HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:45 PM
Slow Hawk 4
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Discussion
New SlowHawk 4 arrived

Last week I received my SlowHawk 4 -- thanks, Sean!

Because I am totally new to R/C, I also ordered a Radio & accessories kit (FS-CT6B)

Soon, I'll start assembly and figure out how all of this works. No hurry -- I've got a lot to learn.

Today I joined RCGroups, too. Great discussions, answers, and photos here.

If anyone else in the Seattle/Eastside area has a Kinkade ornithopter, perhaps you'd be interested in piloting this bird's maiden voyage. Let me know--thanks

It would also probably be helpful for me to double-check the setup of the bird and radio, and then to observe how to fly before taking the sticks myself.

In any case, I'll likely post some follow up reports. There are sure to be other rookies out there who may benefit as well.

Bob
Stallman is offline Find More Posts by Stallman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,876 Posts
Welcome to the magic world of SK ornis.
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:11 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
432 Posts
Ditto! Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
215 Posts
Just got mine up today for the first time ! It was fantistic! Made a few mistakes along the way. With the help from the guys here you will be OK! Other than assembly, battery placement was important!! I don't know much but would be happy to help you so you don't make the same mistakes I did. Buck
Buck Shot is offline Find More Posts by Buck Shot
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Slow Hawk 4
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Thanks!
I've not yet flown, but am getting close...
Basically, everything is together.

I'm not sure exactly where the center of gravity should be, but currently I've got it set for about 5" behind the wing spar. Does that sound about right?

The thing that will be harder to fix is the replacement of a servo. I installed the one for the elevator and the mounting flanges fractured and are not repairable. I didn't think I tightened the screw too much, but now I think I need to replace the servo.

I'll write Sean and also check with our local R/C store.
Do you have any ideas or thoughts about that servo?

thanks!

Bob
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Apr 2012
215 Posts
5" sounds good for nose plants!! I have found from the leading edge to the center of a 800mah battery at 9.5" works best for me. 10.75 to the far end!! Were the two seams form a VV on the wing meterial! Buck
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
Slow Hawk 4
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Thanks, Buck. I'm glad to get some feedback.

Maybe this picture will help. The battery is right above the receiver and the CG is identified with a Post-It note with an arrow. That point is about 5.25" behind the leading edge. I can move the battery a max of 2" back which would place it at the very back of the Velcro underneath the wing.
QUESTION #1: Do you think I should move the battery back from its current position in the photo?

Also, the angle of the tail assembly when stick-neutral is about 40 degrees from the horizontal line that runs from front to back in the center of the wing. I followed Sean's directions to put the servo arm onto the servo when the stick was in the full "up" position. His directions say the result should be 20-25 degrees of pitch from the horizontal.
QUESTION #2: is that pitch angle too high?

By the way, you may see that I've used a Hitec HS-65MG (metal gear) servo for the elevator because the mounting flanges on the original one (that I got from Sean) broke off. It shouldn't matter though. The distance from the center of the servo shaft to the first pivot is the same as what it was using with the servo & arm that Sean supplied.

thanks for your interest and feedback
Bob
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
215 Posts
My battery placement is the same and your tail angle looks like mine too. Only thing different is your receiver is further back than mine. It shouldn't make much difference. From what I can see it's ready to go!! Buck
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,158 Posts
looks fine to me also wind alters your cg more wind further forward but no wind at the back
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Last edited by therealthing691; Jul 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:07 PM
Slow Hawk 4
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, both of you.
If weather is good the day after tomorrow, I'll head out to the field
But first, a proper photo session...

thanks again
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:20 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,158 Posts
hg65mg are a great servo they are more expensive but are very long lasting as a couple of birds of mine have done over a couple of 100hrs air time yes a lot of hours
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:52 PM
Northwestern Illinois
Joined Jan 2003
189 Posts
I’ve been using Corona Ds-939’s for a couple of years on orni's and had to rebuild my first one last weekend after a rough landing. The gears were not damaged but rather the connection from the output shaft to the positioning potentiometer started to slip. Rebuild kits are 3$ and the servo’s can be purchased for 15$. The 939 have an output torque of 34.7oz-in as compared to the Hitech 65mg’s 25oz-in. I’ve never heard mention of anyone questioning the power of the Hitech, just putting out some facts. The Corona’s are slightly taller and slight modifications are needed for the rudder servo mounting, the elevator mounting is fine.
n553302 is offline Find More Posts by n553302
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:04 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,158 Posts
cool i will keep that in mind