HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
I was raised by scientists and my education is, mostly, in chemical engineering so I find it nearly impossible to say anything without at least one "but"!

I realize it's difficult, if not impossible to compare a 1.8 meter glider to a 3 meter. Still (I didn't say but!), if I jump up in size it will either be a really light floater or a scale sailplane or both, eventually. Until and unless I destroy the Specter I just don't have a pressing need for another general purpose glider of any size.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:00 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,440 Posts
Valid point - falling in the 'to each his own' category I s'pose.

Besides having a 'nice' glider at under $500, I'm thinking visibility at high altitudes. I wanta put that sucker up there and still be able to see the thing, & take some video (with possible busine$$ application). Oh yes - and then too there's the fun. That's primary.

New tack:
Honest appraisal - what would you think (not 'guess') would most likely be the cause of your Spec's destruction?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
Most likely reason for the hypothetical demise of the Specter? Catastrophic operator error by a landslide. I have not found any obvious faults that could prove fatal.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
Well? I finally got out to fly with the lighter batteries but I can't say there is any significant difference. Of course, there was lots of strong lift and could have flown with big enough batteries to stay up all day. I'll have to get out in dead air to make a fair comparison. That's O.K. though since the lighter batteries are really more for my ASW28 and Extra which both seem to suffer more from too much weight.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,440 Posts
Which (brand) ASW do you have, again?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
I have the 2 meter "ST Models" from Tower which seems to be the same as the Hobby King. It flies pretty well for a 2 meter scale glider but I ended up doing a fair amount of modification. Everything that I have seen indicates that the FMS 2.3(?) meter is a better flier though the wing loading is about the same.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I have the 2 meter "ST Models" from Tower which seems to be the same as the Hobby King. ...
Ummmm......going by my memory (HA!) from when I researched it, I do believe they're distinctly different planes. FWIW

PS - I'm within about an inch of busting my schedule wide open; just might be ordering a Passer tomorrow! There's other considerations I can't divulge -- The Big Plus is, it's in my color-of-choice!
(Couldn't stand th' pressure - gotta git it while I can!) *LOL*
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Ummmm......going by my memory (HA!) from when I researched it, I do believe they're distinctly different planes. FWIW
Could be. It gets really hard to keep them all straight. One never knows what the Chinese steal from the Japanese, steal from each other, or just ship with a different label!

I am learning that one has to pull the trigger when a vendor gets what you want in stock. Assuming that the Passer and Specter are close enough to judge; I think you will like the Passer. I went out for an evening flight and shaving 2 ounces off the batteries didn't make a dramatic difference. I guess that streamlining and a good airfoil are the keys. Still, keep it light, don't skimp too much on power, and be prepared to use all your ingenuity to squeeze servos in it!

My own plans have been totally scrambled. Long story short; my new, and soon to be ex, pharmacy screwed up and I got stuck with a big bill. I will take part of the blame because I didn't actually count my pills at the counter. Lesson learned.

Anyway, my purchases that I had planned out through March, depending on availability, got pushed back a month or two. Oh well. At least winter will be in full force when I get my uncovered glider so I can hopefully use it to alleviate the cabin fever. Plus, I get to change my mind a few-hundred more times!

On the plus side; my new motor should arrive tomorrow or Saturday and I can get my little Extra 330 back in the air for a change of pace. I'm also eager to try an 11X6" prop on the Specter. It doesn't need more thrust but I have a feeling that it will shave a second or two off my climbs. I can always stick it on the ASW28, with the new motor and perhaps a 2 cell battery, in the hopes of getting a bit faster climbs with it. The motor I have on it is just a bit wimpy. I like the way it soars now but, after zooming up to a speck with the Specter, climbing on the wing gets a bit frustrating.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:30 PM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Peter

For the life of me, I simply cannot squeeze HXT900s into the fuselage. I am going to use HXT500s.

Regards
YEAP CHIN POH is offline Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
YEAP

I was able to fit the HXT900 by moving the servo forward and grinding the corners off. I'll try and get some better pictures for you when I have good light tomorrow.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:50 PM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Peter

Its OK. I grinded off servo mount to move servo forward. No joy. The servo is simply too high and will protrude into wing. I cannot bring myself to grind off the sides of the servos. In my plane, the center joining tape is prominent. I think 500s are adequate. The elevator is small and I do not intend to stunt this plane. I already have a Extreme Flight Extra 300 for that sort of flying.

What time is it there for you? Here it is 12.49 in the afternoon.

Regards
YEAP CHIN POH is offline Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:37 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,440 Posts
Pete, I did a quick search & didn't see any reference in the thread;
I've been recommended the Turborex 800kv 2830 BLO motor to use with the Passer. Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) have any knowledge of this motor, & advice on it or better alternatives? It's just a shade over $20 so, price seems good....but I know nothing about its performance or suitability.
[Edit: I should say, 'best' suitability]
Thanx!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 14, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
Gliders 3D Gaui X5 and 450Pro
USA, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Apr 2010
323 Posts
StarH,
The engine you are looking at seems very similar to the one I have in the Specter. Here's my notes and a report on my testing.
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3-2830-1130Kv (187w) 58g, 2-3s, 20A max, in Specter 1800
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18116
Test 3S w/Turnigy AE 25A ESC; 10x6 folding prop; 17.7A peak; 201w peak
Test 3S w/Turnigy AE 25A ESC; 10x8 folding prop; 22.0A peak; 243w peak
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
I would think the Turborex would work well though you might want to go to an 11" prop if it will be happy with it. I've used 9X5", 9.5X8", and 10X6" and I have an 11X6" on the way. With my 1000kv motor I think my favorite is the 9.5X8" but there isn't a dramatic difference between them. The 10X6" will pull it vertical out of my hand but the 9.5X8" gives a better climb if I hold it level for a heartbeat or two before I pull the nose up. Anything over 150watts with a 9" to 11" prop should give a good, fast, climb.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,440 Posts
Thanx mightily for that info fellas. Copied & saved for reference.
Hadn't thought of this but, does a prop come with the Passer - & if yes, which....anyone know?
The ad suggests one does.....but if I've learned anything it's to not trust those, for sure!
RCG Plus Member