HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:53 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,951 Posts
There's a simple cure for your problem. Research a boat before you buy one. With all of the RC boat forums sites and videos on You Tube it's fairly easy to window shop before you buy. none of the RTR boats are flawless out of the box. If you've ever owned RC cars and trucks you'll see where there's tons of aftermarket parts available as they're covering the weak spots. I've seen parts on the shelves at my LHS's before the vehicle itself was out!
A lot of peole got (I hate to use the word) Suckered into buy the ProBoat Miss Bud's when they first came out. Why? Walk into the hobby shop and there's a product that everybody knows, the beer and the boat. Unfortunately many of the buyers didn't have a clue as to how to work on or run the thing! Not long afterwards you could buy a barely used one super-cheap.
There's a lot of fast electric boats now on the market as they're flooding RC sales sites. A lot of them also are pure junk so choose wisely. Go out and buy those $100.00 battery packs and chargers. Sit along the shore while you wait for the packs to cool down and recharge.

As a final thought (for now), I wonder how that a boat that was supposedly never run had a lot of spilled fuel in the bottom of it, enough to melt the resin. Something just doesn't sound right there. In your own words something smells to high Heaven:

The prior owner had installed flotation noodles in the front and back of the hull and the cover, epoxied the entire accessible hull, and upgraded? the cooling by putting a pickup tube behind the prop.
He said it has never been run??? What do you think?
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Yeah sounds like a lot of crap to me. It was my first and last rc boat. I did not think I would have to deal with something like a fuel leak ruining the most important part of the boat. Oh well can't go back now. I just want to get whatever I can back.

The fuel leaked out while I was at work. When I came back the nitro had eaten through a quarter sized spot under the tank. Just rediculous.
Pa Yankee is offline Find More Posts by Pa Yankee