I find the Super Cub flies almost exactly like the Champ in characteristic, but, flies higher and faster and can fly in moderate wind. I have had mine up in wind up to 9-10 mph and she flew great, although I had to fight the wind a little bit. Landing is a little more of a challenge as our landing strip is always plagued by a late morning crosswind. I don't get nervous at all when flying my Champ, Super Cub, FB Stratos or my Ares Gamma 370. I still get a little nervous putting up my T-28 Trojan and Focke-Wulf 190 though. Not knee knocking nervous, but I always have to take a breath before I put them up. I just remember this old saying: "No guts, no glory." Put them up in the sky and just fly them the best you can.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
225 Posts
To me the SC handles much better. It's more graceful( if that's what you call it) and it turns a lot easier, even when gliding with the throttle off, The wind doesn't push it around as easily as it does the Champ.
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
You are correct. But it does fly like a huge Champ in calm winds.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
973 Posts
I know I tend to bang on about the few planes I have, but I would recommend a PZ Wildcat.It is definately a warbird, but has got mid wings and dihedral, which makes it relatively easy to fly.Being used to a Cambrian Funfighter many, many years ago (balsa,ply, foam-core, 20 ic engine, heavy), I could not believe how easily it lifted away,NO trim needed, how little throttle it needed on launch, and how slowly it flies on third or half throttle.Reading your post on how you crashed your plane, I would definately recommend flying in zero wind (how else can you learn whether it was your control imput or a gust that affected the flight), and circle or figure eight about about 30 to 50 feet up with the plane no more than 50 yards away from you.You should definately not be in a position to hit a goal post "at the far end of the field".Also, it wasn't out of radio range when you lost control, the model was simply too far away for you to put in the correct control imputs- my theory is we have to almost "second guess" what the plane is going to do next if a manouvre is not executed as we expect.And never let a plane go down wind, unless you are an expert and know exactly what you are doing.I almost feel that if you have let a plane get 100 yards downwind due to lack of skill, and you are struggling to control it, you might as well close the throttle to minimise the damage when the inevitable happens.At least you can find the bits.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Last edited by alibongo; Aug 01, 2012 at 07:18 PM.