HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jurgen Heilig, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:53 AM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
730 Posts
Hi Jurgen!

Thank you for another great video (even if the subject remains something I'd rather not see).
I'm wondering what the circumstances where for this to happen (I hope it wasn't set up...). Can we talk about negligence from one or both pilots?
Did the Habu pilot not see the Su-29? Was the Su-29 suposevly allowed to hover at that spot (after all, he's above the runway, people might need it...)?
In any case, is there a lesson to learn?

:-)
Chrizz is online now Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:52 AM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
932 Posts
I think what we can learn from this is it's good to have spotters if their are more then one plane in the air. An extra set of eyes could of prevented this accident.
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
I think what we can learn from this is it's good to have spotters if their are more then one plane in the air. An extra set of eyes could of prevented this accident.
Exactly!!!...And when someone hovers over an active runway when others are flying the pattern a spotter can not only direct the jet away but give a shoutout to the 3D flier that his flying is unsafe for the conditions...There's a time and a place for everything and hovering over an active runway isn't the time nor the place when others are flying the pattern...Inconsiderate 3D flying has become so prevelent that at our area club fun flys we now set aside special time to allow 3D flyers to showcase their talents and don't allow 3D when other planes are flying the pattern...During the entire event spotters are mandatory..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,256 Posts
Anyone hovering over a runway or fixed wing traffic pattern area should seriously consider hovering over the helicopter pad and not in the middle of the fast lane.

Let me put it this way - if a mime in a striped shirt decided to accomplish his "trapped in a box" act in the fast lane of the Autobahn would he be considered to have the right of way as a pedestrian, or should he move to the side of the road so as to not damage the front end bumper/grille and windshield of the nice BMW coming around the corner? Hmmm.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
I agree completely! Whenever you have different speeds of aircraft flying it is best to have spotters. And not just for one plane....but whatever plane is in the air!

But midairs happen....they can't always be prevented!

With that said....did the Habu keep flying or did it crash right after the impact?
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:46 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Let me put it this way - if a mime in a striped shirt decided to accomplish his "trapped in a box" act in the fast lane of the Autobahn would he be considered to have the right of way as a pedestrian, or should he move to the side of the road so as to not damage the front end bumper/grille and windshield of the nice BMW coming around the corner?
Ed, I love your analogy. It's good. But I believe you should change "Autobahn" to highway.

Jürgen, correct me if I'm wrong, but here I believe a pedestrian on the Autobahn is illegal. Yet you are allowed to walk along a highway.

If I remember my German driving instruction, no pedestrian — and neither a mime in "his 'trapped in a box'" — is no allowed on the Autobahn. Not even on the shoulder of the Autobahn unless, for some emergency reason their car is inoperable, like a blown tire in which case you are allowed to change it with a spare — and not having a spare tire when driving on the Autobahn is also illegal — or your car has a blown motor, etc. Just running out of gas? On the Autobahn it's penalized with a fine ... because it's not allowed. I don't even think Germans consider pedestrians on the Autobahn a risk because ... well, it's just not imaginable.

Love that video. Not many people would keep the camera on the 3D plane so steadily. Good editing.

I, too, believe a big 3D model hovering above the runway with other models flying around has no business being there. It's not unlike a helicopter. But it's not illegal. And sometimes even spotters can miss a call.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:00 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,270 Posts
Bummer for the owners but SWEET video!

Yeah... What happened to the Habu?

Hovering over runway is a big No-No in my book.
And I'm not Anti-3D.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:41 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
730 Posts
@Jurgen Heilig:
Hi!
Wouldn't you happen to have some more 'tape' from the footage you've edited this clip from?.. Maybe a habu's landing? :-)
Chrizz is online now Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5