Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:53 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
Upon furthur investigation it doesn't appear to be the speed controller that burnt up.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343771415.060098.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 111.8 KB
Description:

The plastic housing around the motor is all melted and distorted. And at which point the fan blades scoured the shroud pretty badly. This wemo is toast and the stench and smoke was probably the motor windings. Anyone have ideas?
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Upon furthur investigation it doesn't appear to be the speed controller that burnt up.

Attachment 5050812

The plastic housing around the motor is all melted and distorted. And at which point the fan blades scoured the shroud pretty badly. This wemo is toast and the stench and smoke was probably the motor windings. Anyone have ideas?
IF the windings have an shine on them then most likely they're ok...

Nothing hurt by testing...

How's your balance on the fans?

Regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:03 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
The wemo's are factory balanced with that green putty. Once I assembled the fan and motor together I had run a few tests and it seemed really good to me. No vibrations and it was really quiet. This may have been the 6th time I ramped it up a bit. I wasn't even close to half throttle when this happened.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
524 Posts
Probably just a bad controller or timing issue. Castle should take care of you.

Took mine out today, these really are great fliers and a ton-a-fun.

Hope you can get in the air soon, keep up the good work.
ProDesign/HK F-22 (4 min 50 sec)
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:39 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
If the fan is tore up its not the esc, either a motor or fan issue....
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:39 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
If the fan is tore up its not the esc, either a motor or fan issue....
Try the motor with another esc, in the pics the windings are shinny...a tell of a motor still ready to go..

I could be mistaken
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:48 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:56 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
Steve Rogers from Castle Creations comments;

Looking at the graph, the esc more than likely shut down due to over temp. It was at 250 deg when everything stopped & that’s what its designed to do.
The graph also shows the current rising to 94 amps just as you reach 1/2 throttle & a few seconds later peaking up to 117 amps, then dropping back to a little over 100 then slowly climbing back up to 117 again. This kinda looks consistent with the motor having drag or being constrained & things loosening up as they get warm then as the distortion takes place, tightening things up again causing hi heat & current. It also shows the motor, when 1/2 throttle is reached, reaching 42,713 rpm then with no throttle change dropping almost 7400 rpm in about 7 sec. then bouncing up & down – again with no throttle in change, till shut down. This is also consistent with the motor being constrained in some way.

The only thoughts here is if the motor had a bad bearing or fan clearance / something moved???????
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:37 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
Today I drilled out the last mounting screw that held my motor in the melted wemo fan. I was now able to take a closer look at the motor and found the windings when viewed from the front are actually black and crispy looking. Not like the rear view that shows shiny copper windings.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343968207.848143.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 101.9 KB
Description:

front view vs rear view

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343968249.225131.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 116.4 KB
Description:

I suspect something caused the motor to overheat damaging the plastic shroud and motor alignment. Then the fan gouged a ditch into the shroud and then the esc shutdown. The Rotor is seized and will not budge. It appears something within the motor failed but what? I bought these motors from edfhobbies and I think this motor was one of their house brands. Perhaps a warranty can be honored if one of the bearings failed.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:39 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
Probably just a bad controller or timing issue. Castle should take care of you.

Took mine out today, these really are great fliers and a ton-a-fun.

Hope you can get in the air soon, keep up the good work.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5dPY7kamTs
Thanks for posting that video, I was hoping you would. You sure make those hand launches look good.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:44 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Good luck on a refund...probably blame you for not having a heatsink...
I'm going out on a limb here thinking you will be offered a half price motor if you send that one back and GIVE it to him...
This is my experience with edfhobbies...
Now I order my motors from efflux (Gary)
I'm really hoping your experience will be different...
Take care...........Chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:52 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
883 Posts
Actually on the contrary, Jack at edfhobbies offered a discounted price on a replacement fan and motor and he would assemble, balance and he offered to pay the shipping within the states. I will have to return my defective motor to him though but he responded right away via email and we had good communication when we were discussing the problems. He had offered some tips when assembling and mounting the product and we discussed a few of the common problems he has seen. I thought that was a fair and reasonable way to offer good customer service.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:10 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Yes half price on a replacement isn't so bad except the fact that you have to give up the other motor..If you were getting the other back for a repair charge it would be OK in my book..I just do not agree with having to give up a motor that been run what? 5 minutes on your bench without being able to get it back after a repair charge of course...
Of course we all have different opinions of what we consider satisfactory customer service..The fact that you are happy is what counts...Its just good you will be able to get your bird in the air soon..
I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these little composites myself as pro-designseems to do good work and the prices are outstanding for his jets.....
Take care........chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:39 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
If anyone is interested I seeing one of these fly in person, I will have mine at the Big Jolt next weekend. Just wanted to pass that along so those it want to see it first hand before they buy one can check it out.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:46 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post

Attachment 5050812

A magnet let go inside the motor shorting out the esc.

Seen it happen.. Experienced it happen..Hope it never happens again
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet