HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,756 Posts
That's true in flight, Jim, but it gets a little wonky when calculating static thrust. The higher pitch with smaller blades actually draws more power on the ground but I suspect that the two props are probably about even in the air when the prop unloads. Still; what I have confirmed is that with electric or glow one wants the biggest blade area a motor/engine can handle and the pitch isn't terribly critical except at low speeds when flatter (lower) pitch will out perform a higher one. I am frankly surprised, though I shouldn't be, at ho much better the 10" prop is.

The next time I need to order stuff I think I'll get a 11" prop of 4, 5, or 6" pitch. My motor should handle it for the 10-12 seconds I need to climb and, if it doesn't drop the RPM too much, I should be able to do a truly vertical launch. I don't really need more vertical performance but I'm curious and I can always use the bigger prop when I get a bigger sailplane.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:11 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, SH.

Just to throw a wrench in the works; I noticed that R2 has the "real" Passer-x on sale for $84.00. It actually might end up cheaper even with shipping from Hong Kong but I haven't crunched the numbers. I'm even considering getting one to see if the airframe is a little lighter and setting it up with a lighter electronics package.

Thanx for the headsup. OK, I'll play the lazy-boy since you've probably already got the numbers handy -- I'd like to hear them after you've done your crunching.
I didn't know of R2 before this....and can't figure out their color specifying system they make requisite to placing an order. Drop-down menu shows:
White with Carbon
Yellow with Carbon
Yellow with Carbon (Including Middle) -- & that's it, even tho the pictures show several other hues. Is this their way of saying that's the only colors available right now? And what's with the 'Carbon'.....their name for 'Black' or is it supposed to be some kind've Carbon Fiber in the mix? I kinda prefer the 'Rainbow' looking one, but no clue how to designate it.

What's the word??
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,756 Posts
I assume that they just list the colors that are in stock, SH. The one with the same scheme as the Specter, the yellow with black leading edge, and the read and black looks like it. I don't know whether "carbon" means black or it has a woven color pattern. I'm pretty sure it isn't really carbon fiber. The guys with genuine Passer-Xs from this thread could tell you for sure.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823518

R2 will ship them via Hong Kong Post Air Parcel for $23.16. I have no idea how fast or dependable they are but I didn't see any complaints on the other thread though I haven't red the whole thing. Just over $109.00 is a few bucks cheaper than Hobby King including delivery. Shipping via Hong Kong EMS is $37.00.

I think I'm going to stick to my plan for something a little bigger for my next glider but, if I had to do it over again, I think i would go with the R2 Hobbies version at that price.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
Carbon colored monotcoat... Not really a carbon fibre covering.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:50 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,557 Posts
About what I expected, & was afraid would be the case (ie, those colors only). I decided to write 'em & ask about other color availabiity; haven't heard back yet. Thanx guys.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,756 Posts
Remember, SH, one can always customize or replace covering without too much trouble. My two favorite base schemes are transparent blue with blaze orange and transparent red with neon yellow so, if I were to order another one, I would go with the red and black anyway and stripe it like my Specter.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,756 Posts
Neater electronics installation.

I shortened up my ESC leads so I could get it to lie flat. I have it held down with a small piece of velcro and the two stripes on top of the esc are some pieces of pushrod to keep the battery and ESC from being in contact. Since neither get hot even while ground testing it should provide enough cooling. The CG is at 69mm with the battery in the position shown but I can move it back if I just move the leads out of the way with a screw driver.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:46 AM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Peter, Congrats as I see you are leading in the Big Sky Thermal Duration contest for August in the Specter! Nice.

Do you use logging software or is it an honor system?
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:11 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
I had a nice day with mine - the tuning is coming along nicely. The lift was very strong today, with thunderstorms building by 10:00. I did lose orientation and ended up in a very fast dive. I quickly pulled out and did not appear to have caused harm to the plane. Much to my relief I have been flying this one quite sedately and that was the hardest load I had put on it yet.

My left aileron decided to go wonky on me about 1/2 way through the second pack - but not completely. I was able to bring it back in and land without issue. I am still blown away by the performance per $$ of this plane. I think I will try some 9x6 blades, trying to get the rpm up a little from the 10x6. Penetration into the 15 mph winds was not that good, but climb rate was near ballistic. i would like to trade some thrust for speed...

Fly'em well, amigos
JimNM
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,756 Posts
I'm afraid I got bumped out of first in the contest. It's on the honor system (Speaking of which I just got in a 9 hour flight.). Now that I have a couple bigger batteries and a proper meter I figure can fly well over an hour if the lift and my skills are up to the challenge.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,756 Posts
I agree, Jim. It's a heck of a glider for the price. Heck! It's pretty darned good at any price. I can't say I've had any problems with penetration but I arbitrarily move the CG forward a couple millimeters when there's much breeze at all and I don't think I've had it up in anything over 15mph if that. We've had really outstanding flying weather here in Southern Minnesota so I've been able to pick and choose without going more than 2 days without flying.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:23 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,557 Posts
Speaking of moving CG around, I'm a bit surprised at not having seen anyone execute an idea I've had playing around in my mind for some time now - remote LiPo positioning. Make some kind've lightweight tray you can creep forward & back as desired for in-flight conditions from your Tx. Anyone seen/heard of that being done already?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:32 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
Velcro is better... Lighter, simpler and wwaaay easier.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,756 Posts
I seem to recall reading about a guy who made a sliding battery/ballast tray for a sailplane with a retractable power pod. It could probably be done although I don't know where one would find the room in something like the Specter. I've actually found that the CG isn't very critical but I like it forward just a bit when there's a fair amount of wind.

I have mixed feelings on velcro. It is awesome for stuff you don't remove very often but I always end up eventually ripping it off of things like batteries. With a glass fuse I use a rubber band glued with CA to the bottom and then wedge a small chunk of foam in so the battery doesn't move by stretching the rubber band.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:14 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
I use a lqrge piece in the fuse and a small piece on the battery... Just enough stick to keep the battery in place. Works for me