HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:21 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Sam- stop by it would be nice to see you, it has been a while.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:40 AM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
254 Posts
Well work bit me last week so progress didn't go as planned! I'm going to try again on Friday to finish the FF.

I'm toying with the layout shown below, but am slightly worried about the throw needed on the elevator. The elevator servo is in the centre and mounted below the other two to give clearance. All have to be mounted this way round to clear the lipo in the front, it would have been easier to have the elevator servo the other way round but hey ho. The real worry.....those horns only give a 9mm radius at the maximum - is it enough??

Of course I could just stick the elevator servo nearer the back, but this layout might save me one or two g's in the nose and I could do with that!

Paul, how much throw do you have on your elevator and ailerons mate? It'd be really helpful to know if I've got enough movement with those horns.
quincross is offline Find More Posts by quincross
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:16 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,769 Posts
At least take the servo in the middle and flip it around the other way... Have its horn pointed downwards in the picture orientation. That is, if you want three in line like that.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:21 AM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
At least take the servo in the middle and flip it around the other way... Have its horn pointed downwards in the picture orientation. That is, if you want three in line like that.

Gerald
I would mate, but as per the reason in the original post I can't - the lipo does not provide enough clearance for the horn's rotation. Hence the rudder servo would be mounted 5mm below the 2 camber/aileron servos as per the picture. It does provide the required clearances with the 9mm horn, but like you, I'm concerned about the novel positioning

As to the rudder servo horn, it will be at 90* like the rest - the weird orientation in the picture was just for ease of positioning (i.e. I could grab it to move the servo around ).
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
What rudder servo !?!?!?!?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:38 PM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
What rudder servo !?!?!?!?
ermm...of course that should say "elevator servo"

TBH - I'm going off the layout shown - it's only because I want to use the larger battery...maybe I just mount the *elevator* servo as originally intended, behind the aileron servos. KISS and all that, still I'm kind of tempted even now with the parallel arrangement
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Lessons Learned

I realize everyone would like me to keep them super light like I have been doing but I had a hard lesson this past weekend,

Even with an ounce of ballast my FF's still had a wing loading of 3.88oz. There are a few ships out there in the same category but that is empty.

At 9oz we will have a wing loading of 4oz on the FireFly. I am shooting for an AUW with standard gear of 8.5oz so with 2oz we will be at 10.5. That would give a wing loading of 3.8oz empty and 4.7oz with 2oz.

Simply put in the light breezes of Friday evening she rocked !!!! in the winds of Saturday she was like a feather on the wind. I got tossed all over the place, She even got stuffed into the tops of the trees. Nothing got broken so structural integrity is not an issue but mass is an issue so I will add mass and make her even more durable.

Paul the Bagger
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, LA, New Iberia
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
Finally got in from offshore and have been able to check out my wing. The orange-black fade came out sweet! Thanks Paul!! Going to build it w my "long skinny thing". Once I have the time and epoxy.
brs608 is offline Find More Posts by brs608
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
Paul,

It was great to catch up a little on Sunday. You have a very nice product, made right here in the U.S.A! I really like your fuselage pod setup and the latest tailboom you showed me feels very very similar to Adam's one-piece fuselage booms-you should be proud.

The finish quality on your wings is fantastic. Truly some of, if not THE smoothest bagged wings available.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:01 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs608 View Post
Finally got in from offshore and have been able to check out my wing. The orange-black fade came out sweet! Thanks Paul!! Going to build it w my "long skinny thing". Once I have the time and epoxy.
I'll volunteer to build and test fly your DLG for you....... For a couple of years to make sure it's all OK

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Ken, That is a very gracious offer but I'm not sure you will have any takers.

Sam, You flatter me !! I am honored that you think so highly of my work. I hope you can get to some more contests soon.

So how are th thermals out on the rig?

Paul
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,095 Posts
Quote:
Ken, That is a very gracious offer but I'm not sure you will have any takers.

Paul
Ya never know... Somebody just might bite the hook

It's kind of like the guy that asked every gal he saw if they would like to .... well you know He got slapped more that a few times but he also, well you know
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, LA, New Iberia
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
I don't have the stones to fly from the rigs or platforms...no real margin for error. Its not like you can land out and still have something to fly..
brs608 is offline Find More Posts by brs608
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs608 View Post
I don't have the stones to fly from the rigs or platforms...no real margin for error. Its not like you can land out and still have something to fly..
Good point, That takes Hero or Zero to a whole new level !!!!

The new wing is out of the bag and if Adam is correct I actually used 3oz glass for the skins instead of the 2.5oz I thought it was. Well the wing is VERY stiff, the finish is super nice and still only 135grams.

Paul
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,095 Posts
Quote:
Good point, That takes Hero or Zero to a whole new level !!!!

The new wing is out of the bag and if Adam is correct I actually used 3oz glass for the skins instead of the 2.5oz I thought it was. Well the wing is VERY stiff, the finish is super nice and still only 135grams.

Paul
And here I thought 1.5 oz cloth was the standard That should make a VERY durable wing. Some day I will have my hands on one of your FF Paul. I think you are on the right track with the weight thing. Of course, me being so new to this aspect of the hobby does not by any means make me an "expert". From a practical aspect you have to have a balance of durability and light weight. It seems to me these DLG's have to have a certain amount of "heft" to be able to fly properly. If the bottom limit is (example) 7 ounces it's no use making a 6 oz plane. You might as well beef it up and make it more durable.

Ken