HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi Bjoern,
i use this relais, but any other relais for 5V will do the job.
http://www.conrad.at/ce/de/product/5...archDetail=005

cheers Thomas
Thank you, have ordered Would you mind telling me how you connected it?
Thidsa is offline Find More Posts by Thidsa
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thidsa View Post
Thank you, have ordered Would you mind telling me how you connected it?
Hi Bjoern,

my main receiver is connected to the left side of the diversity-board. i call these connection "Rx2". the plus-pole for the relay comes from the R11 ... that means the relay switches when the left receiver ("Rx1") is activated. so iīm sure that the relais is only on when the diversity switches to the backup-receiver.
(with my tracker and the choosen antennas, helix and spw, the helix is mostly all the time in use. the spw is only in use when the beam of the helix doesnīt cover the plane - like flying on a slope below the altitude of the tracker).

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is online now Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Thanks for taking the time
Im not so sure ill understand it completly tho, i have the bevrc on and that, R11 is in a completly different place on the board. Is it still the same place to put the red wire?
Whats also not clear, is to what pins on the relay things go......
Maybe your drawing is obvious, but not to me, hehe

Thanks again

Bjoern
Last edited by Thidsa; Aug 29, 2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:43 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,505 Posts
Bjoern, disregard my thing about the 741 opamps. The 358 method uses like 1/3 the power of a 741... less likely to create noise problems.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Sorry Kev.
I typo'ed 741 instead of relay in last post, dunno what came over me Changed now
But i will do the opamp mod too so ill be using Thint1's example of the 358, then
Thanks

Bjoern
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:46 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time
Im not so sure ill understand it completly tho, i have the bevrc on and that, R11 is in a completly different place on the board. Is it still the same place to put the red wire?
Whats also not clear, is to what pins on the relay things go......
Maybe your drawing is obvious, but not to me, hehe

Thanks again

Bjoern
Hi Bjoern,

referring to the datasheet (first picture upper left) the connections on the relais are:
+ (red) to pin8
- (black) to pin10
Audio in Rx1 to pin4
Audio in Rx2 to pin2
Audio out to pin3

sorry, but i donīt know the layout of the bevrc-diversity
search the status-led which shows which rx is active, there should be a resistor on the same line as the led ... the 5V should be on the opposite side as the led.

cheers Thomas
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:57 AM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bjoern,

referring to the datasheet (first picture upper left) the connections on the relais are:
+ (red) to pin8
- (black) to pin10
Audio in Rx1 to pin4
Audio in Rx2 to pin2
Audio out to pin3

search the status-led which shows which rx is active, there should be a resistor on the same line as the led ... the 5V should be on the opposite side as the led.

cheers Thomas
Wow thanks alot, this should help me on the way.
Btw, will you be so kind to show me how you mounted it on the tracker?
Last edited by Thidsa; Aug 30, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bjoern,

+ (red) to pin8
- (black) to pin10
Audio in Rx1 to pin4
Audio in Rx2 to pin2
Audio out to pin3

cheers Thomas
Can i ask how much voltage this relay needs for the switching, and if the voltage has to be 0 for it to switch back?
I cant find any place on the bevrc diversity that is 5v and 0v when it switces to the other rx. I find places where there is voltage change ex. 5v - 2.5v and 3.5v to 0.7v

Bjoern
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:04 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Can i ask how much voltage this relay needs for the switching, and if the voltage has to be 0 for it to switch back?
I cant find any place on the bevrc diversity that is 5v and 0v when it switces to the other rx. I find places where there is voltage change ex. 5v - 2.5v and 3.5v to 0.7v

Bjoern
Hi Bjoern,
sorry, i have no informations about the minimum voltage at which the relais falls back.
normally the low voltage is less than 0,5 Un, the high voltage more than 0,75 Un

try a serial diode to the relais and check if it switches correct on the point where you found 5 / 2,5V .

cheers Thomas
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:15 PM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bjoern,
sorry, i have no informations about the minimum voltage at which the relais falls back.
normally the low voltage is less than 0,5 Un, the high voltage more than 0,75 Un

try a serial diode to the relais and check if it switches correct on the point where you found 5 / 2,5V .

