HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
Texas Buzzard
McAllen,Texas
Joined Mar 2004
1,034 Posts
Discussion
Roy Clough's Martian Spaceship - 1967

Excuse me for posting here...but my "aircraft" doesn't fit anywhere. It is a glow-powered Blinp-like Spaceship like Buck Rodgers flew in in the 1940's movies.
Skip Ruff of Taft, CA has modernized Roy Clough's MARTIAN SPACESHIP which was first a free flight. I have one half built but lost the plans 2 years ago.

If anyone can help , it will be greatly appreciated.

I need to know the location of the Center of Gravity. AND how long was Skip RUff's ship.
I have a video of it flying at Taft. No wings at all - it is a lifting body and it flies very well. He used a 0.25 cu in glow on his 2.5 pound airship
I have the written instructions but need CG location + length.
THANKS
Texas Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:09 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,247 Posts
Seems like a Martian invasion is in progress! This makes it three threads on the Spaceship now.

Skip Ruff's version of the MSS was a two-part construction article published in the August and September 1991 Model Builder magazine. I have Roland Friestad's Model Builder PDFs, including those articles.

There's only a very low resolution illustration of the plans in the article. Based on approximate measurements from those, the fuselage is about 54" long, and the CG is shown at around 21" back from the nose (about 39%).

Hope that helps. Please realize that these figures are from a small, low res magazine picture and may not be too accurate but are probably better than guessing. The article said that full-size plans were available from MB, but that's probably not the case any more. Possibly someone here will have them and may be able to help you more.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
Texas Buzzard
McAllen,Texas
Joined Mar 2004
1,034 Posts
Harry

Harry THANK YOU. I was using 60 inches for the length.

But will use a proportional method to locate. THANKS
Texas Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:53 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
699 Posts
CG is shown on the side view of the FF version here in Roy's article and plan.

No idea on the source but it wasn't from me originally.

Can't help you on the RC version sorry.

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver