SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, AL
Joined Feb 2012
345 Posts
Discussion
Hello all I am new to gas planes and I need some help.

Hey everyone I am new to gas planes and I need some help understanding the basics of things I might need. I have a plane in mind http://www.nitroplanes.com/new20cmunatm.html and plan on doing it with a 4 stroke engine. I have been flying electrics for a while now I just need to do something new. PLUS I am tired of batteries haha. Any help with the plane will be appreciated. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GAS PLANES!!
broncoboy36081 is offline Find More Posts by broncoboy36081
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:59 PM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
First of I'm thinkin' that you got gas and glow lumped together.

Types of fuel: Glow and gas(oline).

Glow is made up of methanol, nitromethane and oil whether the engine type of 2-stroke or 4-stroke.
Gas is made up of pump gasoline and oil for 2-strokes.

Ignition for a glow engine is a "glow plug". Looks like a tiny spark plug however it has a platinum wire coil that constantly glows red hot and provides for ignition on the compression cycle.
Ignition for a gas engine is a spark plug and uses an ignition system to provide spark.
Yea, there's a diesel but I'm clueless about 'em.

Sizes of glow is typically cubic inches from .02 to 1.60 and above. When you see someone refer to a 60-sized plane they are referencing the size of a glow 2-stroke that will adequately power the plane (OS 61 FX, OS 65 AX, etc.). I'm gonna guess on this one - an equivalent powered 4-stroke is about 125% the size of a 2-stroke (maybe higher percentage).
Sizes of gas is typically cubic centimeters are typically big (until recently) 50 cc, 100 cc,

Mess factor of glow is significant as there is a ton of post ignition residue that exits the exhaust and ends up as a slimy mess on the plane's covering.
Mess factor of gas is non-existent.

HTH

And now for the expert input ...

Update: looked at your link to the T-34 ARF. The 4-stroke recommendation is a .52 to .63. For instance, Saito has a .56 4-stroke HERE or a .62 HERE. These links are just to give you an idea of one of the top line 4-strokes.
SeamusG is offline Find More Posts by SeamusG
Last edited by SeamusG; Jul 10, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
4 strokes are fun to fly.....definately a different sound to them.

Plenty of material on 2 strokes vs. 4 strokes and all the details about them in this forum a quick search can bring up.....(reason I am saying that is there were plenty of posts I read from guys that have forgotten more about gas/glow engines than I'll probably ever know) I have both Saito and OS four strokes and both have been great motors for me. One of the guys I fly at the field with has nothing but Magnum brand fs motors and from what I have witnessed they have given him zero issues and if the right deal had come along when I was looking for a motor I'd have given them a try also.

There have been posts on nitroplanes kits....some good and plenty of negative to go along with it. It is a good looking plane but I clicked on the spare parts and option tab and both the cowl and canopy are "out of stock" Back in February I bought a used nitroplanes yak with a cracked up cowl at a very fair price on a whim......and the cowl is still out of stock.(initially was informed by NP that it would be 6 weeks) I've decided to just move forward and try and repair the cowl the best I can and chalk it up to experience. The plane will more than likely be a one and done due to a lack of parts.... I'm destined to crack a few things up in my endeavors.....replacement parts is huge. Looking at another one of my planes (Great Planes Little Toni) there seems to be more of a selection of replacement parts.....

Good luck in your transition...just from the club I fly at....most of the people are making the transition the other way. Welcome to the "wet" side!
dragonsm is offline Find More Posts by dragonsm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, AL
Joined Feb 2012
345 Posts
Thanks guys for your help. After doing more research I have decided that I am gonna go with the 2-stroke engines as they require less repair and maintenance. I have bought several planes from Nitroplanes and I agree some of their kits are less than perfect and finding parts are a nightmare!!! Could you gentleman point me in the direction of a good ARF version to start with something like a T-28 type of trainer. I know how to fly well (electrics that is) but I am not familiar at all with nitro models and or balsa and covering for that matter. There is a gentleman that is a diehard gasser at our field and I will be doing most of this under his supervision. I am just so tired of endless nights of charging batteries haha.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Ok, first a T-28 might be considered a trainer in the foam electric world, but in nitro you are considered crazy to try something like that. Since you do have experience in "the way the sticks go" I will reccomend a low wing "advanced" trainer such as a escapade or if you want to do a kit a sig four star 40.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
Ok, first a T-28 might be considered a trainer in the foam electric world, but in nitro you are considered crazy to try something like that. Since you do have experience in "the way the sticks go" I will reccomend a low wing "advanced" trainer such as a escapade or if you want to do a kit a sig four star 40.
Gotta agree here 110%... Great Planes Escapade 40. Hangar 9 Pulse 40. Sig Four Star 40 (aka Four* 40). Any of these planes with a good .46 size glow will be a perfect way to jump in. An OS 55AX is even better!!

Nitro/glow is great once you get the hang of it and yes, it involves a little clean-up after your done flying. You will hear horror stories about the "slimy mess" etc. but don't let that worry you. 5 or 10 minutes after your done flying with some paper towels and she looks as good as new. You will need some basic field equipment such as glow fuel, a way to get the fuel into the plane (manual or electric pump), a glow plug ingnitor to get it started, electric starter etc... The list can get pretty long but the guys at your field will help you with that.

Good luck and let us know what you go with.
flyboy9994 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy9994
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:38 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Scanner. I got one and was dead easy to fly as not only first glow but first non trainer. Flew solo on it from maiden till now
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:24 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,064 Posts
+1 on the Escapade. I have a .60 size with a Saito FG14 (gasoline) in it. It is a dream to fly.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
My Escapade .61 is almost done. OS 75AX powerhouse! Can't wait...
flyboy9994 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy9994
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, AL
Joined Feb 2012
345 Posts
Thanks for all the info and suggestions I was a bit worried about the fact they would fly different than the electrics so I will take your suggestions and go with the escapade. I have quite a bit of experiece with electrics anything from 3d flying to a Scimitar and so on. Not to mention hundreds of hours on a simulator but it is always different in real life and thats what has me worried about these nitros. My doctor says to quit flying due to my stress level haha but he has decided he wants to get into it. PLus this is not bad stress this is LOVE haha. Keep the suggestions coming guys thanks again