HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:54 AM
Joined Oct 2012
36 Posts
How about these

I think these look like a winner. They are the right size for the servo tray, and it say " super strong!".

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3sec_7_1g.html
EDintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by EDintheclouds
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
Those should work well, Ed. You still might have to alter the servo tray though because they are only 2mm shorter than my HXT 900s. The pushrods on mine actually touched the bottom of the wing but not enough to stall the servos. After I realized they were touching I ground about 1/2mm off of the wire. If you look at the picture I posted you can see that the top portion of the Z-bends are flat.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:12 AM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
I found these very small, MG servos with about the same power as the 9G servos. I ordered a few to try but have not put them in a plane yet. Check the sizes, they are very small.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-hd-d...cro-servo.html
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:37 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,401 Posts
Ed if you don't have 'em, I'd play it safe & order some servo extensions along with (dirt cheap). One reviewer commented these were 'quite short'*. It's somethiing I always keep 3-4 6" pairs 'in stock' myself as, ya never know!
*EDIT: Oops - that refers to your blue BMS-306MAX - not the ones SoarWest referenced. (He posted before I pulled the trigger)

FWIW, recently I bought the 'good' crimping tool & component parts to make my own custom-length servo conns, thinking to clean-up some of the tangled masses of wiring in some of my planes. No problems with fit other than 'the cram' but, I just like things to look shipshape in there, y'know? (OK, call me anal.) Anyway, lemme tell (forewarn) any others so tempted & who've watched the 'easy, peasy, pie' U-Toob vidis on how simple it is to do. In a word, IT AIN'T!!!!! *LMBO* I can 'do' 'em, but the pins are hard to get locked into the plastic housing & pull out with ease. And they are pretty fragile; they break. Sometimes when you separate the M/F halves a pin pulls thru the wrong side. Yeah, I can 'do' 'em, but I ain't happy with the results just yet.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Nov 04, 2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
36 Posts
Otw

Cool, servos ordered as well as a 32mm spinner. But I still have to find the proper props. And none of them come with a 4mm shaft size which is what my motor calls for. BTW, will my 450 size helicopter outrunner motors work?

I'll use these servos for a scratch build powerplane after I get the Specter flying.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:18 PM
Brampton Ontario Canada
Joined Oct 2004
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDintheclouds View Post
Cool, servos ordered as well as a 32mm spinner. But I still have to find the proper props. And none of them come with a 4mm shaft size which is what my motor calls for. BTW, will my 450 size helicopter outrunner motors work?

I'll use these servos for a scratch build powerplane after I get the Specter flying.
Heli motor will have way to high of a KV it will burn up
What motor did you get with a 4mm shaft
Spiker is online now Find More Posts by Spiker
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
Hi, Ed. I'm with Spiker.

A heli motor would likely have too high a KV. The KDA 22-20L I'm using has a KV of 1000 and uses around 21Amps and 235watts with a 10X6 prop. This will provide a vertical climb to height in around 10 seconds and I can shave off a couple seconds with an 11X6 prop. My motor, at 85grams, is pretty much the upper limit without having to move everything, including the battery, back towards the tail.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
I had a really interesting flight yesterday afternoon. It was dark and overcast but I decided to fly the Specter so I could give an inexperienced friend some stick time. I discovered that there was slope lift coming out of a gully and deflected by a line of trees so, essentially, I did my first dynamic soaring. Once I found the sweet spot I was able to stay up indefinitely by just flying an egg-shaped pattern with the narrow end in the lift. Very, very, fun!
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
36 Posts
Motor

Cool peter, that's what I'm looking forward to.- I got the stock motor that was recommended with the kit. The Turnigy 480s inrunner. It has a 4mm shaft. I have seen some 32mm spinners with 4mm shaft on a UK hobby sites that I may order. In other bad news, the OrangeRx reciever that I ordered will not bind with my Walkera radio, but I can use the RX out of my heli. I'm going to end up with alot of miss matched parts laying around.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9377
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:20 PM
Brampton Ontario Canada
Joined Oct 2004
203 Posts
That motor at 109 grams will make it difficult to balance the model
Spiker is online now Find More Posts by Spiker
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
Mismatched parts aren't so bad. If nothing else they provide inspiration for future projects.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
Ideas for balancing.

Hi, Ed.

With that motor, which I'm surprised fits, you will have to mount everything else as far back as possible for balancing. Regardless of which servos you end up using I think you will have to scrap the servo tray and mount said servos, whether upright or on their sides, towards the back of the area under the wing. Same with the Rx and ESC. You still might have to add a few grams in the tail.

Here's the good news. The Specter can handle a little extra weight and it's not terribly sensitive to CG so it won't be an insurmountable problem.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:21 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,989 Posts
Hi guys, another new Specter pilot joining in. I ordered mine from HK USA last Monday, so hopefully won't have to wait too much longer.

I fly a bit of everything....sport, EDF, Siren Hotliner, and even my old GP Spirit glider (sinks like feather with a brick tied under it). I read this thread here and you guys really got my itch going for getting back into some gliding activities. I'm a bit burned out with the other stuff right now...except for the Siren.

I still need to choose the motor I am going to run and which servos to use. I have a pretty good stockpile of motors, esc's, and servos here, so hopefully something will work.

Just to be sure...I think I remember somebody saying this was a copy of a Passer X? Is it? Is it a copy, or just rebranded for HK? I just haven't seen much info on this plane and would like to figure everything out about it.

I am sure excited about joining in here. I started with gliders way back in the mid 70's with Gentle Ladies, Wanderer's, Square Soars, HOB 2x6/2x4's, etc. Been dormant for 15-20yrs or so except for the Siren. The Spirit just sucked so never really took it out.

I'll be standing by the door waiting for now...................
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,989 Posts
Sorry guys, one quick question. I have ready this whole thread...twice even....but still not completely sure.

What is the exact size of spinner that is needed? 32mm? some of the combo prop spinners you have linked to show 28mm, 33mm, etc.

Thanks a bunch,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
Welcome to the club, CSI.

I'm pretty sure that the Specter is a copy because the tail surfaces, wing hold down, and servo tray are a bit different than the Passer-X.

I always return to sailplanes myself. I can only fly powered airplanes for so long before I hit a wall and get bored. Chasing lift, on the other hand, always seems to be fully absorbing. I had dropped all flying for several years due to moving away from my old flying spot and some health issues but with modern electric power systems I can fly at a nearby park so I really don't foresee giving the hobby up again. Plus, with all the inexpensive stuff available, I should be able to maintain a fleet that will always keep things interesting.

An exact fit for the spinner is 32mm.