HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
I'm afraid there's no simple answer, HoosierGuy. I've flown a lot of balsa gliders but only two foamies. Balsa wings are generally stiffer and, without carbon reinforcing, are probably about the same as most foam wings in regards to terminal velocity air loads. I think one also gets more positive control with built up wings because they don't flex as much when the ailerons are deflected. Foam is more resilient if one hits an obstacle or cartwheels the plane. Balsa wings can be repaired, up to a point, but it does require some skills that are best learned by building a kit or three. I wouldn't say that minor repairs are hard, it's just an acquired skill. Of course, back when I was building kits, there weren't internet forums to provide advice and tips.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:48 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,105 Posts
also,a bottle of super glue,some kicker and a hot glue gun will fix a foamy right up
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
I just don't want to mislead you about the wing strength, oly. You probably have a better feel for it than i do since I've only been flying electric gliders since March. With the lower kv and bigger prop mine goes straight up fast enough to reach thermal altitude in 10-12 seconds and that's fast enough for me. It's the straight down that makes me nervous!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:13 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,105 Posts
theres nothing like going into a steep dive,leveling out and going by at 100+ full throttle
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
Well? My reflexes aren't what they were 20 years ago. I had a Quikee 500 with a glassed wing, no landing gear, and a piped .61 on the nose. That baby would probably hit 100 straight up and the other guys, with no good reason since I've never even come close to hitting a person, would generally hide behind their cars when I would crank her up! One guy was a real know-it-all, and pain in the rump, and brought a friend along the first time he saw it. The last thing I heard him say before I started it was "I think I've always had the fastest plane here". Then he found a reason not to fly his "fast" plane.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:36 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,105 Posts
i just crashed my quickee a few weeks ago.theres 3 of us at the field with high speed planes(120-130 range)everytime we go up the others always land and watch..i guess i'm not good at 3d flying so going fast is for me
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
Gliders 3D Gaui X5 and 450Pro
USA, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Apr 2010
323 Posts
Ok, time to admit to crashing a plane... I'll share this because it's a plane that is similar to the Specter. This was a Saturn 2.2e glider, my very first e-glider and I was so excited to fly it. At some point I was totally specked out and having trouble bringing it down. I was trying all sorts of things but eventually the wings folded on me. Sadly the plane ended up impaled on a house. As you can see the pieces actually went completely through!

I have learned to find ways to bring planes down without stressing the wings now... cross the controls with full up and spin, a series of stalls etc, but not just fly it down with speed! At the time I was new to TD (Thermal Duration) and primarily flying fast slope ships.

SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
At least it wasn't a person. It's all just expensive fun until someone gets hurt!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:24 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAP CHIN POH View Post
Sigh. How come Maverick4you's Specter is shipped whereas I am still waiting for mine to be packed??? Sigh??
I think your Specter will be ship from Global Warehouse.... and this is a problem! If the model stocked in other warehouse in china, HK take 3-5 day for transfer the model to the warehouse that will make the shipment.... you can only wait
I have experienced the same problem when i bought the P51 in Hong Kong, between the order and the delivery past other 30 days, 5 days only for transfer the model from a warehouse to other warehouse.
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:29 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
Ok, time to admit to crashing a plane... I'll share this because it's a plane that is similar to the Specter. This was a Saturn 2.2e glider, my very first e-glider and I was so excited to fly it. At some point I was totally specked out and having trouble bringing it down. I was trying all sorts of things but eventually the wings folded on me. Sadly the plane ended up impaled on a house. As you can see the pieces actually went completely through!

I have learned to find ways to bring planes down without stressing the wings now... cross the controls with full up and spin, a series of stalls etc, but not just fly it down with speed! At the time I was new to TD (Thermal Duration) and primarily flying fast slope ships.

..... Really happened? incredible, We in Italy impaled only cars
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:43 AM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,105 Posts
thats a seriuos dart there
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:30 AM
Gliders 3D Gaui X5 and 450Pro
USA, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Apr 2010
323 Posts
This is what was left of the plane after I gathered all of the pieces. As you can see it is very possible to fold up a one piece wing given enough Gs ;-)
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:57 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
This is what was left of the plane after I gathered all of the pieces. As you can see it is very possible to fold up a one piece wing given enough Gs ;-)
.... in Italy we say " Azz!"
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:09 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
84 Posts
My Specter delivered in this moment! Very incredible!! Ordered monday in the afternoon delivery after 3 day (Germany - Italy)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
I finally remembered to snap a picture of my finished tail fairing. It added about 2 grams and made it easier to balance plus I'll give some of that back when I get around to installing the thinner pushrods. Just a roughly cut wedge of foam and Gorilla Glue.