SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:11 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,368 Posts
got to looking,then drilled out the pushrod tubes,drilled a new hole on top,ran the tubes thru and had no binding.filled the fuse where i drilled it with epoxy and now waiting for it to dry.the rods will come out on top of the tail feathers,which i actually like better.now as for the motor,i keep getting the wires bound up so going to do some more drilling somewhere.this is the motor i'm using
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
should be okay. have a stryker with a mega motor on it.200a esc,8x6 prop.draws about 120a and about 1900-2000 watts.thats my speed plane
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,680 Posts
I almost got the same motor but decided that I would rather stick with something that can handle more prop for "slow vertical" performance. I'll decide what to do about the pushrods once I tear into them. I was lucky with my motor wires. They point straight down where there's just a little more room and was able to just glue in a thin piece of ply to keep them there. Here's the pic in case you missed it earlier.

Now? It's time to start the weekend in earnest. Have a good one, one and all!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:18 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,458 Posts
One downside with those 'rocket' motors - the way I see it they rob you of some piloting time. You don't get to enjoy all the time spent climbing up to where you can glide again.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,680 Posts
I can see your point, SH, but they do increase soaring time. 10 seconds straight up doesn't use a whole lot of one's battery capacity. Of course, I ended up going with a motor at the top of the power range because I had not quite decided which glider to get when I ordered it and wanted to be able to power a slightly bigger and heavier plane had I gone that way. I'm doing the same with the new motor and, now that I have a spare airframe to use as a test mule, I can figure out its real capability for myself. If it performs as advertised I could use it in anything from a 1.5meter hotliner to a 2.5meter floater and, when I decide on which one, I can pick my favorite of the moment from a pretty big selection.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:33 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,368 Posts
finally got my plane ready.lot's of tinkering and head scratching with it.hooked up a watt meter and checked power.4s 1800 batt,6x6 prop 2836-1800 motor.well i drew a lot more watts and amps than i thought,might need another motor.at about 900 watts and 70amps,the motor mount plate pulled out.i heard it crack and shut power.need to epoxy it now and reinforce it.think i'll stick to 3s till i get a better motor
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Nov 2009
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
It's a really nice flyer, Yeap. But, like I said, if I were buying one today I would get the genuine Passer-X from R2 Hobbies.

http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-aircraft...sailplane.html
Peter,

Took a quick look at r2hobbies; it said the Passer-X is a 3ch one although the pics show it's a 4ch one. Any idea?

Thanks,
JH
J.H. is offline Find More Posts by J.H.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:38 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,264 Posts
They don't count the throttle as a channel...
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:29 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Maiden Fly of Italian Specter: OK!

Yesterday i made the maiden fly
In a day with a bit of wind, and helped form my friend for check at V-tail setup, the Specter go in the sky.
For right CG i must use a 2000 mha 3s battery, the motor that i have use is very light but right for this model, with a 9x6 the Specter go in vertical!
Model very quite, like you already know.
I tryed some looping (perfect) but i think this model unsuitable for high speed and extreme acrobacy, this is a real terminal glider
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:38 AM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Maverick I agree. This is more of a floater thermal glider than a racer.

I brought my Specter to a slope soaring weekend get away and had fun with it today. It was nice to kick in power with light wind. I didn't like trying to land it and got caught in rotor and hit a tree. The plane held up very well. Only a dented leading edge and some holes in the cover.

I would suggest a small motor rather than a big one for this glider. With 3s and the small motor I have its nearly vertical and for a floater that's plenty.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Nov 2009
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
They don't count the throttle as a channel...
Got it.

Many thanks,
JH
J.H. is offline Find More Posts by J.H.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:37 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,368 Posts
flew my specter today after fixing the motor mount.this is not a good plane for any kind of fast flying,and i don't think without a lot of mods and fixing it's good for much else.only thing i have to say good is it floats very well.the ele,rud are still binding up,causing to plane to react very slowly to any tail input,will have to look at pushrods again.also i noticed the covering on the wing/aileron section of both wings pulled loose,causing my ailerons to pretty much become useless.that was the end of flying it today.will strip covering and put real hinges on the ailerons.all this was on a 3s batt and i never opened it up,was just way too sluggish to try it yet.this is the only time i have looked forward to trashing a plane so i wont fly it anymore
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,680 Posts
I was afraid you might be disappointed with the high speed capability, oly. I have seen that others have added a second joiner in the holes for the servo leads. My hinges were a tiny bit loose when I got mine but they have held very well once I thoroughly ironed them.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:54 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,458 Posts
Is the PasserX any better in these regards?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:51 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,264 Posts
The passer x is not a high speed plane,period. The Wing structure is far to light for high speed or high g flying. The under camber wing is a dead give away to its design parameters. The only issue I had with push rods was the residue left from the masking tape. A little cleaner took that right off.

150 Watts into a 10 inch prop I'd all you need. 900 Watts is over kill.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:18 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
The passer x is not a high speed plane,period. The Wing structure is far to light for high speed or high g flying. The under camber wing is a dead give away to its design parameters. The only issue I had with push rods was the residue left from the masking tape. A little cleaner took that right off.

150 Watts into a 10 inch prop I'd all you need. 900 Watts is over kill.
Quote!
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you