SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:19 PM
Arleta, California
Joined Aug 2009
44 Posts
Is there any problem mounting the elevator on top? I see that it's being built with it on the bottom in many pictures. I think it's more practical to have it on top so it has less chance of getting damaged on landings. Mounting it on top works for me but am I missing something new and revolutionary by doing this?
Jimmy Yucca is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Yucca
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:22 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
B, Honestly when I was at the couple of events I attended last year I would rather been fly fishing with my son or camping with my family. I get bored once I am in a thermal.

For me it has always been about what my planes could do in the air, it has never been about what I could do on the sticks.

I am not sure what will happen on the fuses and tails, I don't want to do them. I have a pretty nice plug for a 1pc fuse and a parting tray but that is as far as I have gotten because my heart isn't in it and the 2pc flies so well.

Who knows what will happen, right now it is one day at a time.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Yucca View Post
Is there any problem mounting the elevator on top? I see that it's being built with it on the bottom in many pictures. I think it's more practical to have it on top so it has less chance of getting damaged on landings. Mounting it on top works for me but am I missing something new and revolutionary by doing this?
The vertical will get broken long before the horizontal. Normally the vertical sticks below the boom further than the horizontal.

The main reason to mount it on the bottom and as per the instructions is I designed it that way. If you choose to mount it in a way other than designed you are on your own.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:07 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,242 Posts
Elevator on the bottom is fine and flies great.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
B, Honestly when I was at the couple of events I attended last year I would rather been fly fishing with my son or camping with my family.
Paul
No shame in that, my friend.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:13 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Yucca View Post
Are you referring to a "T" tail?

Yes, that does help keep the horizontal tail out of the weeds, but it puts the mass of the tail up on top of the fin, which then has to be built stronger to handle the extra loads. In a ground loop, "dork" landing, etc., this tends to put extra torsional loads and/or bending loads on the tail boom, which therefor also has to be built stronger and heavier.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:41 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,838 Posts
I have an X-Wing for sale if anyone is interested. It is still in two panels however I did installed a peg in the left tip. $100 shipped.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:41 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,725 Posts
I think it likely he means above the boom vs below the boom. The majority of DLGs mount the horizontal stabilizer above the boom but some use below. Paul, based on his experience, tends to mount the horizontal stabilizer under the boom on his designs. The difference in height is on the order of an inch.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:56 PM
Arleta, California
Joined Aug 2009
44 Posts
Exactly what Gerald explained. From what I heard, the air coming off the top of the wing that hits the elevator is different than the air that hits the elevator from the bottom of the wing. So mounting it on top means that the elevator is in a turbulent air stream caused by the top of the wing?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:53 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,725 Posts
It's not a trivial subject... If you want, start a discussion thread on it.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:19 PM
Arleta, California
Joined Aug 2009
44 Posts
I'll just build it the way I usually do. If it works I'll stick with it.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:59 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
There are 3 or 4 already discussions on this already....Paul's planes fly well as designed, and his price is very good. I would pick one over a Topsky or Predator, they have much better legs.

Paul, I am glad you are doing what you love and not what you must. The finish quality on your wings is the best I've seen from a bagged ship and better than some moldies.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Thanks Sam, It has been great flying with you from time to time.

I will keep doing these wings for a while and would be happy to share with anyone interested how to make fuses. I may even have some goodies to help you along. e-mail though, it's easier.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:42 PM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
254 Posts
Wow Paul - looks like you've been doing a bit of re-evaluating for the new year! A shame though it is, always follow what you love, so I'm with you there mate. More power to you.

Pity though as I returned to blighty after being away since xmas to find snow everywhere, and I think I may have invented a new DLG sport for winters in our area - House Surfing! That FF is so light you really can thermal it in the depths of winter.....with a little help!

If you fancy house surfing these are the basic tactics:
  1. Make sure you have snow!
  2. Attach a stripped down keychain camera to the FF and have a smart phone on you.
  3. Bung the FF up with the keychain near a likely house or row of houses - do it a few times, and then review the footage - you're looking for a house or outbuilding without snow on the roof.
  4. Once you've found one, grab the FF and bung it up over the roof - then thermal away! It's amazing how high you can get on roof thermals - I was getting 800' to 1200' before the thermal topped out.

Now that is how good Paul's FF is - see the photos - and it drew a fair few other flyers as it does look impressive, made me look way better than I am

On the downside after my foray to foreign shores (rubbley sand ones), my FF has a slightly dinged wing (unsightly but no issue) and is soon going to need a new tail......any chance of that tail Paul before you shut up shop on anything but wings....pretty please
quincross is offline Find More Posts by quincross
Last edited by quincross; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:44 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,216 Posts
Paul, I finally got a chance to see one of your wings in person. The finish quality was very nice for a bagged wing. It was plenty stiff and well made. Good work, my friend.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6