HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:24 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
Maverick I agree. This is more of a floater thermal glider than a racer.

I brought my Specter to a slope soaring weekend get away and had fun with it today. It was nice to kick in power with light wind. I didn't like trying to land it and got caught in rotor and hit a tree. The plane held up very well. Only a dented leading edge and some holes in the cover.

I would suggest a small motor rather than a big one for this glider. With 3s and the small motor I have its nearly vertical and for a floater that's plenty.
Quote SW for all! For Specter or Passer X suggest a motor between 150/200 watt max.
Sorry for damage at your Specter, hope easy recoverable
Bye to all, this mornig i will back to work, holidays ended.....
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:04 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,072 Posts
Nice report on this plane Peter, just the kind of information I was looking for.
I want to add another 2M glider to my hanger and was looking for something that would compliment my Radian for use in the monthly contest - this one just may be it....the price is right
Trent
blunight is online now Find More Posts by blunight
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
What's the old saying? Speed is a relative thing.

I only fly the Specter straight up, or nearly so, with full power. With the power off I'm not nervous about diving at "high speed" but power dives are not an option with the stock wing structure. That's with a 9.5 or 10 inch prop at over 9,000 rpm and 200-250 watts and 21-23 amps. It is definitely overkill for this glider but here's my idea for ALES. Stick with the powerful motor and use a much smaller battery than I'm using for sport duration flying. I just ordered a couple 950mah batteries that are nearly 2 ounces lighter than those I'm using and I can balance by moving the Rx forward of the servos. One can search for lift for 20 seconds at low power and then power up to max altitude in 10 seconds "at the buzzer" and still have more than enough juice. But I digress...

The gliding speed range is, I would say, excellent and compares well with any glider I've flown (Please keep in mind that I was out of the hobby for several years and returned to it in March so my experience with modern airfoils and design trends is limited.). The maximum L/D in still air or into the wind is reached at a fairly high gliding speed and a nose down posture not unlike my old Hobie Hawk from decades ago. It slows down much, much, better. I trim so that releasing the stick drops the nose and I hold back stick when I'm turning inside a thermal. I use the ailerons to establish the angle of bank, use the elevator to control speed via angle of attack, and turn with rudder. With a little practice and, with my plane (results may vary!) one can make surprisingly slow flat turns. I think thermal performance really suffers if one "banks and banks". I do not, however, advocate mixing rudder with aileron. With only two control surfaces on the wing I only use mixing with spoilers and elevator and could get by without that. I played around with flaperons on a knob but I really prefer using the wide performance range of the airfoil rather than changing camber.

The airframe is fully capable of being flown like a glider and "normal" glider aerobatics. That means that one flies through maneuvers and maintains fairly low g-forces. I do, however, think that one could gain a lot of strength for little weight or investment. When I get bored this winter I might glass, at least, the bottom of the wing and add another spar but my aforementioned application of Skyloft on the center section is more than enough for normal use.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
Lots of perfect flying today. First with the Specter in strong lift and later with the ASW28 with just a few little puffs of lift. I had forgotten how nice and pretty the ASW28 flies. It won't quite soar like the Specter and it has a harsh tip stall but it looks fantastic just making low passes with lazy wingovers. It's been a long weekend. G'night!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:09 AM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
OK I finally received it just now. The Specter arrived very well packed, double boxed. The outer box was lined with air bags. Both the internal box and glider was undamaged. Inside, I was very impressed with how the fuselage and wings were suspended and locked in by foam. The fuse was a surprise to me. I did not expect to find so slim a fuselage. It was also very light. The wings was the disappointment. Though strong it was also on the heavy side. It featured 3/16 and 1/8" balsa ribs! One side of the wing was also sheeted with rock hard "C" grain balsa making it heavier than the other side! Interestingly the airfoil was undercambered. So here we have a heavier than should be airplane (heavy in that it would have to fly faster) matched with a skinny undercambered (slow flying) airfoil. I can't wait to see how it all pans out! The wing is well engineered though and should outlast the fuse. Impressive also is the workmanship on the covering job. Too bad about the very light yellow colour. I rather have transparent red or blue as that would hide the laser burn marks better.
YEAP CHIN POH is offline Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH
Last edited by YEAP CHIN POH; Sep 05, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
Welcome to the club, YEAP. My wings are close enough in weight to not matter but, as I said, I think that the Specter is a little heavier than the genuine Passer-X and a little lesser build quality. The airfoil has a good gliding speed range. Thin for dropping the nose and covering ground and under cambered for max lift if you pull the nose up a bit. Airfoils have really come a long way since I started flying and designers would just draw a curve with a flat bottom and call it a "Clark Y".