cheers Thomas
Thanks Thomas
heh, yes but i havent received my relay yet Just gettin ready...have done the LM358 mod tho...
If you look at this on the FRT5 is says something about voltages, but i dont know if they are what im looking for.
http://www.khalus.com.ua/data/chips/...LEON-Relay.pdf

Bjoern
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:50 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Thomas
heh, yes but i havent received my relay yet Just gettin ready...have done the LM358 mod tho...
If you look at this on the FRT5 is says something about voltages, but i dont know if they are what im looking for.
http://www.khalus.com.ua/data/chips/...LEON-Relay.pdf

Bjoern
Hi Bjoern,

sorry, but there are no data about the threshold voltages in that sheet.

just wait until the relais is delivered and test it out.

cheers Thomas
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Ok will do, thx
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:23 PM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bjoern,
my main receiver is connected to the left side of the diversity-board. i call these connection "Rx2". the plus-pole for the relay comes from the R11 ... that means the relay switches when the left receiver ("Rx1") is activated. so iīm sure that the relais is only on when the diversity switches to the backup-receiver.
(with my tracker and the choosen antennas, helix and spw, the helix is mostly all the time in use. the spw is only in use when the beam of the helix doesnīt cover the plane - like flying on a slope below the altitude of the tracker).
cheers Thomas
i got the relay today, but couldnt get it to work with the bevrc diversity.
are you sure you connected the red to pin 8? i had to use pin 1 to get the relay to shift. On the bevrc one, no matter what i did the the rx with the helix got the hightest voltage on every solderpoint. if i changed it to the other side, voltage changed on the solderpoints and got highest when helix rx was selected again.
This resulted in that the relay would always be on when helixrx was selected.
Read about relays that it was not good that they was always on, would be bad connection after a while. So i gave it up. Maybe it could have worked if i had bought the frt5-L1, i think i could have reversed it.....

Bjoern
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
i got the relay today, but couldnt get it to work with the bevrc diversity.
are you sure you connected the red to pin 8? i had to use pin 1 to get the relay to shift. On the bevrc one, no matter what i did the the rx with the helix got the hightest voltage on every solderpoint. if i changed it to the other side, voltage changed on the solderpoints and got highest when helix rx was selected again.
This resulted in that the relay would always be on when helixrx was selected.
Read about relays that it was not good that they was always on, would be bad connection after a while. So i gave it up. Maybe it could have worked if i had bought the frt5-L1, i think i could have reversed it.....

Bjoern
hi Bjoern,
donīt worry about the limited duration-time of relais ... this time is typically some thousand hours. i wish you so much time in the air that you can reach a burned relais
do you have a picture of your relais? the pinning i described was for the other type.
remember: the rc305 gives the higher rssi voltage with the better reception - but the diversity switches to the receiver with the lower voltage. you have to cross the diversity inputs .... diversity from rx1 to diversity input2!.
to test the right diversity switching disconnect the antenna from one rx ... the diversity should switch to the other rx. disconnect the other antenna and connect the first one ... the diversity should switch back.

happy soldering Thomas
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
hi Bjoern,
donīt worry about the limited duration-time of relais ... this time is typically some thousand hours. i wish you so much time in the air that you can reach a burned relais
do you have a picture of your relais? the pinning i described was for the other type.
remember: the rc305 gives the higher rssi voltage with the better reception - but the diversity switches to the receiver with the lower voltage. you have to cross the diversity inputs .... diversity from rx1 to diversity input2!.
to test the right diversity switching disconnect the antenna from one rx ... the diversity should switch to the other rx. disconnect the other antenna and connect the first one ... the diversity should switch back.
happy soldering Thomas
Haha yes im sure your right, it just sounded bad...
Yes i know that about the voltage and crossing rssi's.
I just cut power to one rx at a time...was that wrong?
Ill try it again and just let the relay be on with the helix, that works.
When i wear it out i will ask you for a new one haha

you know if its possible with just a y-cable for the audio(gps)?
Last edited by Thidsa; Sep 28, 2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added..