HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
501 Posts
Where is oldnebieflyer located that there are so many evil sailors, I'd like to avoid that place.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:24 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
Where is oldnebieflyer located that there are so many evil sailors, I'd like to avoid that place.
Me to !!
I have run across some of those type. But the best thing to do is learn to sail, learn the rules, and beat them !!! You know you are doing well when they accuse you of cheating !
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:22 PM
Rather be flying
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Feb 2009
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
I don't get my greedy paws on it until the middle of August.
Have you been to your local club to see what they are sailing? If your ever want to try racing, it is best to race against the same class of boats. That way it comes down to the skill of the skipper and not dependent upon the advantage of one design over another.

As for oldnewbies experience, maybe he is not a very competitive person. I would suggest that you try it for yourself and see how you like it. As with any competition, there will be a variety of personalities participating. Some you will like better than others. In my experience, most all of the sailors are more than willing to help less skilled skippers improve and will help with the tuning of your boat for better performance. Equal boats and competitive skippers make for exciting races and lots of fun IMHO. Even while you are learning and improving, beating even one boat will give you a sense of accomplishment. So give it a try and make up your own mind.
tsudduth is offline Find More Posts by tsudduth
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:34 PM
Rather be flying
Joined Feb 2009
273 Posts
thundertiger victoria

I'll go ahead and put in a plug for the Thundertiger Victoria. If there are any of them at your local club, chances are they will be racing. It is a good entry-level boat. It is relatively inexpensive even with having to buy the radio separately. And it has a world-wide following with regattas being held in America, Australia, and Europe.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:23 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,260 Posts
The local guys sail IOM which I guess I'd go for in the future if I feel the need to race. I must admit to being a racer by nature, but perhaps I'm mellowing in my old age... we'll see.
Another lot race the Laser, but I think that's way overpriced for what it is.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:31 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewbieflyer View Post
If you want to have fun stay away from racing.
With all due respect, were we to all stay away from racing based on your experience, it would be a very sad thing. Your experience is the exception, not the rule.

Again, it is unfortunate that you have had such an unpleasant experience, but to suggest not racing seems a tad extreme.

I have raced since I was a teenager, while I don't race as much as in the past, I see no reason to stop at this point of my life. It is a fact the most rc sailors don't get into racing, but many do and enjoy it!

Racing is a great way to learn and to sharpen one's skills as a skipper not to mention learning to fine tune your boat. We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. Which is OK.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:15 AM
Rather be flying
Joined Feb 2009
273 Posts
the benefits of racing

Boomer is spot on. I have been racing sail boats since I was a kid. First as the crew for my dad on an Intl. 470 and later with the Victoria. There is no better way to gage your progress than to pit your skills as a skipper against another.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
The local guys sail IOM which I guess I'd go for in the future if I feel the need to race. I must admit to being a racer by nature, but perhaps I'm mellowing in my old age... we'll see.
Whiskers,
A top IOM will cost a lot more than Laser, the Laser is a kit boat and very strick on things you can change (radio is all I think), it is a greta class if you want true on design racing.

I have to agree with what every one has said about racing, you will always get one or two in a group that are over top and most of the time these guys think they know the rules.
Racing is great way to see how fast you have your boat going.

As for Qld if and when you decide to get into racing classes to choose from would be
Micro Magic - Large following in Qld cheap boat that allows mod's but very social sailing
Laser - don't know the numbers but growing in Australia
IOM - Proberly the largest class sailed/Raced in Aus
EC12 - beautiful older style boats
A - The largest of the International classes and starting to get up there in price
M & 10R - The fastest of the classes and the price tag to go with them.

Hope this helps and good luck keep us informed.

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:

Whiskers

I suggest taking a gander at the Qld website for your region... http://www.rc-yachts.net/

The Club Contacts list will divert to the an updated Club & Class contact list & the main QRYA website..

This one is more correct than the ones listed with ARYA. And the websites keeps track of local events happening in the area.

Most clubs tend to sail several classes so the choice will be yours..

Cheers

John
QRYA 1066
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,260 Posts
Thanks for the information on racing and the valuable links.
Personally I'll need to feel I can tune and sail a boat reasonably well before I think about racing.
A year or so ago a guy handed me the Tx and let me sail his IOM. I was impressed with how well the boat sailed (I imagined that a fair amount of effort and experience had gone into that) I felt that sailing an RC boat was yet another thing that's fairly easy to do, but very hard to do really well.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the information on racing and the valuable links.
Personally I'll need to feel I can tune and sail a boat reasonably well before I think about racing.
A year or so ago a guy handed me the Tx and let me sail his IOM. I was impressed with how well the boat sailed (I imagined that a fair amount of effort and experience had gone into that) I felt that sailing an RC boat was yet another thing that's fairly easy to do, but very hard to do really well.
Whiskers

You are so very right.

If you are looking at a reasonably inexpensive entry in Radio Sailing I would suggest the Micro Magic. A Good Crew in Queensland & lots of help available. It's a great Boat for Social Sailing as well as Racing.

The Class has many levels & is fairly easy to learn how to sail the Boat & slowly learn the black art of sail & boat setup.

http://www.aus.magicmicro.org/news.php

I would suggest sending Graeme Turk a message if you need any info on what & who sails around your area.

Cheers

John
AUS 137
OZ MM Int Rep..
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:27 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
you will get board pretty quickly if you sail by yourself. I recommend getting a Micro magic and doing some racing with that and if you like it you can take it another step and get a international one meter. but if you just want to do some scale cruzing for a short period of time that's all good.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,260 Posts
There's aimless sailing by yoursel,f and then there's constructive sailing training.
I know I'll be able to sail the boat around the waterway in a sort of OK way, as I did in the short session I had with the IOM.
However, that also showed me that I have a lot to learn if I am to be able to sail in a way I consider reasonably competent.
I'm prepared to put in quite a bit of time getting the 'feel.' And educating my thumbs so they understand a sailboat the way they they understand airplanes.
I'm looking forward to it...
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
There's nothing wrong or boring with not racing and just sailing for the sake of sailing, just like with full scale boats. This board is like an ad for MM and Nirvanas - there's hardly a thread, no post, that isn't telling people they have to buy one.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace View Post
There's nothing wrong or boring with not racing and just sailing for the sake of sailing, just like with full scale boats. This board is like an ad for MM and Nirvanas - there's hardly a thread, no post, that isn't telling people they have to buy one.
You're right. As I do only sail for recreation, I value the simple beauty of "battling the wind and waves" to get your boat to move across the water. And although I am sure racing with others would make me a better sailor, and improve my boat, I don't know if it would make it more enjoyable. There is no guarantee there. Some will like it to be in a group, competing on a regular basis, some won't. Each to his own.

If people are suggesting to get a certain boat just because it's "their" class, and they want more support for it, that might indeed be seen as advertizing. However, there are also people that recommend a certain type of boat, just because they've had fine experience with it. When I talk vividly about the Micro Magic, it's because this little boat has given me so much enjoyment lately. And this feeling is shared among many other people, so far I haven't met a person that really disliked the MM. Often the only reason one is sold is because the owner just wants a bigger boat, or because it was bought as a impulse buy, only to find out later they don't like sailing that much, er perhaps even quit RC altogether.

When a type of boat is generally met with so much praise, that enthousiasm has to come out, and a forum like this is a fine place for that. But even people that are just enthousiastic, should be careful not to appear to force a choice upon someone, I agree. Each to his own, but some boats will always be more popular than others. Sometimes deserved, and sometimes because their owners shout louder than others...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member