HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I finally remembered to snap a picture of my finished tail fairing. It added about 2 grams and made it easier to balance plus I'll give some of that back when I get around to installing the thinner pushrods. Just a roughly cut wedge of foam and Gorilla Glue.
..Easier the balance?
About the balace, whats kind of lipo have you use? i Think use a 3S 1300 or 1600 about 125/135grams.
Attach other photoes, model finished this evening, but folding prop fomr england still not arrive, i think next week
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
I used a 3S 1600mAh lipo (136g) to get things about where I want them. I might try a 3S 2200mAh at 175g to see how that changes things since the extra flight time would be nice. As I have things trimmed out it does not really balloon up so I'm thinking a more forward CG would add a little of that.

My motor is lighter than Peter's so I can put a bit more battery in and keep the CG about right. I'm flying with my CG at 68mm from the leading edge right now.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Last edited by SoarWest; Aug 30, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
I'm using 1300mah that weigh 112g and 1600mah that weigh 116g. With my 85g motor that means that, before I added the little fairing in the tail, I have to move the battery cables with a screwdriver to get the long, 1600, pack back far enough to achieve 72mm back from the leading edge for my CG. I move either battery forward about 10mm if it's really windy which moves my CG forward to 69mm.

For my needs the Zippy Flightmax 1600mah seems about perfect. I can get 6-8 climbs and fly for an hour before I even start to worry about the battery. It looks like the European warehouse has them in stock as well as the U.S. but they currently out at the HK warehouse.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17056

BTW. This is one of the rare cases where they actually underestimate the weight a bit. I switched to 4mm banana connectors and they definitely weigh 116g instead of the listed 122g.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,360 Posts
mine came earlier today.looking it over and starting the build,it's a real pain compared to the speedy.trying to get the wing servos so all 4 screws fit in the covers was bad,then trying to find a way to mount the tail servos without hitting the wing.got the tail on easy at least..made a tray so i can lay my servos down and place them end to end,will post pics later.glued wing together.thats all so far.i also ordered another speedy with a 3536-1400kv motor.will keep it in box till mine dies or i want a faster one.flew my speedy today,figgure level it's doing about 110 or so.
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
Yeah. There are a couple places where one is left scratching one's head over the Chinese engineering but nothing insurmountable. I wasn't really intending for this to become a build log, though I'm happy the thread has evolved, so I didn't really document the little issues that came up. I was just barely able to use upright servos by moving them forward of the installed tray and grinding the corners off with the rotary tool. It was tough to build up the courage to start said grinding but, at $3.00 a pop, I figured I would give it a try before resorting to laying them down.

How are your pushrods, oly? Mine were stiff but I was able to make them work and SoarWest went to smaller wire and I'll be doing the same. Mostly I just want them nice and free because I'm planning on using the Specter as a test mule for the electronics for my next project. I especially want to try out some sub 9gram metal gear servos that just won't have the torque to cope with stiff pushrods though they should handle the air loads even on a bigger V-tail. Let us know what, if anything, you do with yours.

Speaking of that next project: I'm still deciding which glider to get but I found my motor. 28mm, 1250kv, 40amps, 70grams, and a claimed (though somewhat doubtful) 590watts on 4 cells! I figure that I can use it on a 2.5 meter if it will swing a 11X6 or 12X5 happily on 3 cells. If I decide to go with a smaller, faster glider I can drop the prop size and go 4 cells. In the mean time I'll bolt it into my Extra 330 foamy and test it in the air.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:36 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,360 Posts
on the pushrods now.don't really want to go smaller wire cause i get flutter at high speed.may take out the plastic guides and put in new guides that will fit the wires.looks like bending them where they exit the fuse to mate to the tail feathers is critical also
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:44 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
I used a 3S 1600mAh lipo (136g) to get things about where I want them. I might try a 3S 2200mAh at 175g to see how that changes things since the extra flight time would be nice. As I have things trimmed out it does not really balloon up so I'm thinking a more forward CG would add a little of that.

