HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:54 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,399 Posts
Discussion
Why do you like micros?

Hey guys. I thought it would be interesting to hear why you guys like micros. The reasons why i like micros are they are small so transportation and storage is easier, they are cheaper than the larger planes; batteries are much cheaper and they dont acquire as much damage in a crash. I can go and drive 14 minutes away to fly them at the school field instead of 30 minutes to the club field. So those are my reasons for having only 2 "large" planes and not getting anymore "large" ones but micros. So why do you like micros?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:19 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Hey guys. I thought it would be interesting to hear why you guys like micros. The reasons why i like micros are they are small so transportation and storage is easier, they are cheaper than the larger planes; batteries are much cheaper and they dont acquire as much damage in a crash. I can go and drive 14 minutes away to fly them at the school field instead of 30 minutes to the club field. So those are my reasons for having only 2 "large" planes and not getting anymore "large" ones but micros. So why do you like micros?
I think you pretty much nailed all the reasons I love my micros. All the people in the parks seem to enjoy them as well . No scary big planes that might hurt them or their kids too.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Apr 2010
58 Posts
A month or two ago you didn't like micros.You had to have a Sensei.It's hard to take you seriously.
EssTee is offline Find More Posts by EssTee
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined May 2011
4,399 Posts
whirlcap- Yeah thats another good reason. People aren't too worried about them.

EssTee- I never said i didn't like micros...i just said i wanted to try out a larger plane. What you are saying is since i bought a larger plane it means i dont like micros?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:08 AM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Apr 2010
58 Posts
you said that all you were doing was banging sticks.

Your words.not mine.

I wish you the best on flying
EssTee is offline Find More Posts by EssTee
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:13 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I've flown everything from the big glow powered stuff to the micro flyers.

I like the micros because I can fly them at home, they are cheap and easy to fix, my driveway is my taxiway and I was able to mow in a 100 foot long by 20 foot wide runway across my front yard, of course, than means that I have to keep the runway mowed to golf green standards, so it gets cut often, I'll mow the rest of the yard if time permits ....but the runway always looks good even got me a "low flying aircraft" sign and a windsock, welcome to "Carver Flats model airpark" just don't park in my driveway when I'm flying or your car might get it.

it's pretty nice to be able to walk out your front door and chuck a plane into the air.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:55 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
All of the above,

Plus when I was a kid (I'm seventy-four now) I pictured RC planes of this size. In my late teens and early twenties I saw my first RC's. Totally huge planes with ground based tx's as big as a field box and a single button to control the plane. Interesting but it held very little attraction.

Driving to City Island, NY a few years later I caught a glimpse of an RC plane. Parked and followed it to the field. Got yelled at for walking out onto the runway.

These things were still big, but they flew with reeds and had full-house controls. Joined the club and got early propo gear. Flew everything from an SE2 escapement controlled Schoolboy to Kwik-Fli's and Aeromasters.

Now, fifty years later they finally make the planes I dreamt of when I was a kid.

Love 'em, but I gotta say, that Monocoupe in my avatar is easier to fly but easier to damage in a bad landing.

I'll take the little ones any day though. They fulfill my fantasies best.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Jul 11, 2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Thats my business, you just post what I tell you!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:13 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,510 Posts
Because they are fun and not expensive and HH makes it easy to own lots of them with the universal batteries, controllers, etc.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:27 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
No hangar rash, less space used for storage, but more important, 5 times more stick time!!! Still like my big birds, but I have no clue how many UMs I have... How can I count them, I think they reproduce by themselves now!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
No hangar rash, less space used for storage, but more important, 5 times more stick time!!! Still like my big birds, but I have no clue how many UMs I have... How can I count them, I think they reproduce by themselves now!
Yeah, the chicks are just the right size for flying in the house.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined May 2011
4,399 Posts
EssTee- Well yes....because im not afraid to do crazy things on the micros.

Stuart Linfoot- Wow, you must have one big yard! My house is surrounded by trees and other houses.

PeteSchug- A single button to control the planes!?!? Thats soemthing i haven't heard before!

GBLynden- Yep that is for sure! They are so cheap you can get many of them and still be able to fly them all!

RealGambler- I agree there too. Three of my micros are sitting on my dresser, they have no hangar rash, and i have a lot more stick time with them than my big ones.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Because I can grab a UM, my DX6i, stick a bunch of 240s in my pocket and drive 5 minutes to one of 4 local fields and have fun. A football field works, a baseball diamond in a pinch.

I don't need to join a club, charge huge batteries, sweat over possible damage or feel the urge to fly a mile away. When I crash it into something, it usually bounces off. The only drawback is if the winds are up, I don't fly, but that's what kites are for. Or RC tanks.

Nothing like flying a UM F4U at dusk with nav lights on. Silhouetted against a red sky it looks like it's in the Pacific in 1944. I'm sure the bigger ones do the same, but they are much further away.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
[snip]
PeteSchug- A single button to control the planes!?!? Thats soemthing i haven't heard before!
[snip]
Yup. One press for right rudder, two for left.

Typically the pilot would climb into the wind clicking right or left to maintain course. When high enough he'd hold rudder and do a one turn spiral dive. Then hit opposite rudder to straighten the plane and it would loop on the excess speed. At the bottom of the loop he'd hit rudder to turn rather than allow the plane to climb and stall.

No motor control, so all landings were dead stick.

That's where all this stuff began!

Edit: A good pilot could get three or four loops in a ten minute flight. You needed a ham license in those days. The typical plane had a six foot wing span. The radio was suspended by eight rubber bands, one off each corner of its box. (about a five inch cube) that was because it had a relay inside that passed the signal to the escapement and engine vibration would operate the relay if the radio was not vibration isolated.

You had to be seriously devoted and have lots of time and money along with being satisfied with mediocre results.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Jul 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined May 2011
4,399 Posts
Ausf- those are some more good reasons i hadn't though of! I agree!

PeteSchug- Oh man! That must have been something to fly those! Wow!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:17 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
no matter how good u are at flying or how many flying throppies you have lined up in your room we all crash if you haven't trust me you will.

on a big plane we all know a crash can means $$ or the end of the plane ! ouch

i like micros because i can crash anytime and i know nothing will be damaged and if there was one nothing a piece of scotch tape won't fix out of the field. i fly in front of the house i don't have to lug all equipment and drive to a field full of people. my front yard and street is my runway. and I measure the amount of satisfaction is the same well at least for me.

nothing wrong with big planes but its too much hassle mine just sits hanging in the garage rafters
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov