Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
Question
New to RC Sail

My nearest and dearest are intending to buy me one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17916
What do you think I should do before sailing it so it will have a long and happy life.
I'm a long time dinghy sailor and RC model airplane pilot, so I should be able to handle the sailing part in a rough old way for a start, but I'd like some hints and tips on the 'must do's' and 'should do's' of boat preparation.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,074 Posts
Welcome here. Regarding Hobby King boats, this topic might come in handy: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1684275

General rule, don't expect top quality. Often some modifications are needed to get a well sailing boat, like hatch seals that need work, etc.

Also be aware that the lead ballast weight needed to fill the buld is usually not included in the kit.

Personally, I think there are better boats, and just a little more money. If you don't need a big boat, you might consider a Micro Magic. These are only 500 mm long, but sail awesome. And with a storm rig, you can even go on the water when the wind is over 4 beaufort, to surf the water when going downwind.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:41 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
462 Posts
@Whiskers:
You can find lots of support for this boat and other similar ones at www.shipshaperc.com - this particular unit is considered to be a very nice boat for the money by a number of owners on that forum.

Yes, you will need to fill the keel bulb with fine lead shot or similar. Likely places to get it from would be a gun shop or somewhere that sells diver's weights so I am told...
Installing some flotation is recommended as the only ESSENTIAL modification. Polystyrene or similar cut into strips is great.

You also need a simple 2 channel transmitter and receiver and the relevant batteries....

This is a pretty large boat - 2.2 metres high - if transport is an issue you may want to consider something slightly smaller - maybe one of the 900mm or 1 metre units.... also make sure the pond you are planning to sail is deep enough - this boat is about 500 mm draft....

Hope this helps....
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:50 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
Solo: Thanks for the welcome and the link. There's some good stuff there, but I think I'm on the bottom of a steep learning curve.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:57 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
Mr P: I looked at www.shipshaperc.com but they want me to pay for the information. Gasp!
Actually their price is quite reasonable and I should just get it. But i'd like to tap into the wisdom in this group if possible.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:48 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Whiskers
I see you are in Australia, if you plan on getting into some racing down the track that design is not a class in Australia.
Best to check on the ARYA website for a club nearby
www.radiosailing.org.au

You can pick up some cheap second hand boats if you want to get into some serious racing but please don't be put off when people at clubs tell you that you need to spend $$$$ to be competitive, to be honest you will be at the back of the fleet for the first 12 months learning, tuning and honing you RC sailing skills.

or if you are after a class that is a kit and very big in Qld try
http://aus.magicmicro.org/news.php
Bit smaller and not as serious in the racing rules but you will have some fun and maybe move onto bigger and better things later on.
Can be bought from some Hobby stores new, online at www.radiosailingshop.com.au or try one of the clubs they might have a loan boat or know of cheap second hand ones.

Hope this helps
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:30 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
Mike, racing may come further down the line, but in the short term I'll be just cruising about and trying to come to terms with being on the water and not up in the air.
The MM seems like a nice boat, but it's not what my family are giving me.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:31 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
..... trying to come to terms with being on the water and not up in the air.
There are very few crashes with a sailboat, battery life is great (hours and hours on 4 x AA) and adding buoyancy will make sure you get it ashore if disaster strikes...

Quote:
.... but it's not what my family are giving me.
I am sure you will enjoy it....

BTW the shipshaperc.com eBook is good value, recommended...
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
BTW the shipshaperc.com eBook is good value, recommended...
Yep! I shouldn't be such a tight-wad and make the (small) investment in (considerable) knowledge
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:46 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Yep! I shouldn't be such a tight-wad and make the (small) investment in (considerable) knowledge
You can find just about all the information you need for free here and online. Even better yet, head out to a local pond where they sail, I am sure someone will not only answer your questions but let you sail a boat or two !!!!
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:28 PM
God made wind for sailors
United States, FL, Summerfield
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Whiskers,

I have a Nirvana 32" from www.sailrc.com , excellent boat, sails great right out of the box. $265.00 with 2.4mhz radio and servos.

Bud
BudE. is offline Find More Posts by BudE.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
496 Posts
I had a Phantom and it was a nice looking boat that needed some work to make it a above average sailor. I would say that for someone that was not really sure about staying in rc sailing a Chinese boat would be a good start. They would be dissapointed in its sailing after watching boats that cost more. but like most modlers if you like sailing you will buy other boats and you can upgrade from there. Of course prices vary around the world and what is cheap in the US may be out of reach in other parts of the world. Each sailor has their favorte boats and will always recommed them to others.
I say start out with what your wife wants to buy and then go from there after you learn about sailing. Yes some will say that you wasted money buying a cheap boat, but how would you feel if you spent $$$$ on a bigger and better boat and decided that you didn't like sailing.
I say go with what you can afford anf the upgrade if you enjoy sailing. How many sailors have the hobby lost because they can't afford a boat more experenced sailors recommed.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
gpzy Yup! Some great guys here let me sail a boat and I'm sure they would be willing to help, but I don't want to steal too much of their sailing time if I can avoid it.

BudE, it probably says something about my shallow nature, but I like the idea of a bigger boat. I already have plenty of 2.4Ghz radios.

Hircsailor That pretty much nails it from philosophical viewpoint.
Some boats seem way overpriced for what I want at this stage. One of the classes they race here, the Laser, costs $1000 for what is a very basic boat. Enough to make me walk away shaking my head.
Right now I'm more into the beauty and (hopefully) joy of having something to sail. I was thinking of scratch building a gaff-rigged 2 masted schooner, but this sure is an easier option.
Last edited by Whiskers; Jul 10, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:05 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
Whiskers if you are a builder, look into the RG-65 class of sailboat. Plenty of free plans can be found online. All seem pretty simple to build.
http://velarc.net/classe_rg65_eng.htm
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Last edited by gpzy; Jul 10, 2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: added link
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Whiskers if you are a builder, look into the RG-65 class of sailboat. Plenty of free plans can be found online. All seem pretty simple to build.
http://velarc.net/classe_rg65_eng.htm
I guess while I'm just sailing for 'learning' and fun, the boat I am to be given will be fine. If I feel the need to race (as I did with the full-size ones) then I'll need to get what they sail at my local venue.
I won't be getting my boat until the middle of August and now I'm trying to find out the things I will need to do to it to make it reliable and sound.
So far most of the advice has been on other boats that would be better than this one. But that's cool. It is very interesting to see what other people think.
It would be pure gold if someone who actually has owned one of these boats could tell me some of the fixes they know it needs and how they did those things.