I just got my 950mah batteries and, assuming that I can work out the balance without adding lead, I can't wait to try them in the air since they only weigh 64.5grams. 52 grams off the battery should make a noticeable difference. Once again; I'm very pleasantly surprised that they are actually a few grams less than advertised. Since they are a higher "C" rating I even get a few more RPM. I haven't cycled them or even had them in the air so I don't know what my max flight times will be and can't make an unqualified recommendation but they seem to be an awful lot of battery for the price and weight.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Last edited by peterlngh; Sep 08, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:06 AM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Hi Peter,

Maybe I am too hard on CMP. The sheeting is only 1/20" and should not make a big difference. And, the only way to fabricate a wing with a drooping skinny and yet undercambered airfoil is to make it rigid and strong. The workmanship on the wing covering is awesome. I have started work by clearing up whatever small manufacturing errors there were like sanding down the c/f rod so that both sides of the wings match up. It really looks like a very efficient and awesome sailplane. I am sure it will do well in the air.

Regards
YEAP CHIN POH is offline Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:07 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,723 Posts
Y'know, I read & read about this Specter & the Passer-X, & see the several shortcomings both are 'blessed' with & can't help but have a sense of apprehension about getting one. But then I watch a few videos of rc'rs flying them, & I want one so badly I can taste it!

My mind's made up right now - but can't say it won't change (again) - that there's one other plane I'm definitely gonna get (ASW-28) first, and another I'll get later -- maybe should say, strongly lusting after, but it's not been released just yet & I'm not about to invest the money until I've seen some highly placed praise; being the new 3-meter 'Mystique' I posted about above. I'll be due my annual retirement allotment check soon & plans include the Mystique (if deemed worthy by then) and, perhaps along with it a Passer. If the new 'un doesn't make the grade, it'll go towards the Passer....but one way or t'other I've def got one of those in my sights!

Now just watch -- about 6-7 new great-lookin' models will come out between now & then!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:28 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,404 Posts
depending on what you want.i did some reworking on mine and now it flies very well within it's flight envelope.it glides very well and gets some nice speed,not too fast but maybe about 70-80.glides forever .i rerouted the tail servo wires and stripped and recovered the wing.also reinforced the center section with glass and wood then covered it all.much stronger now.if you want speed get the speedy or the dynamic s foamy.my little speedy had the wing reinforced and it goes by level at about 100-120 or so.haven't snapped a wing yet on it
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
Hi, guys.

I've been suffering a bit of a cold and it's been a little gusty during mid days so i still haven't tried out my lighter batteries. Maybe this evening I'll get out for some "dead air" time. Oh well. At least it has given me the time to do some mods on the ST ASW28.

I like the looks of the Mystique as well, SH. But? It seems like it will have a very similar flight envelope to the Specter and might be a bit redundant for me. I think I'll go with either something that's a more pure floater or something much faster and heavier. Hopefully there will be some reviews before I make a purchase for next season's new sailplane. Again. if I were buying another one today, I would go with the genuine Passer-X.

Glad to hear your getting the Specter dialed in, oly. You might not ever get as much speed as you might want or like but it really is a capable little glider.

Cheers!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:26 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
It looks like each of us desire to have a few gliders in our fleets.

I use the Specter as a slower flying floater for when conditions are light. I've also found it flies nicely at the slope for lighter conditions too. When I need to, I have the option of a self made thermal to get me back up on top of things to keep flying. Works nicely.

For speed runs and that hot and fast flying, I've ordered a Typhoon from APACHobby http://www.apachobby.com/airplanes/e...phoon-pnf.html
They were on sale and I decided to go go for it. I'm hoping it's as good as I've read in many different places and seen on many different videos.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
Good to hear that you are getting enjoyment from the Specter, SW. I've had mine up in some pretty strong gusts and it handles it well. The last time I didn't even move the battery forward. I think my new batteries are supplying a little more power since it keeps throwing the prop before I can grab the tachometer! I guess I'm stuck waiting for the Loctite to dry before I can try them in the air.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
Woo-hoo!

I didn't get out to fly but I got my prop/spinner stuck on again and got some readings. The new batteries give an extra 275 RPM with the 9.5X8 prop! It also pumps the draw up to a smidge over 23 amps but 30 seconds of run time and playing with the controls for 20 minutes only ran me down to 11.5 volts so I should have plenty of duration for most days. With the heavier prop I didn't even have to move my Rx. I can still fly the heavier batteries when there's a bit more wind or for longer powered duration when I feel like stunting but I think I'll like having 2 ounces less battery and I'll like it even more when my lighter ESC arrives. The lighter batteries are mostly meant for the ASW28 anyway but I might have to get a couple more of the 950s.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
Still no joy for flying weather. So? I checked and rechecked the new batteries and they make a substantial difference. I didn't think that 5 "C" would be that noticeable.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:34 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I like the looks of the Mystique as well, SH. But? ...
Boy! you always got a "but", don't you!
I want the Passer-X as a glider, not so much as a hot- but more of a lukewarm-liner - but I do want it to be able to perform, including pulling out of long hard dives w/o the wing folding. From readings, it appears the Passer is better in that regard than the Spec. We'll see.

AFA the Mystique and floating & "redundant flight envelopes":
3-meters, d00d, and that's all I will say.

StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member