HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:30 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Build Log
3 meter Wilga build

Hi guys over the past 6 months a good friend of mine has been involved in the development of a new 3 meter Wilga, anyhow over the past few weeks I have started putting this one together as a first production run.

So far I'm really happy with the quality and finish, like any ARF there are a couple of things that need work to sort but after all this is the first batch and offers great value for money.

Some basic stuff, 3 meter span ,fibreglass fuse, builtup timber wing tail and fin, all removable for transportation, cnc sprung alloy UC
The model is designed for motors from 100cc, I'm fitting a King 140 thats been looking for a home and fits like it was made for the model.

All the hardware you see in the model is what it comes with and is to a very high quality and is built to last.

If you like what you see you too can have one from Dragon RC sales@dragonrc.com.au
The web site will be up and running in 4 weeks and will be www.dragonrc.com.au
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Last edited by Big Nuts 181; Jul 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Hi
Very nice Wilga.It looks like well made.Nice color also.
Have fun with it .
Daniel
Discusdan1 is offline Find More Posts by Discusdan1
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Beautiful plane! I don't have any gassers and it always makes me giggle when I see such a big engine next to such a small fuel tank . I think some of my .40s have that same size tank!
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:12 AM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,693 Posts
Nice!
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Tah, the tank in this one is 50oz for the moment, I've measured up for the 100oz from Dubro and if fits like it was maid for it, my guess is I will only get 15 minutes to a tank but as I havnt run this motor before its all guess work at this point, the rear exit canisters will be here in a couple of days.
One thing I forgot to mention, in thr original model the floor went from one side of the fuse to the other, can't say I liked that idea so I cut mine out and remounted it to the floor with an additional frame around the sides and all glassed in with resin and cotton flock I'm also going to add some extra ply to the Undercariage mount to help tie the structure to the floor.

That's it for now Rossco.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Aug 2011
268 Posts
Rossco!! Very very nice I Love It! Great job!! Paul
dufek paul is offline Find More Posts by dufek paul
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181 View Post
Tah, the tank in this one is 50oz for the moment, I've measured up for the 100oz from Dubro and if fits like it was maid for it, my guess is I will only get 15 minutes to a tank but as I havnt run this motor before its all guess work at this point, the rear exit canisters will be here in a couple of days.
One thing I forgot to mention, in thr original model the floor went from one side of the fuse to the other, can't say I liked that idea so I cut mine out and remounted it to the floor with an additional frame around the sides and all glassed in with resin and cotton flock I'm also going to add some extra ply to the Undercariage mount to help tie the structure to the floor.

That's it for now Rossco.
That fuselage must be HUGE because that tank looks so much smaller than 50oz
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Yah it's a big bugger I can litterally get my shoulders through the side windows.... This is why I build big planes..... Just wait for the half scale Pawnee......
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Hi all well my cans turned up this morning things are only taped together at the moment but what I am thinking is a ply former outside the fuse with half moons cut in and some petrol fuel line to give a cushioning effect and using large o-rings to hold the cans in place, this allows the cans to move and to grow as they get hot. Clearances are a little tight but this will work, for me I'm running Dle 170 cans from my mate in Perth shipped to my door overnight from the other side of the country.

Awsome customer service from Scott at DL Engines and Hobbies Ausratralia.

I just have to get the headers braised and were good to go in the motor department These are nice cans! And no dents as I have seen time again with 3W canisters, I guess you pay extra for that!

cheers Rossco.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Hi guys since posting I've had a few people message me asking how to buy this plane in the States. Having spoken with my friend Michael at Dragon Rc, he is prepared to do a Wilga shipment to the states with sufficient numbers, pricing at this point for 15 aircraft hasn't been established but will let you know shortly so first up we need a list of interested people,
The Wilgas are available in my yellow scheeme, red, white and I dare say for a little extra can be customized to suit.
So what you need to do is add yourself buy emailing Michael at sales@dragonrc.com.au so he. An organize a container.

Cheers Rossco
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
I'll be the first! Post if you want one and I'll add it to this post.
SZD-16
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16 View Post
I'll be the first! Post if you want one and I'll add it to this post.
SZD-16
RRP I am told will be similar to HAnger 9 Pawnee but with glass fuse.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Ok got some more done over the past couple of days and have made a canister mount from 1/4 ply and laminated both sides with 6K carbon for some bling factor. To line the mout I have used big bore silicon fuel line. The hole lot was then masked off and glue to the bottom with Resin and cotton flock. T hold the cans into place I'm using big O-Rings.

Doesn't get any simpler than that!

cheers Rossco.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Had a good build session this morning getting the rudder finalised as well finalising the linkage for the tailwheel, having said that I now need more throw on the tailwheel and trim the excess tailwheel stem. I decided also to add a cable guides for both rudder and tailwheel cables using some scrap inner nyrod.
Another step closer.....