HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,584 Posts
Did you add a rudder? How would one spin without one? Perhaps you meant rolls?
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Peter and others, I am considering my next glider as something in the 2.5-3.0m size (primarily so I can fly higher and still see it!). Of course e-powered since I don't like the hassle of getting a winch out anymore.

Which are you pondering and why?
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,584 Posts
The Topmodel Avia is currently in the top spot on my wish list. It's a 2.5 meter floater, based on its wing loading, but uses a similar airfoil to the Specter so it has a good speed range. In fact, the MH32 airfoil has just about the highest L/D that I've seen though I've yet to fly one. Esprit Models carries them and Aloft Hobbies has one in stock at $20.00 less but theirs is the version that one has to saw the nose off. It comes with a jig but I'm not sure if it includes a motor mount but that's not hard to whip up. I'm about 80% certain that I'll get one, uncovered, for a winter project/Christmas present.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,307 Posts
yep,meant rolls.has a nice easy slow roll
oly_rcer is online now Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:31 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick4you View Post
Thanks for the hospitality (excuse me for my catastrophic english)
This afternoon i have ordered two folding spinner and blade, one complete set sold with 9x5 blade other one i have bought the spinner and a couple of 10x6 blade
Bought by Giantcond England belive delivery in Italy early that HK HongKong.
If i will be lucky for ending of this week maybe have the Specter, transplant the folding prop from the Fox and try to fit on the Specter.....
Quote myself
Specter shipped today, hope in my hands ending of this week.
About the V-tail, have you configured del V-tail mixing channel 2 and 4 ore use only the 2?.... on my other plane i use very poor the rudder (channel 4 on my radio) only for info in Italy we fly in mode 1, gas on right stick.
Bye from a hot Rome (too hot for Me! )
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,584 Posts
Yes. I am using V-tail mixing and I use the rudder a lot. It has nearly neutral stability, although it will level out slowly if it's close to level, so I use the ailerons to establish bank and control the turn with elevator and rudder. I fly Mode 2 so I'm not sure where to plug stuff in but I should be able to help you through the initial setup once you have it in front of you.

BTW. My Italian isn't good at all so just ask if I'm not being clear.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:02 AM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Sigh. How come Maverick4you's Specter is shipped whereas I am still waiting for mine to be packed??? Sigh??
YEAP CHIN POH is offline Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Depending on which radio you guys are using to setup your Specter, I have a document that shows in detail how to set it up on a Hitec Aurora A9.

The document is found here:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33146476/RC...9%20setup.docx

The method used for throttle control in this setup is to place the throttle on the J3 stick (mode 2) where it’s normally found for power pilots. Then in landing configuration the throttle is diabled and the power stick becomes the Crow control. The transition happens at the bottom where throttle is powered off and there is no Crow active. This is accomplished via a switch tied to a flight mode\Condition.
Last edited by SoarWest; Aug 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:54 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAP CHIN POH View Post
Sigh. How come Maverick4you's Specter is shipped whereas I am still waiting for mine to be packed??? Sigh??
lol,mine is packed and ready but not shipped yet also.at least i have my speedy to still play with and if i really need speed then i get out my shrike or fast stryker lol
already have the power system.a 2836-1800,6.5x4 folder and 34mm spinner,60a esc.i have a much hotter power system but want to see how strong the wing joint is before i go stupid with the power.trying to get at least 125 on a level run,if not faster
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,584 Posts
I got out to pay in the wind today. Gust are 20-25mph and the Specter handled pretty well except when i would catch the wind and lift/turbulence at the same time. I had plenty of penetration but ended up inverted a couple times! I also got a quick pic of the tail fairing painted up.

Oly, I'm not sure about how much speed and how many Gs she'll handle. The wing joiner isn't terribly long or thick and there's no other carbon in the wing. I suppose that one could strip the covering and add some strips and I would strongly recommend glassing the center section. The fairing creates a stress point and I cracked some sheeting by botching the hold down pins. I trust it power off as is but wouldn't try a tight loop out of a power dive. I'm happy to let others explore the true speed potential!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Peter, I agree with your summary, this is a mid speed plane at best. There isn't a solid joining system and the spar that is there is very small, about the size of a pencil. One other thing that seems weak to me is how the pins attach into the wing and are pushed into the fuse. I can't see into the wing without tearing it open but it didn't feel real solid as I filled it with Epoxy to seal it up. The wing works for thermal flying and perhaps an occasional loop, but I wouldn't trust it either for any kind of speed runs or power dives with hard G pulls at the end. The fuse seems very strong. It's primarily the wing center joint that has me concerned.

I am thinking of giving it a shot at slope soaring to really test the CG and flight abilities this weekend, if we can get away to the mountains where the slopes are.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:25 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,307 Posts
plan on beefing up wing.anyhow,peter,where do you fly at?i use to live in mound,son was born at coon rapids.yeah my parts and plane just shipped,should see them tomorrow
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,584 Posts
Agreed on all points, SW. I poured glue into the front of the center section, until it wouldn't take any more, when I "glassed" the leading edge though, now that I have the alignment fixed, it seems as strong as the rest of the wing.

I still want to get a close look at the genuine, R2, Passer-X to compare the fuse. The Specter seems quite thick for the size. I have a sneaky suspicion that the Specter is a run of "seconds" with extra glass laid in or, perhaps, just a little extra resin or gel-coat? I also have a sneaky suspicion that the fuse would make a dandy lawn dart or whiffle ball bat if I ever break the wings!

If I do follow through with my plan for a 2.5-3 meter floater I might try to turn the Specter into more of a warmliner. I enjoy covering anyway so I would strip the wings, add carbon to the main spar, leading edge, and trailing edge. Some people have also added a second joiner using the servo lead pathway and that wouldn't be very hard but I don't know there's much one could do about the main joiner. One could, in theory, add a little strength buy using a tube with a smaller tube or solid rod nested inside. If/when I have the covering off I might look into a more robust joiner but that will have to wait for a winter project. It's plenty strong for normal soaring and i had it going scary fast in the wind today. Plus, I'm having too much fun flying it to take it out of commission!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
791 Posts
So the wings are made of balsa? I've never had a balsa plane. Are the balsa wings stronger than EPO foam wings? Are they easier or harder to repair?
HoosierGuy is online now Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,584 Posts
I'm flying from a park just four blocks from my house on Oakdale Ave. I used to live down in the Red Wing area and traveled the southeast part of the state far and wide looking for just the right place.

Funny. I've never had a better thermal soaring spot than the local park. It's two football/soccer fields laid end to end and Highway 52 is about 200 yards east so, with an easterly wind, I get monster lift from the freeway without having to fly over it. There's a small industrial park directly to the south so I get lift from that parking lot with a southerly breeze. The Northwest end has a large park and ride lot that also produces great thermals. And, if there's a stiff breeze from the south/southwest, I can get some ridge lift from a big line of trees.

I've only had one complaint from a "helicopter parent" who thought I was distracting the kids playing baseball on the nearby diamonds but my audiences have included a couple police officers and the grounds crew and they've had no complaints. In fact, one of the groundskeepers just might join me some day. He seems really interested so I figure that sometime when he's on lunch break I'll hand him the box. One of my neighbors who had flown gliders a few years back got a Calypso already and it would be nice to get a little informal club going. Plus it would be really nice to have an advocate "in the system" in case someone thinks I'm having too much fun and complains! But? I can fly during mid day since I'm retired and there's just not a lot of potential for conflict during the week. I usually go out to a friend's farm and fly my nitro powered planes over the weekends anyway.