Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Peter, interesting Fairing! I have pondered adding a small triangular piece of balsa but so far the tail is very study. I was saving that until I bump and loosen things up.

I was wondering about your color scheme. I found that the light yellow color gets more and more difficult to see as I get higher than 700 ft or so. Perhaps nothing can change that but a larger plane ;-) Does the coloring you added make a difference in visibility?

About slipping in a full scale glider, I agree it's for the less slippery planes but does work safely when necessary. You just have to keep your speed up and nose down. Again I really only use it to keep aligned on cross winds as my spoilers are very effective.

Just for fun, this is me in my full size glider! It's one of the first ever Fiberglass gliders, a Phoebus
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
The tail fairing is strictly cosmetic. I've given the tail a couple pretty good whacks against doors and such but it seems plenty sturdy. I just glued it to the covering so I can peel it off if I need to do a repair. I don't even know why the appearance bothered me so much since it's unnoticeable at a few feet.

Transparent yellow isn't my first choice. I think transparent blue is aesthetically my favorite and red is probably the most visible under the widest set of lighting conditions. I have always found having a stripe on one wing, regardless of color, helps with orientation as far as one can see it and fluorescent colors "flash" in the sun. That being said, once it's high enough, it all turns black and only a bigger plane will help at that point. One thing that I really like is that the yellow I added to the ailerons shows up when I pop the spoilers. This really helps on landing against a cluttered background. I also find that the fluorescent colors are really helpful to figure out angle of attack at the top of a climb.

Looks like a fairly tight fit! I've gone for rides in gliders a couple times and I must admit that my minor claustrophobia kicks in once the canopy is closed. It's not enough to cause a full-blown panic attack but I get a little nervous. It's weird that the small space causes me more discomfort that flying around with no power. It wasn't a problem when I was littler and had the opportunity to do a few winch launches at Torrey Pines. "Human hi-starts", as Dad used to call it, are a real rush.

As you said; side slipping in a full scale is very different than doing it by eye. I do use rudder for crosswind landings but I think there are better ways to lose altitude and kill airspeed with an RC model. The few times I've tried to train full scale pilots to fly RC have been interesting experiences. It's generally easier to train a youngster who has played a lot of video games than an experienced pilot who depends on the seat of his pants. The theory is the same but it's a different skill set.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:50 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
86 Posts
Hi to all, i have read many post about the Specter and Passer X, i'm very intrested form the Specter but i have a big dub?!? how the tail must be fix to the fuse? i don't see any screew or other for for fix the tail.... i can't belive must be only glued?
Thank for your reply
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Maverick, my tail is glued on with epoxy. To make sure it stuck well I sanded the fuse so it would be a rough surface. Then I poked many holes in the covering of the tail feathers. I rubbed the epoxy on to assure a good bond, let it setup for about 15 minutes and then held it carefully in place. All that is holding the tail on is epoxy in my case. no pins, nothing else.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like close up. Those servo horns on the tail I made myself from an old circuit board. I kept a few empty boards from years ago and use them when I want specialized horns. I grind them to shape on a bench grinder and they last a lifetime.

Last edited by SoarWest; Aug 27, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:36 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
Maverick, my tail is glued on with epoxy. To make sure it stuck well I sanded the fuse so it would be a rough surface. Then I poked many holes in the covering of the tail feathers. I rubbed the epozy on to assure a good bond, let it setup for about 15 minutes and then held it carefully in place. All that is holding the tail on is expoy in my case. no pins, nothing else.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like close up.

Many thanks for your quick reply, you have done the same that i thinked, i belived need other fix definitively.... if i buy the model i follow your suggest.
Another question, Hobbyking suggest an inrunner hi run speed motor , i have read that many owner had installed a quite motor and 10x6 propeller, i have a 1000 turn/volt motor and a 9x6 or 10x5 propeller think right? i don't want and hotliner i need motor only for takeoff after i want glide.
Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Hi, maverick.

I did pretty much the same on my tail. The only differences are that I: removed about a 6mm strip of covering, ground some shallow dimples in the fiberglass, and used a drop of CA at the very back of the tail surfaces to hold them in place while the epoxy dried.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:21 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, maverick.

I did pretty much the same on my tail. The only differences are that I: removed about a 6mm strip of covering, ground some shallow dimples in the fiberglass, and used a drop of CA at the very back of the tail surfaces to hold them in place while the epoxy dried.
Well, confirmed few seconds ago the order to the Eu Warehouse..... and now i must wait the delivery.
i will buy spinner and folding prop at the global warehose, EU Warehouse have only few items in stock.... other parts for already in my hands: 4 9 gr servos, Esc 30A and this outrun motor (believe right)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Welcome to the club, maverick. I would guess that motor will work very well; especially if it will swing a 11 inch prop.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
been looking at one of these,i have the speedy and the dynamic s from hk,just ordered the specter last night.i am really starting to like the glider/warmliner flying,very relaxing compared to the 110mph+i am use to speeding around the field with.i got the last one in the usa warehouse,lol
oly_rcer is online now Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Welcome to the club, maverick. I would guess that motor will work very well; especially if it will swing a 11 inch prop.
Thanks for the hospitality (excuse me for my catastrophic english)
This afternoon i have ordered two folding spinner and blade, one complete set sold with 9x5 blade other one i have bought the spinner and a couple of 10x6 blade
Bought by Giantcond England belive delivery in Italy early that HK HongKong.
If i will be lucky for ending of this week maybe have the Specter, transplant the folding prop from the Fox and try to fit on the Specter.....
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Your English is much better than my Italian! I think any spinner between 30 and 34mm should work. Even the 28mm isn't too bad. Mine is 33mm and I can't tell it's too big unless I get within 1/2 meter.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
How do you like the Speedy, oly_rcer? It's on my short list for a "warmer" warmliner. My Specter with the KDA motor has the thrust but I'm a little apprehensive about pulling too many Gs. I basically limit full throttle to near vertical climbs. It does, however, do a beautiful split-s and passable tail slides.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
The glider I have in mind for a next step, is the Typhoon. It seems to be strong enough to handle nearly any speed I could dish out!

It's only $100 more than the Riot on HK and I believe a much better build. From what I've read the Riot is ok but not the same quality.

http://www.olerc.com/sailplanes/sail...on-x-2-0m.html

My only concern is if the Typhoon slows down at all to thermal or is it a racer all the time?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
The Typhoon is a beauty and, given the empty weight of 950 grams, I would think that it could thermal in strong lift if one keeps the electronics on the light side. Some of the Esprit Model/Topmodel "hotliners" should soar pretty well. I find the Enigma and the Twister Acro particularly interesting. But? I don't know if I would really enjoy a better speed/aerobatic ability so they are a bit lower on my list than the pure floaters like the Avia plus I really like transparent wings. The Specter will climb vertically and will loop and roll with or without power so I just don't know if I would gain that much by going to something with a heavier structure.

http://www.espritmodel.com/sailplanes-hotliners.aspx
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:13 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
the speedy is a great flyer.has a huge batt area,i was running 4s 2650 batts.had a 2836 with a 6.5x5 prop and it screamed on full power low passes.think probably around 90-100 or so
glides really well and does manuvers like spins straight.only thing is watch the speed on landing for tipstall.comes in nice with spoilerons.get the composite rather than the glass one,its cheaper and stronger,lighter too.it can run a 36mm outrunner alsofor swinging big props at speed.oh yeah,be sure to drill a couple of cooling holes for the motor or it will get very hot
oly_rcer is online now Find More Posts by oly_rcer