HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:31 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Here are some pics of mine, I started adding details so she will be ready for the big jolt.

In the pics you can see the simple mechanical gear doors, panel lines and decals, esc's in the thrust tubes....

I still need to airbrush a bit of weathering on the panel lines and add some dulcote.
Hey Bri, while I wait for a new motor and fan I thought I would tackle the retractable gear and gear doors. Too bad I wasn't closer to the big jolt or I would have come to see your plane. I have several sets of struts but none of them would be simple to use on this plane. Either the posts are the wrong size or I dont like the length of them. I also dont like the main wheels sitting slanted, I would guess that slant would rob the suspension struts of any shock absorbing by binding. I figure I would be best with 3mm piano wire and some lightweight foam wheels and just put a slight bend on the axles to straighten out the wheel stance. Looking at the way the retract sits on the rails I am concerned about the clearance. Will the main wheels fit into the fuse fully to close the gear doors? What is a good length of strut? I am a little scared about cutting out the doors until I fully have a comprehensible plan with fitting the retracts and wheels. i would like to put the biggest wheels i can onto this jet so I have a chance of grass takeoffs. In this picture I am using 2 1/4" foam wheels on 3mm wire.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344238206.358059.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 147.1 KB
Description:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344238284.032597.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 106.9 KB
Description:

Ok all you raptor owners, how did you get the struts to retract fully into the fuse? Even with my smallest wheels the nose gear still protrudes out of the nose.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Last edited by WhalleyB0Y; Aug 06, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:13 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Ok so here is the new plan: Since I do not have access to a nice paved runway in a large open airspace and I would have to leave my country of residence and drive for another 45 minutes to get to decent flying field I have decided against gear doors and pretty suspension struts. As much as I wanted to put the bling on this plane I still have to make it flyable in my area. I will have to plan on going to the local lumpy grass fields and possible gravel runways. (You Americans do not realize how good y'all got it with all the abundance of events, flying clubs and local airfields.)
Therefore I will install large oversized foam tires on rigid piano wire. They will protrude from the fuselage somewhat. I really wanted to install gear doors but they would only be able to cover up the small wheels and if I have to takeoff on grass then they would surely get ripped apart along with the retracts. I simply cannot set the E-flite retracts deep enough into the plane to allow the gear doors to cover up the big wheels. Perhaps with this change of heart I might be able to save some weight by settling on piano wire struts and foam wheels.

This is what I am looking at doing:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344474399.083511.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 93.1 KB
Description:

Someone please chime in with a possible solution before the raptor undergoes surgery....
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
So I manned up and cut out the wheel wells, the decision has been made to not use doors and scale struts.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344567743.367976.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 89.3 KB
Description:
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:53 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,654 Posts
OOhh......................

You need to add coils to the gear legs for strain relief - even if you fly it from pavement.

Also - make sure the holes are oversize as the gear WILL bend, then it either will not go up ro it won't come down. (Dumb luck will make sure that it will be the down part you have trouble with.)
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Yea you know I really wonder about those coils for strain relief. I've had a few sets of E-flite retracts w/struts and they got those coils on there too. When they are mounted I had to try and see how well the strain relief actually works. Pulling or pushing on the strut shows the screws would rip out of the wood before the coils start bending. Even so in the vice clamp, the wire would bend and flex before the coils do. Looking back at the stock struts in other planes which never had coils it seems the flexibility of the wire is the strain relief. The retract itself in its design when retracted holds the wire flat against the retract body preventing use of spring struts because their diameter is too wide to retract completely. Now with a coil on there it offsets your struts to one side or the other which in some planes, some struts (especially nose gear) it makes it lopsided. I am using 3mm wire only because all the struts available for this size plane none of them would mount flush into the retract body, work on a 25* angle, or seem to be the right length. They also have a 3mm post without a coil so with no strain relief they will be damaged. I really would like to know what other people think about these coils? In fact I would like to have an open discussion about it. Not to take away from what you are saying, strain relief is important. But what is going to give first?
Last edited by WhalleyB0Y; Aug 10, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2007
332 Posts
I think you need rotational retract (like the one used on P-40) to fully retract into the fuselage?
nerv is offline Find More Posts by nerv
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:44 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerv View Post
I think you need rotational retract (like the one used on P-40) to fully retract into the fuselage?
I agree, a rotating set would work fairly well for this application. I would also allow for gear doors too but I decided to go with the cheaper alternative that is easier to replace. I also agree that coil strain relief is needed so I have ordered in some new E-flite struts and a wire bender from K&S.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:00 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Whalley,
Eflite just came out with a set of rotating retracts..possibly worth a look....I'm sure you will figure it out..
Good luck with everything..........chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,163 Posts
maybe thease are too big. I dont know.. but they are rotating retracts aswell..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ee_Rotate.html
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,605 Posts
Eflite's---SET
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFLG320

Singles:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ID=EFLG321100R
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ID=EFLG321100L
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Hmm very good suggestions guys I am going to look into this furthur. The E-flites don't list the dimension so Im going to have to do some measuring. On the flip side, does anyone know where I can get some fiberglass sheets or some kind of material I can use to cut gear doors. Seeing how I already cut out the wells I will need to replace it now.
Last edited by WhalleyB0Y; Aug 12, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Yea,Shulman Aviation sells sheets of epoxy glass just for that application...I may have a pic...
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,654 Posts
A pop can.

Some lightweight aluminum sheet works well. Or you can get some at the LHS.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:51 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover or die View Post
Yea,Shulman Aviation sells sheets of epoxy glass just for that application...I may have a pic...
Thanks for the info, I got some coming from ACP composites in California at a slightly better rate. Let's see if it ships ok.
Last edited by WhalleyB0Y; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:56 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,249 Posts
First off you will need to add some glue to the retract mount rails, they brake really easy. I used fliteskin lined with 1/64 ply for the gear doors it worked great. I would be cautiously optimistic of the rotating gear holding up when landing on grass.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672