HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,441 Posts
QUOTE=D design;22287200]you will get board pretty quickly if you sail by yourself. I recommend getting a Micro magic and doing some racing with that and if you like it you can take it another step and get a international one meter. but if you just want to do some scale cruzing for a short period of time that's all good.[/QUOTE]

To be sure, the vast majority of sailors either full size or rc don't race their boats. It is clear that most sailing is done for the pleasures found within the experience.

Racing can for some add to that experience, not so much for others. I enjoy sailing my boats solo, in a group setting, in an informal friendly "who gets to the mark first" kind of thing, or in a formal racing invironment. Frankly, I just enjoy getting out there and enjoying the surroundings, the fresh air and seeing the grace in which a sailboat moves across a body of water. There is satisfaction in advancing ones skills as a skipper and to mastering the use of the wind to power these wonderful models around the lakes and ponds we sail.

The issue of recomending a particular boat, in this case you mention Nirvana and Micro Magics, they just happen to be two of the most popular rc sailboats out there and for many good reasons.

I have both of boats and quite of few others which I am very fond of. I am however objective about all of the boats I have owned and sailed. Like most of the fellows that offer their insights/opinions they like yours are given with the best of intentions.

The fun comes in when the receipent sorts through all the information provided - I know whatever their choice, it will be a good choice for them and want them to feel good about their choice and to go forward to enjoy their new boat to the full extent possible.

The information that can be gained from reading and participating in this and other forums has made a hugh difference for me. When I started in RC I knew "bubkus" or less! Over the years I have learned a great deal and I am still learning.

If I need help, this is where I come. Most hobbyshops I' ve been to know little if anything about RC boats -sail or power. They are into aircraft and rolling rc vehicles - try to buy a servo for a boat at your LHS - you might get lucky, most likely, it was because you knew what you wanted.

So for me, I welcome all opinions, recomendations, and suggestions. Add Youtube video to the mix and you can most often see the boats under discussion being sailed by others - which can help in the learning process.

That is my view - for whatever it may or may not be worth.

So Wiskers, whatever boat you end up with, it will be a good choice, and in short order you will be having a great time sailing!

Enjoy
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 28, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:03 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
. Frankly, I just enjoy getting out there and enjoying the surroundings, the fresh air and seeing the grace in which a sailboat moves across a body of water.
Same here, the grace of sailing, and the dynamics between wind, water and the boat. I have been sailing almost daily the last months, and haven't gotten bored a single time.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
I am glad to hear at least some comments to the effect that sailing alone will not become boring after a few sessions. I recently ordered my first rc sailboat (Westward) and it will be the only boat (that I know of) within an 8 hour drive. (We live in bush Alaska)
My intention is to take my micro Champ on floats, micro Cub on floats, and the Westward. Depending on wind, one or more of them should be able to go into action!
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:09 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
495 Posts
Solo sailing is enjoyable, especially if other adults and children are around and you can engage them in talking about sailing and how the boat works with just the wind for power. A few groups have gotten started by just one or two guys talking to strangers and introducing them to the sport of RC sailing. Racing adds another element that satisfies the competitive spirit, if you have one. Racing also gives you a gauge of just how well you have mastered the art, we are all Rocket Man when alone on the water. I believe the enthusiasm expressed by certain boat owners speaks to how much they enjoy that brand and how well it serves a large cross section of sailors, is fine with me.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Last edited by seabee CE; Jul 28, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:08 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
496 Posts
Agree with most of what has been posted about sailing along or racing. When ever I can go sailing it is a great time. I enjoy sailing along (sometimes called winding) knowing that I am the reason that the boat is moving thru the water beautifully. There is a lot to be said about sitting there watching your boat glide gracefully thru the water enjoying the peace and quiet of the day. Then there is the fun of racing and matching wits with others to see who can reach the mark first.
I enjoy both although I must say that after a bad day I would rather be by myself and just sail for the enjoyment and fun of it. I am blessed because I have two groups that I can sail with. One group sails on Thursdays and they just sail for the fun of it, they put out the bouys and just have casual races where no one keeps track of laps or such and make comments about each others boat such as what can be improved with the boat and that, a very relaxing day of sailing. Then we have a group that sails on Sunday that all they do is race no pleasure sailing just race after race, that gets a little intense after awhile and not much fun after a few races.
As far as boats go I get what I like not what everyone else is sailing. We have 3 ODOMS, a US12,T37x and a Westward18. Because I like the looks of them and they way that they sail. Everyone else in the groups has US1s and can not understand why I don't have one as I can't race with them. When I want to race I take a ODOM out although it is at a disadvanage against the US1s becauuse of the weight.
As Boomer says this is just my thoughts.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
I sure appreciate hearing others thoughts and experiences.

When you are sailing solo (likely my only option most of the time) do you set out buoys or do anything else to make it more interesting?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:07 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post

When you are sailing solo (likely my only option most of the time) do you set out buoys or do anything else to make it more interesting?

Good question! It is totally up to you - to be sure having a course set up can really help sharpen your sailing skills, not to mention getting to know your boat.

It would be helpful to do a little reading on how to set up a couse so your course incorporates those guidelines into it.

Food for thought - We have bouys on our lake and it makes for some good fun
especially in high wind situations.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:32 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
Quote:

The sign of a good sailor is when they can consistently move the boat from where it is to where it needs to be in the shortest time and with the least fuss. If it's a turning mark they're going to they should be carrying good boat-speed when they arrive.
So unless you have buoys or something equivalent it's difficult to establish these 'go to' points.
Permanent buoys are in place where I intend to sail, so I'm lucky.

Choice of boat: I don't have one.
My family are giving me the HK Ocean Sailor and I'm going to carefully prepare it, learn to sail it, enjoy it and love it both for what it is and what it represents.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Boomer, do you have any sources of the suggested reading for setting up courses?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Go to the AMYA site.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:09 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,074 Posts
Quote:

I don't set out a course, but sometimes there is a pole or some other object in the water that I use as turning point. I have the always different wind conditions to make it interesting, trying to get the max speed from the wind, and as added challenge, trying to make video of my boat sailing, and controlling it at the same time. I do sometimes sail from one point on the shore to another, and then back. In one direction you might be lucky to get downwind, but then the return trip will more interesting for sure.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
For those that don't have lakes with permanent Bouys it can be difficult to set a course.

An Old link to a simple course laying device.

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Marks1.htm

Using a similar style but with less chain the buoys can be thrown from the lakes edge to great effect.

With a good throw you can get nearly 20m from shore.

For those with a Kayak or somtehing similar this could be a good simple & cheap design
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:32 PM
Rather be flying
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Feb 2009
264 Posts
good bouys

Sections of swimming noodles with a piece of pvc pipe inserted in the hole make good bouys. You can attach a flag to the top for a wind direction indicator as well.
tsudduth is offline Find More Posts by tsudduth
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:21 PM
Sunny South Florida
Joined Sep 2004
213 Posts
These photos should help you creat your own bouys. I used a tolet bowl float.
windwarrior6682 is offline Find More Posts by windwarrior6682
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
I should be getting my boat this Saturday
<rubs hands in gleeful anticipation>
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers