Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:22 AM
Not da momma!
mrmarc's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
Mini-HowTo
V911 Night Glow (Canopy LED Mod) and Maiden Flight

I came up with this and thought it'd be nice for my first share, although I do apologize in advance if someone else has already shared this or something similar.

Quote:
Backstory: Although I just got my V911 and 9958, I'm already having to begin modding/repairing them. No biggie. This was expected. My 9958 is grounded until the CNC head parts come in, so I'm left with my V911. Unfortunately, I'm currently really only able to fly at night due to the long hours I've been having to put in at work-- SalesForce--and that in itself makes the already somewhat difficult transition to 4CH flight for me just that much harder. I needed a way to not only better see the bird but to also see which way it's facing.
Since I was already soldering stuff onto the receiver board, I figured I may as well attach an LED. I had a few 3mm LED's I removed from my 3CH coaxials laying around, but it was the big nose LED from my DH9101 that I liked best. I just soldered it to the battery joints on the board such that it would light up the canopy from the inside instead of actually showing the LED on the outside.


Took her out to the parking lot across the street, and I was just

I found that this mod also made it easier to find the helicopter in the event of a crash into some bushes or a tree or from long range. I suppose it would help in the event of a fly-off as well.

mc-V911 Night Glow (Canopy LED) Mod + Maiden Flight (2 min 4 sec)


Flybar strike -> Crash -> Separated swash plate T_T
mrmarc is offline Find More Posts by mrmarc
Last edited by mrmarc; Jul 10, 2012 at 04:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
90 Posts
Very nice. It looks like a ghost flying in the dark. What was the effect on the flying time?
eagle75 is offline Find More Posts by eagle75
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:49 AM
Not da momma!
mrmarc's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle75 View Post
Very nice. It looks like a ghost flying in the dark. What was the effect on the flying time?
Almost none if any at all. It's just one LED and it's draw is only 20mA. I can't recall what the resistor was rated at, but if I'm not mistaken, I'm also running the LED at around 2v. The heavier wires I installed are probably affecting flight times more than the LED.

I can't wait for my parts to come in for my 9958 now that I've added an LED to it as well. I had to put her motor in the V911.
mrmarc is offline Find More Posts by mrmarc
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:20 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,722 Posts
Thats just awesome, though you should try getting the entire canopy lit up with 2 weaker leds at the sides.

And possibly light up the tail to but the wiring for that would look ugly :<

Edit: Ill likely try something similar with my v911 once it arrives, as its perfect for night flights. Will see if any of my local electronic stores has UV leds as that might be the ultimate night flyer depending on how strong those would be compared to normal leds .
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:16 AM
Aaron qin's Avatar
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
837 Posts
Equipped with some glow sticks will also make your heli more charming in the night.
These small glow sticks can also be binded with any helis with some adhesive tape.
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin View Post
Equipped with some glow sticks will also make your heli more charming in the night.
These small glow sticks can also be binded with any helis with some adhesive tape.
Glowsticks may be fun but they weigh to much and is one time use. I'd rather just solder on a couple of leds and add a small amount of uv paint.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:56 AM
Not da momma!
mrmarc's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Thats just awesome, though you should try getting the entire canopy lit up with 2 weaker leds at the sides.

And possibly light up the tail to but the wiring for that would look ugly :<

Edit: Ill likely try something similar with my v911 once it arrives, as its perfect for night flights. Will see if any of my local electronic stores has UV leds as that might be the ultimate night flyer depending on how strong those would be compared to normal leds .
Yeah, I'm going to switch to surface mount LED's once I figure out where to mount them--much brighter and lighter.

Instead of UV paint, you could use glow-in-the-dark parts. Aren't the white pieces on the SP glow-in-the-dark? I know the mCX has aftermarket glow pieces.
mrmarc is offline Find More Posts by mrmarc
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:17 PM
Registered User
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarc View Post
Yeah, I'm going to switch to surface mount LED's once I figure out where to mount them--much brighter and lighter.

Instead of UV paint, you could use glow-in-the-dark parts. Aren't the white pieces on the SP glow-in-the-dark? I know the mCX has aftermarket glow pieces.
Possibly, but i only want some minor decals to glow in the dark, so ill stick to uv paint. Though, best would be a decent UV Marker Pen. That is if it actually sticks to the plastic.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:58 PM
Not da momma!
mrmarc's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Possibly, but i only want some minor decals to glow in the dark, so ill stick to uv paint. Though, best would be a decent UV Marker Pen. That is if it actually sticks to the plastic.
Now you have me wanting to try this myself. LoL

If you mount the LEDs internally you will want to use the UV pen on the inside anyway. It should stick and also not chip off from crashes.

I'm going to have to find me some surface mount UV LEDs.
mrmarc is offline Find More Posts by mrmarc
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
Aaron qin's Avatar
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Glowsticks may be fun but they weigh to much and is one time use. I'd rather just solder on a couple of leds and add a small amount of uv paint.
haha,nope,only 2g (4 glow sticks)
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:52 PM
Not da momma!
mrmarc's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin View Post
haha,nope,only 2g (4 glow sticks)
"Too heavy" is relative. In this context, that's quite a bit of additional weight, IMHO. For a quad-copter, it probably isn't.

mrmarc is offline Find More Posts by mrmarc
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
Aaron qin's Avatar
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarc View Post
"Too heavy" is relative. In this context, that's quite a bit of additional weight, IMHO. For a quad-copter, it probably isn't.

you are right!but for a quadcopter(2g) is very light,but the heli usually only needs 2 or 3 glow sticks.
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:56 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,484 Posts
I bet the reports of UFO sightings are going to increase with this modding. But I must say, it looks eerily well. Nice job!
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:51 AM
Not da momma!
mrmarc's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I bet the reports of UFO sightings are going to increase with this modding. But I must say, it looks eerily well. Nice job!
lol, thanks.

Actually, I just got back from my night flight across the street after cleaning up my battery tray mods, and I overheard the group of "kids" hanging out by the cars parked on the street saying just that.

Ugh...I'm getting more and more anxious to move up to a 6CH now.
mrmarc is offline Find More Posts by mrmarc
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:15 PM
New to RC hobby
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Nov 2011
31 Posts
I found unused pads on the PCB which can be used to solder the SMD LED.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10190
mvadu is offline Find More Posts by mvadu
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Night flight led conf. brifa FPV Talk 33 Jul 10, 2012 12:11 PM
Sold LED Night Flight System - Aiplane Kit pilot_keeter Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Jul 06, 2012 09:17 PM
For Sale (2) Trex600E Canopys, night gear, (2) 2S lipos, LED's, ETC!!! ($50 shipped) Boomkidd Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 6 Jun 17, 2012 05:13 PM
Build Log Slow Stick for AP with Mods, Aiptek cam mod, Strip LEDS for night flight(Plane RTF) TaSaJaRa Aerial Photography 44 Sep 08, 2009 09:01 AM