My motor is lighter than Peter's so I can put a bit more battery in and keep the CG about right. I'm flying with my CG at 68mm from the leading edge right now.
Thanks SW, my motor is light too, yesterday i try to balance with a 1300 130gr but model result very cabred, after i try a with a 1800 3s maybe ok, consider that i still not mount the folding spinner and prop.
Today forwarding the rx that for a test i had placed rear the two fuse servos.
Me too consider the CG at 68mm from LE.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:43 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,401 Posts
G'morning guys,
I'm x-posting this for those not on the W28 board, considering the subject hope you don't mind.
~~~
To All;
I'm on Horizon's mailing list - got an announcement this morning on a new product they're pre-selling now - the 'Mystique' from E-Flite. 2.9-meter fiberglas'd beauty - several nice features. Kinda OT but considering the audience, thought y'all would like to see this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LyMi24M-HIs

So many planes, so little time!
(& cash)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:55 AM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Hi

Its finally left Hong Kong. Hope to have the V tail beauty in my grubby hands by this week.

Regards
YEAP CHIN POH is online now Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:15 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAP CHIN POH View Post
Hi

Its finally left Hong Kong. Hope to have the V tail beauty in my grubby hands by this week.

Regards
Good Luck
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
Thanks, SH. This has become something of an open thread for those with any interest in the Specter, or not, so I'm not concerned with staying "on topic" since there really isn't one.

I've been following the Mystique with great interest. It's a real beauty. It's just a tiny bit heavier and more expensive than I want for my next, bigger, glider but I could be talked into it if others confirm that it performs as billed. Sigh... My wish list is starting to look like a major city's phone book.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
Great news, VEAP!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:57 AM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,360 Posts
tired of the tail servo situation,going to take the tubes out and run new guide tubes and wires.for a warmliner having servo hang up will be a certain death lol.working on motor and wings today.for an arf i have had less trouble with kitshopefully the trouble is worth it after flying it.the narrow fuse dosen't leave much room but should cut thru the air well.hopefully will fly it next week
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:13 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Oly, I simply used .032" wire to resolve the binding problem at the back of the fuse. Now my servos have no problem and the wire is short enough coming out of the tubes at the back that it's plenty stiff enough for controlling those small surfaces. Up front before the wire connects into the servo. I went ahead and cut the pre-installed tubes so they stop about a 2" from where the servo horn is to make sure I have room for the Clevis and adjustment piece, and then I glued the tube to the side of the fuse to keep it from flexing. It's working well with no issues so far.

Of course I haven't tried very high speed flying yet, I view this as a floater and haven't really pushed it. I have another all glass plane that is twice as heavy when I want to get whistle passes and really go for the speed... yes there is a certain thrill in that!
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Last edited by SoarWest; Aug 31, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
I'm going to dig into my pushrods soon too, oly. Even for a pseudowarmliner I think that a slightly smaller sized KS music wire would be stiff enough. The supplied wire carries the air loads with no problem but it won't hold a bend worth a darn. At least I have a good visual indicator of when they need bending because the right hand ruddervator doesn't quite center after a few flights. It works fairly well at the start but the soft wire just relaxes after a while. So? I better get it right before I, at best, wreck a servo.

Here's the new motor I ordered. Frankly, I doubt their claimed performance and figure they probably just put the numbers for a 38mm motor in the wrong place. But? It sounds like it has at least 1/2 the stated power according to the reviews. I guess I'll know soon enough. If I just end up with a motor for the little Extra I'll be happy but if this thing will really handle an 11" prop on 3 cells it should be a great glider motor too. Perhaps a 13" prop with 2 cells? 8" on 4? I'll work it up slowly and see how much it can take without melting down. If it's anywhere near the stated performance i would think it should work for a 2.5 meter 1400gram sailplane and, at a motor weight of 70grams, I could carry the biggest battery I can fit in the nose.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17600

I also decided to try a few flights with the 9X5 prop on the Specter. It takes a little longer to climb to height but the prop/spinner is 13grams lighter than the 10X6. The main thing is that it only draws 17 amps, compared to 21, so I can try a smaller ESC and save a bit more weight. Then I figure I can see if it will balance with a 950mah, 69gram, battery. It flies well as it is but 3 oz. should make a notable difference for light lift.