HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:17 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Where should the main-boom be when close-hauled?
Whiskers
To address the question you asked regarding set position when "close hauled" I have attached a diagram that should provide you with a good starting point for set up your sails. I have shared this with quite a few forum members and they felt it provides a good general sail set up. Once you look at it you'll have a better idea.

I don't remember if you shared with us the type radio you are using. If you have a full featured radio you can really maximize your control over your sails.

I'll explain. Looking at the diagram and assuming you have set you sails in the close hauled position shown, which has the booms at 15 degrees off of center, if you establish a set point on your radio you can to bring the sail all the way in to Zero degrees. This sail position can be used in conditions to compensate for wind that this position can provide control and power to the boat.

I am sure one of the guys can explain in sailing jargon when zero degrees is a good thing. The diagram's sail set up works for most boats and as you get to know your boat you can fine tune from this point.

Hope this is of value.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:53 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,164 Posts
Thanks for that,Boomer. It'll be a good starting point. (So I can start to point)
The radio I grabbed is a cheap HK 2.4 very basic unit. It has,however, excellent range. I've had it quite wide and speck-high in a glider. It's not a computer radio, but it has servo reversing and trim sliders . It's performance so far has been rock solid.
The way I was trying to use it is to sheet in to zero with the stick back (low throttle Ch3) and then ease the sheets to a close hauled setting with the trim slider. Then zero stick becomes the close-hauled setting. After that the plan was just to do a visual trim with the stick for running and reaching.
But in my hurry to get into the water after all the previous radio drama I was a bit, "That's near enough." The main and jib were not in a cooperative relationship.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:19 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Where should the main-boom be when close-hauled?
Noted Boomer has answered this comprehensively, maybe just to add a little:

For a quick setup:
First - set the winch close hauled (trim centred).
Next aim the jib boom at the shrouds
Finally aim the main boom at the corner of the transom.
The end result is that the booms are not quite parallel - jib is a little further out. This seems to work Ok on the Shunbo boats.

The other thing to note with the Shunbo range is that the jib sheet does not wind as tightly onto the winch drum as the main, and sometimes the jib sheet will even bunch up in the winch. You can see this while sailing by the result - the jib boom finishes up closer hauled than the main boom after a bit of sailing. I have observed as being more of a problem in light air sailing. This is also a bigger issue with the smaller Shunbo boats (eg Surmount) as the smaller jib does not easily haul the jib sheet from below deck... not so much with the larger boats, but neeeds watching.
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,164 Posts
Excellent! Thank you MrP
Yes indeed, I can see lots of potential for jib-sheet malfunctions. I'll try to be careful.
I've dug out my piece of sheet lead and rolled it flat so we'll see how that goes after I make the new mast-head fitting.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:01 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,438 Posts
mrpenguin - good thoughts on the Shunbo boats. It's been a long time since I had one, I had forgotten your very accurate observations and "spot on" remarks!

Wiskers
Take a look at the counter balance weight on the boat pictured below. I included a catalog page from Sailsetc.com showing their weights should you consider adding one to your boat. I was not aware of these when I had my Monsoon but think had I installed one on the jib boom it would have improved my control of the jib movement.
Just a thought.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,164 Posts
Boomer, I had noticed those weights on the local IOM fleet and I have had it in mind to find out the science behind them.
My boat has a fore-stay standing the mast and the jib works independently of the stay.
To use the weight I'd need to rig the boat similar to the boat in the picture, which would probably be a Good Thing.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,164 Posts
OK, so the new mast-head fitting is in place.
I grabbed a length of T section alloy and chopped out the replacement part.
The mast is slotted to keep things lined up.
It all seems nice and solid, and it was an easy fix.
Old Jan 06, 2014, 09:21 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,164 Posts
I'm still new to RC sail even though I've had my boat for some time.
Building the new and smaller rig has dragged out far too long, but now it's done.
It's all scratch built from 'non boat' parts so it cost next to nothing.
We tested it recently on a local lake. Unfortunately the breeze was almost zero, much better suited to the original rig, but it seemed to sail OK.
Looking forward to having another go in a fresher breeze.
Last edited by Whiskers; Jan 06, 2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:57 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,164 Posts
I have had another go in a fresher breeze and enjoyed sailing with the smaller rig.
Cruised the boat around for about 2 hours on a nice lake while relaxing in a comfortable chair under a shady tree.
Lovely...
Old May 22, 2014, 09:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,164 Posts
Sailed my boat for many hours yesterday. The breeze was very light but the thing moves quite well in these conditions with the big (original) rig on it.
Late in the afternoon little birds were darting around, as they do, and I saw one think about landing on the mast head. It didn't do it then, but when I brought the boat back, close hauled, from the other side of the lake there was one of the birds perching on the masthead crane neat as can be. I now know the bird to be a Fairy Martin.
I love stuff like that...
Old May 23, 2014, 03:44 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
461 Posts
@Whiskers:

Yes if you sail for a while you see all sorts of life.

We share one pond with a couple of platypus, they are curious about the boats sometimes, At another dam we had black swans swimming around in the course during the race, great stuff!
Old May 23, 2014, 07:29 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,164 Posts
Platypus! Now that makes me really envious.
What are the rules when swans are on the course? Do they enforce Right of Way, or are they well mannered and behave as is appropriate for the spectator fleet?
Old May 23, 2014, 05:53 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
461 Posts
Livestock has right of way, because they cannot tell port from starboard....
Old Jul 03, 2014, 01:24 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,164 Posts
I have taken the saw to the original mast of the HK "Sailor" and lopped thirteen and a quarter inches from the mid section and rejoined it with a hardwood plug epoxied in place.
The original main sail has been trimmed to fit and a jib from a "Monsoon" fits the shortened mast quite well.
Here's a short clip of the first test sail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToE1...ature=youtu.be
I have made a mistake in the title where I say the mast is docked thirteen and a half inches.
Last edited by Whiskers; Jul 03, 2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:27 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,164 Posts
Here's what it looks like with the pruned rig.
A lot of rake needed to come off the mast during tuning.