HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Question
KK2 gain question

Hi, I have a KK2 FC and using it in a F450 quad frame, 750kV NTM motors and 1045 props with SimonK flashed 30A escs. 3P1S 2200mah battery.

The quad generally seems unresponsive and uncontrollable, thought it was an issue with the gains and set these up by doing the above the head setup and increasing the Pgain first..

Finally got it oscillating Pgain at 260. This seems very high, however, I am using SimonK flashed ESC's.

Reduced Pgain to 210 and left Igain at 0, headed into garden and lifted off without issue, however, it then continued to drift back and right with no real control. Big stick inputs had no real effect.

With receiver test all inputs are correct, centred at 0 across the board and give +-100 with full throws. D/R at 60% and stick settings at 30,30,50,100 as stock.

Any ideas or help with setting this up.
ushills is offline Find More Posts by ushills
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:32 AM
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
If you are flying in auto level, turning the P gain up under the auto level settings will actually increase your stick response, if I recall correctly.
kauaicuda is offline Find More Posts by kauaicuda
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaicuda View Post
If you are flying in auto level, turning the P gain up under the auto level settings will actually increase your stick response, if I recall correctly.
Not flying in autolevel, self-level is off and it seemed to prevent any input working.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
Try backing off your P gains then, until your stick response improves, perhaps you can reach a happy medium.

I'm running gains that seem to be quite a lot higher than other folks, but not nearly as high as ~200.

Also, I would leave your D/R and expo at zero, see if the quad responds well, then tweak the stick scaling a bit, then add some expo if you desire.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
TBH I've had the same problem with Pgain from 50 to 200, it almost appears as if the FC is not doing anything.

This is my first quad although I have decent experience of CP heli, 450 and 500 size and I know they aren't inherently stable but this is unflyable.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
Try the stick scaling. Changing it by a value of 10 has big results.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Try the stick scaling. Changing it by a value of 10 has big results.
Thanks will try that, can you advise what your is at and any D/R on your transmitter.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
I have my scaling at around 55 and I can do pretty quick and easy flips and rolls with that. Not instant, though. Zero expo. Thats on a 450mm wood quad with 1050kv scorpion motors aand 8 inch props.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
I have my scaling at around 55 and I can do pretty quick and easy flips and rolls with that. Not instant, though. Zero expo. Thats on a 450mm wood quad with 1050kv scorpion motors aand 8 inch props.
Thanks, do you have your dual/rates on your transmitter at 100% or something else.

PS also what is you Height Damping and Height limit set at.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
95 Posts
I also have the same concern. I'm using flashed dys 30a esc's on a diy frame.
Seems I can turn up the gains way up into the 400's on both P and I and bearly see oscilations. If you listen closely you can hear the motors oscilating specially on acceleration. So, guiding myself with the sound of the motors, I set my P gain to 185. Then I tried to adjust the I gain but that was harder to make out so I left it the same as P (185)

I'm liking the settings but I don't know if they are the best. There seems to be a very wide marging where there are no noticable changes.

Here are the rest of my settings so far.

P 185
P limit 100
I 185
I limit 20

min throtle 20

Hight dampening 25
Hight D limit 10

stick scaling

D/R 75
EXPO 50

Anyone have a concrete explanation for the high gains on flashed esc's?
I'm also wondering what the P and I limits will do.
zenman is online now Find More Posts by zenman
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:31 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Sorry to drag this back up, but I'm on a HAL frame and seeing the same thing, SimonK ESC's and I'm up at about 260 before I start to hear the motor oscilations, No matter how high I go I can't see them. I gain I'm just setting at 50% of P gain but very few people seem to mention having their gains this high. It still flys ok, but again, first quad and it makes me nervous to appear to be so far from the norm with the gain settings
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Jul 2012
95 Posts
What kind of props are you using? I was using plastic 8" props, but now I use GF carbon reinforced props. The differance is night and day. I have gradualy brought my gains down to 120 P and 100 I. If I shake the controls I can still see it oscillate, but it still flies well.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:40 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
I'm on 10x4.5 props, however I took it out to big park over the weekend with a lot of wind (too much to fly in really) and then saw the oscillations immediatly. I didn't get it tuned again as it really was too windy but pulling all the P gains down to 40 got it controllable.

I'll head back out to the park on a quieter day and see how high I can go. Lesson learned, don't tune gains in the small back yard with no real wind
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:08 AM
Joined Jul 2012
95 Posts
If you are flying with SL turned on and the p gain is high, you will see the oscilations more specialy on a windy day.