HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
922 Posts
Discussion
Aileron differential on a warbird?

Which planes need aileron differential? Is it a function of wing configuration (high-, mid-, or low-wing)?

What flight characteristic would you observe in a plane that made you think, "Oh, this plane needs more aileron differential"? Or less. Or none.
10AE is online now Find More Posts by 10AE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
A lot of biplanes will benefit from some aileron differential, helps with the adverse yaw, that a lot of them suffer. People get used to flying like a low wing fighter type, and forget that the rudder is there and how it works when the tail drags through turns, and the aileron causes the plane to sideslip, or crab as it rolls.

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10AE View Post
Which planes need aileron differential?
Only the ones fitted with wings :-)
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
922 Posts
Quote:
Only the ones fitted with wings :-)
Ooh, that's a lot. :-) Is there a good starting point for how much to use? My Sundowner manual specified 7mm up and 4mm down. Down travel is 57% of up travel. Is that a decent starting point?

Craig, Is that a Niuport 28 in your avatar? Nice. I have the Electrifly SPAD XIII and Nieuport 11. I was asking mostly for my Mustang, but maybe the bipes will get some diff as well.
10AE is online now Find More Posts by 10AE
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:39 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10AE View Post
Ooh, that's a lot. :-) Is there a good starting point for how much to use? My Sundowner manual specified 7mm up and 4mm down. Down travel is 57% of up travel. Is that a decent starting point?

Craig, Is that a Niuport 28 in your avatar? Nice. I have the Electrifly SPAD XIII and Nieuport 11. I was asking mostly for my Mustang, but maybe the bipes will get some diff as well.
Heya, if they recommend that I the manual I would give it a whirl, I can't say I have ever seen a manual that gave a measurement though so kudos to them!
The pic is of my Sopwith Pup, she flys like a dream, but does suffer from the trait, I have never bothered to adjust it out, preferring to instead get really used to using the rudder, much more fun and more realistic for these old types I think. More pics of her in my blog if you want a better one

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps