HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
Discussion
Very, very bad crash.

RC airplane, tragic crash! (3 min 29 sec)
RCFlightman is offline Find More Posts by RCFlightman
Last edited by RCFlightman; Jul 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:33 PM
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined May 2010
438 Posts
well you didnt exactly grease that landing!

What happened? Radio issues? OR was it downwind? thats what it looked like :*
RCSwitz18 is offline Find More Posts by RCSwitz18
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:41 AM
Skilled crasher
Ukraine, Kyiv city, Kiev
Joined Oct 2010
82 Posts
You should attach your gear with neylon screws. I've seen a few times when they saved an airplane in a very rough landing.
On the video we can see gear breaking the airplane in halves.
sashaNar is offline Find More Posts by sashaNar
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
***That was not my plane***
The piliot was just coming in too fast.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFlightman View Post
***That was not my plane***
The piliot was just coming in too fast.
It looks like the pilot was coming in way too slow &/or with the wind, like he didn't really know what he was doing.

Just guessing but It seems like the huge size of the aircraft could create deceptive visual feedback - maybe the perception is that the airplane appears to be flying faster due to years of experience covering the same distance with smaller aircraft.

With a fully functional airplane and adequate speed, the skill required to land is much easier, control is better. The right wing dipped way down numerous times on the approach. With greater speed - and skill - this boo boo looks like it could have been totally avoidable.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
Yea, well anyway, does any body have feedback on the video stabilision? Its from the youtube editiong options.
Is it good or bad?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
429 Posts
Trying to land om high rates and way too fast for this plane. It will land at a walk. Looks like someone new to 3d planes and did not set up expo or low rates
RobMason is online now Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,859 Posts
Not sure how it could have been coming in too fast when it obviously stalled from about 3 feet up and slammed down breaking off the gear and nose. I am pretty sure he was way too slow or coming in with a tail wind, or both. Bigger planes look like they are going slower than they really are usually and look like they are landing at a walking pace but they are really going 10-15 mph.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,444 Posts
I see you used the shaky video correction from Youtube.

It doesn't look very good, the video is all distorted. I would remove it if I was you.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:11 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
IMO it just looked like the pilot was behind it the entire time, and the rates were too mushy (not enough) to correct for it. Plane went up, he pushed down, plane when down, he tried to pull up and BAM! Dead plane.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:12 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,559 Posts
That video looks very much like the "landing" I had with my little park zone extra 300 that tore the gear out.
The cause in my case was at least:
- a little more airplane than the pilot (me) was quite ready for.
- a slightly tail heavy CG
- too much expo on too low rates.
Took me a while to realize that last one - what was happening is I'd move the stick, not much would happen, I'd get nervous and move it more, and too much would happen. And so on with attempting to correct that.
There may have been other factors I'm unaware of. I'm doing better with less expo and the CG shifted forward a bit.

One thing I'm wondering about - how can you tell the difference between a stall, and an over correction by the pilot from watching the video?

- Ken
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
You can usually tell by the movement in the controll surfaces. In this case it was over correction.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Quote:
how can you tell the difference between a stall, and an over correction by the pilot from watching the video
even the low pass was over corrected, and the approach was going that way from the start. Looks like simple pilot error to me, reacting to the model, not flying it.
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,859 Posts
Hmm could be, I thought it was a stall but its hard to tell exactly. Looks kind of like my first attempts at landing my Pete n Poke before I added expo to the controls Luckily my hard landing only slightly cracked the plywood side of the plane where the landing gear mount attaches to the inside of the fuse.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:10 PM
Space power
United States, IA, Hampton
Joined May 2012
313 Posts
Definitely not a stall. I have seen that exact thing while instructing in full scale. you are coming in to land get hit with a small gust or just pitch up too fast and the plane balloons. The common, yet wrong, action is to release back pressure and the plane dives back down too quick to react to. The correct action is to maintain the stick position and even add a little throttle if it seems a little slow. This will slow the descent and allow you to stabilize the approach. The instant you relax that back pressure it will dive, when you maintain the pressure it will still start to drop the nose and start a rapid descent but it will be a more controlled descent and you will still have some airspeed to play with. If you are too near your stall speed you have to either go around or use throttle, not the elevator, to slow your descent.
cfircav8r is online now Find More Posts by cfircav8r