Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Are you using one pack or 2?

Regards
I was using two 6s 3000mAh 45C packs, now considering 5s.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:51 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Ok so whats going on here?
Today I decided to pull out the rotor and the burnt motor and put them into a different can. I used one of the two cans that came with 3 bladed rotors for the Raptor kit. It is of thicker wall size and provides more rotor clearance. I connected them to an Eflite 60A esc and a 3s lipo for the test and to my surprise everything worked!! Is this motor still good? Can I trust it? After all it was only a tiny plume of smoke that it emitted before but does it matter?

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351018143.871781.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 97.4 KB
Description:

The damaged WeMo rotor has worn out mounting holes now and appears to be somewhat melted. This is possibly the source of the problem and may be what caused the rotor to become uncentered. I did pay for this to be balanced and it had barely seen any action. The motors are also heatsinked.
Last edited by WhalleyB0Y; Oct 23, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
The damaged WeMo shroud

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351018756.020065.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 114.6 KB
Description:

I will not be able to re-center the motor with this.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,144 Posts
wow! that fan was rubbing big time! Not only was it rubbing on the sides..but its possible the fan was installed to close to the hub. You can see the wear marks in the picture. It could also have been a result of the motor screws never being tightened. How else would the screws do so much damage to the mount holes.

Screws were never tightened properly
Fan was mounted to close to the hub

Pick one. The end result was the motor/fan tilting and rubbing the crap out of the shroud.

You say you saw a burst of smoke. Maybe it was just the esc toasting its self. How are the bearings on the motor. any slop. Personally I would toss thous cheep motors and buy ARC or HET motors.

This time do it yourself! We can help you on here. I would never trust someone else to do this kinda work for me.
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Oct 23, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,378 Posts
If you were seeing low volts at the connector you may have a cold/bad solder joint..which will kill a esc in a hart beat..also running motors at very low rpm is hard on the esc. especially if you are moving the power up and down a lot or fast movement of the stick..all very bad for esc.
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:32 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
If you were seeing low volts at the connector you may have a cold/bad solder joint..which will kill a esc in a hart beat..also running motors at very low rpm is hard on the esc. especially if you are moving the power up and down a lot or fast movement of the stick..all very bad for esc.
I had used my Hyperion cel analyzer on the 6s pack and it showed up as 5s, with a voltmeter on the battery lead I read 18.8V. Could this sudden drop in voltage damage the esc?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
So now that I moved the WeMo rotor and motor into one of the supplied fan shrouds from the raptor kit it has more blade clearance between the blades and shroud. The rotor apparently stretches under high RPM too. How do I know if there is too much gap? I read this could reduce the efficiency of the fan itself. The supplied shroud may not be glass filled like the WeMo but it does fit better and feels stiffer. Because it is stiffer I don't think it will squish much when installed. But should I worry about the gap?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:49 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,646 Posts
I would stick with the Wemo fans - they are much better quality. The blades on them are not going to stretch very much - as was already mentioned - it seems you had other issues. I don't think a squashed shroud was one of them. I was suprised at the damage to the screw holes for the motor mount.

Your right - the less clearance you have on the blade tips - the better your efficancy
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:34 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
So I am researching the correct method for installing and balancing a WeMo mini pro fan. I am going to order another one and mount the motor and balance the fan myself. I couldn't find a tutorial on youtube or google... anyone got a link?

I found this but it skips the balancing and I really don't think it shows the correct way.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmg3910-3911-manual-v1_1.pdf
Last edited by WhalleyB0Y; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:29 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,646 Posts
The pro doesn't need to be balanced.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:03 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
The pro doesn't need to be balanced.

That is pretty much the impression I had when I ordered WeMo's instead of using the kit fans.

How would you explain post #168?

Maybe the rotor is factory balanced well but there is certainly something wrong here.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:28 PM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2006
567 Posts
The minifan pro rotor is balanced, but it is not balanced as a unit with the motor. Use the clock method when mounting the fan to the adapter to get it to its best balance point. Put a reference mark on the rotor and adapter, mount the fan and run it while feeling the shroud for vibration (just use a 2 or 3s pack). Turn the fan 90 degrees relative to where you had it and try again. Keep doing this until you find where there is the least amount of vibration. This requires some a patience. Setting up a fan installation like this can get you a very quiet fan.
172AMD is offline Find More Posts by 172AMD
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:17 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,646 Posts
The motor balance is not significant enough for the problems Whalleyboy has.

I have never balanced to the motor and never have problems. The problem with your fan has been said before - something has caused damage to the motor mount screws. Now wether it got hot (unlikely) or the motor was not secured properly. It was certainly not an unbalanced rotor that caused that.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:39 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
For this Prodesign kit there are mounting rails in which you can screw down the fans so that the shrouds fits snug within the composite intakes and the thrust tubes protrude by 1/2" out the rear of the fuselage. Naturally I want to tape the tubes straight and square to the fan shrouds but in doing so the ends do not exit the fuselage square to the exits. The raptor exhaust nozzles are rectangular in shape and are not in alignment with the thrust tubes and the fans. I would have to tape the tubes on to the fans at an angle. I made a paper thrust tube for this picture to demonstrate what It would look like.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351211415.797142.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 169.5 KB
Description:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351211868.134253.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 100.0 KB
Description:

Is there any reason to be concerned with the angle of the thrust tubes? I suppose the most ideal position for the tube is for it to be straight and round from the back of the fan but then the end of the tube will be pressed to the top of the fuselage opening and will be pressing the tube into an oval shape.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351211816.698669.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 121.6 KB
Description:
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:08 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
I am still waiting on more parts but I did receive a new canopy (JT1882-05-ARF) in the mail from Banana Hobby. I would like to try to make something lighter that will also allow more room for the battery to sit just under.

(JT1882-05-ARF)

My current canopy weighs 2 3/8 oz. and I think I can make something quite a bit lighter.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351922291.165837.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 120.4 KB
Description:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351922366.281730.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 132.8 KB
Description:

I think this new one even looks more scale and enhances the lines of the fuselage. If I can find a way to give it a tint that looks like these images I would be a happy camper.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351922416.270074.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 33.1 KB
Description:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351922436.474453.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 106.7 KB
Description:

And perhaps fashion some kind of base to the canopy with a means of attachment to the fuse. I am looking at ideas with different lightweight materials right now.