HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:06 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
Number one rule for me is have fun. No matter what I am smiling !
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:09 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,361 Posts
Yup! If it aint fun... don't do it.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:36 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
It would be pure gold if someone who actually has owned one of these boats could tell me some of the fixes they know it needs and how they did those things.
Whiskers, the shipshaperc.com site has a section on this boat - it is generally referred to as a "Sailor" on the site, well liked and popular, a number of owners are regular contributors. See http://www.shipshaperc.com/index.php...d=21&Itemid=17

There is also much discussion on mods forum members make to this boat - these are not essential to using it - the forum probably has more than its quota of "mad modders" (including me I am afraid...)

You need to be a forum member to see the pics and vids
As mentioned before - you need to buy the eBook to be a forum member...
(Just to make it clear before someone asks - I am a shipshaperc.com forum member - I get nothing from promoting this site)
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,361 Posts
Thanks Mr P. That looks like the place for me.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Whiskers if you are a builder, look into the RG-65 class of sailboat. Plenty of free plans can be found online. All seem pretty simple to build.
http://velarc.net/classe_rg65_eng.htm
Hi Gpzy,

RG65 not a class that is really sailed here in AUS, there is a group in Melbourne that are trying to get in to them as an alternative to the MM, but Qld is the home of the MM in Aus also on of the largest groups for the IOM.

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Whiskers
Pretty much all the Hobbyking boats use the same servo set up and the same rigging materials. I have owned a Monsoon, and once I had made the necessary "fixes" I sailed it trouble free for 2.5 years before selling it to a friend.

I think you understand that for the prices they sell these boats they don't/can't use the highest quality materials or their prices would be higher.

The fact is that their boats work fine once the few things needed to make them fully seaworthy are addressed, they are good starter boats and can provide years of fun.

The well known weaknesses in their boats include the cotton string they use for lines, the painted stamped steel parts, the sail winch is a pain to rewind with new line once the line gives out, and most of their hatches leak and the mast has to be reinforced or it bends. Oh, and their servo trays seem to be poorly bonded to the hull - many get dislodged in transit. That too is easy to fix. For the price, it is not a big decision.

A Nirvana and a Monsoon got me started in this great pastime. I still have a Nirvana. I have 8 RC sailboats now and enjoy them all. I have my favorites of course, but as soneone once said "what ever floats your boat"

If you like RC sailing, you'll likely end up with more expensive boats as I have. I don't regrete buying my Monsoon and can report I learned a lot from the experience.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,361 Posts
Thanks for that, Boomer.
I really appreciate it.
Would it be a good idea to replace the line on the winch before sailing the boat?
If so, what to use?
Any hints on how to do it?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:59 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that, Boomer.
I really appreciate it.
Would it be a good idea to replace the line on the winch before sailing the boat?
If so, what to use?
Any hints on how to do it?
I wouldn't suggest changing it until it is necessary - and you get more familar with the boat in general. Changing the line is a pain at the very least!

A few years back I posted on one of the forums a step by step on "how to" re-wind the winch. The picture below is one of the set, but I must have deleted the others. I will look for the post to see if I can find it again. May take some time - may have been on modelboatmayhem.com

It is tricky due to the plastic cap that goes over the drum to prevent the lines from fouling - Replacment lines have to end up being the same length as the originals.
You need to understand how the drum works and how many rotations the drum makes lock to lock, and which line goes to which of the two sections of the drum.
You have to put weight on each end of the new lines to get them to wind on the drum without getting tangled in the process.

To me, it was a major pain to figure it out and to do it. I don't like this kind of set up.
Much prefer servo arms! I have one boat that has the same set up - and when the line goes, so will the winch. I will install a standard servo arm set up!

Good luck
Boomer
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,361 Posts
OK, I'll stick with the stock setup and try to avoid too many all-standing gybes.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
Rather be flying
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Feb 2009
274 Posts
Have you got your boat yet?

Just wondering if you got your boat yet.
tsudduth is offline Find More Posts by tsudduth
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsudduth View Post
Just wondering if you got your boat yet.
I don't get my greedy paws on it until the middle of August.
It looks like I'll have to buy 10lbs of shot for the (around) 31/2lbs ballast, or I may investigate another source of fine particle lead.
I was reading that you can pour wax in the bulb to hold the lead in place instead of using epoxy. I quite like the idea, but perhaps there are some downsides to this.
Thoughts?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:58 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Quote:
I don't get my greedy paws on it until the middle of August.
It looks like I'll have to buy 10lbs of shot for the (around) 31/2lbs ballast, or I may investigate another source of fine particle lead.
I was reading that you can pour wax in the bulb to hold the lead in place instead of using epoxy. I quite like the idea, but perhaps there are some downsides to this.
Thoughts?
I don't know why wax wouldn't work? I have not tried it and have always used 2 part epoxy without issue.
It would take a little practice to get the viscosity just right for pouring it into the pod - being careful not burn yourself - not sure of the temperature of the wax at that point?
It would have to be somewhat watery to work.
Might be worth a few practice pours to see how it worked. Dive shops sell shot that is not lead and works well - I have uses shot gun pellets I got from Wally World at a resonable price.

I used small paper cups to measure out small amounts of the shot, weighing them ahead of time so I knew how much weight I had in each cup and I knew how much weight I had put in at any given time, and when I had added the desired amount of shot/weight to the pod.

The cups a flexible and are easy to use to pour in the pellets and liquid. I don't mix the shot in the epoxy - I pour in some shot, then some epoxy - shake the pod to get the mixture settled in the nose of the pod, and repete the process until I've filled the pod with the pre-measured shot and epoxy.

Works pretty well.
Boomer

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 21, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2010
12 Posts
Fun

If you want to have fun stay away from racing.
OldNewbieflyer is offline Find More Posts by OldNewbieflyer
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewbieflyer View Post
If you want to have fun stay away from racing.
It sounds like you've had some bad experiences bro.
Care to share?

Boomer: Thanks again for your input. I occasionally make candles, so pouring hot wax is not a new thing for me. But it sure pays off to be good and scared of molten wax.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2010
12 Posts
Lets just say that they can be a little over intense.
OldNewbieflyer is offline Find More Posts by OldNewbieflyer