HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

F-86 Sabre Micro EDF RTF Review

Now available is the "Ready To Fly" version of the Great Planes F-86 Micro EDF, now with Tactic transmitter.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:15" (381mm)
Wing Area:53.1 sq in (3.4 sq dm)
Weight:2.35oz (67g)
Length:14.4" (366mm)
Wing Loading:6.4 oz/sq ft (20 g/sq dm)
Speed Range:40+ mph
Transmitter:Tactic TTX402 4-CH
Receiver:4ch Micro
Battery:250mA 7.4v 20C
Motor:11,500kV brushless inrunner
Fan Unit:30mm HyperFlow ducted fan
ESC:6A brushless
Manufacturer:Great Planes
Distributor:Great Planes Model Distributors P.O. Box 9021, Champaign, IL 61826
Available From:Tower Hobbies and hobby retail stores
Price:$149.97

Hot on the heels of Great Planes' Tx-R version of the F-86 Sabre, comes the ready to fly version. I had the opportunity a short while back to review the Tx-R version, which you can read by clicking the link below, and for all intents and purposes this version is the same, but with the addition of a Tactic transmitter and a slightly larger capacity flight battery, so I'll be taking a closer look at the transmitter that's bundled with it. This review will be more of a supplemental add on to the original review, so be sure to check out the link for detailed info on the F-86 itself.

Click this link for the original review:
Great Planes F-86 Sabre Micro EDF with AnyLink Review

Kit Contents

The RTR F-86 Sabre comes with everything the Tx-R version came with, which includes a car charger, clip on wheels, pilot figure, and instruction manual. The flight battery is slightly larger than the original 200mah, 15C battery, which they've replace with a 250mah 20C battery. Also in the box is the Tactic TTX402 4 channel transmitter, along with 5 "AA" batteries to power it.

Tactic TTX402 4 Channel Transmitter

Physically, the TTX402 transmitter is about 2/3rds the size of a standard transmitter, and its gimbals are more akin to video game controllers without the flat top on the stick. I wasn't sure how I was going to like it, particularly because I fly "pinch" style with my thumb and finger, and I was a little concerned about its diminutive size. The transmitter itself is a basic 4 channel unit that is very simple to operate. It has four digital trims for the channels, a power sitch, and a power LED. The transmitter operates on 2.4ghz, so there is no worry about conflicting signals.

The back of the transmitter reveals the main battery door, where the five "AA" batteries that power it are installed. Also on the back is another door that flips up to reveal a small charge port. This port must be meant for some other model, as it is not used with the F-86.

Flying

As soon as the first flight was underway, my fears about the smaller transmitter were laid to rest. The Tactic Tx was comfortable, and I soon realised that I wasn't even thinking about the transmitter as I was flying. The digitial trims made quick work of making sure all of the control surfaces were where they were supposed to be, and I found the transmitter to be pretty light to hold. As many people have noted, the F-86 can be a little tricky to hand launch, and I once again found myself pointing it slightly at the ground when throwing it. Using the wheels on a smooth path or runway is definitely the easier way to get the F-86 in the air!

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Check out the video from my original review, make sure you check it out at this link:
Great Planes F-86 Sabre Micro EDF with AnyLink Review

Youtube Link

Conclusion

The addition of the transmitter in the box makes it very easy to just grab and go get your flying fix in. The transmitter works great, and so far I haven't had any problems with it. The slight boost in battery capacity and power is noticeable, but only when flown back to back with the original battery. If I was randomly handed one or the other I would be hard pressed to tell you which is which. If you haven't read it already, I encourage you to read the original review here, and whether you want a ready to fly version or to bind it to your own transmitter, the F-86 is a fun plane to fly!

Pros: Everything you need to fly, and it's a fun park flyer.
Cons: Can be tricky to hand launch!

Last edited by Angela H; Aug 03, 2012 at 05:13 AM..

Discussion

Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:37 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,430 Posts
Nice review Chris. I will have to get one of the new batteries. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:35 PM
RTF only for now!!!
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Mar 2007
332 Posts
Good review. It is cool that this higher performance plane can still be flown effectively with the RTF transmitter even without expo or dual rates, making the TX-R version an option for those who already have the RTF transmitter from another model.

The small charge port is for charging the 1S batteries used with Flyzone's other micro models.
Greg_Vincent is offline Find More Posts by Greg_Vincent
Last edited by Greg_Vincent; Aug 03, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:49 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
No landing gear, no DSM, no nothing (let along retracts). Just wait for Parkzone to release the F-86 verion of their Mig.
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:45 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail tupulov View Post
No landing gear
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:16 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:57 AM View Post
wdsu_27
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while wdsu_27 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:17 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail tupulov View Post
I am still going to get one of these. Nearly half the price of the Mig and a free Anylink system for me TX. That is hard to beat even if it doesn't fly quite as well as the Mig.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:46 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Put two flights on the Great Planes Micro F-86 yesterday. Overall impression very favorable.

Used the Anylink module with my DX7. Worked well, but I hate sticking the module on the TX with velcro.

Used the landing gear, as we have a great runway at the club field.

Enjoyed flying it for the very most part. Good power and speed and decent duration from the little fan and motor. Mine had the newer 250 battery with the model. the fan sounded great and was vibration free, which was nice.

One issue that I did not care for was how Great Planes rigged the model. They molded in a significant amount of negative stab incidence, which is fine until you do a roll or extended inverted flight. It then takes a massive amount of down elevator to level out the roll while inverted and to fly inverted.

Need to tun the rates and exp a little more, but will not be hard to dial in, I think.

Take off and landing manners were quite nice in the 6-7 mph winds Saturday evening. Carrying a touch of power allows the model to make very soft landings. Power completely off tends to allow the model to develop a little more sink rate than you need to have, and the model tends to bounce at touchdown.

Overall stability was pretty good. I was alternating flights with this model and with my fairly new Parkzone uM Spitfire with AS3X gyro stablity assist. The Spit was a little more stable and groovy, but the little F-86 was not that far behind it.

I though the quality of the finish on this F-86 was really nice...very well done and perhaps a little nicer than the latest HH uM and uMX models.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:52 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I am still going to get one of these. Nearly half the price of the Mig and a free Anylink system for me TX. That is hard to beat even if it doesn't fly quite as well as the Mig.
Not sure how you can say it is half price compared to the uMX Mig. The Mig is 150-170 BNF and the little F-86 is $150-160 TX-R with the free Anylink module.

I guess if you had to buy a DX6i TX, it would be twice as much, but that is not comparing apples and apples. For any Spektrum user, the price is basically the same for either model.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
627 Posts
i have the mig an sabre, i think the sabre looks better , and the mig flys a little better, i got the sabre for 99.99 with a free anylink when it first came out, and i just ordered a new sabre 2 days ago when tower hobby had them on sale for 59.99 with a free anylink so the first sabre was 49.99 cheaper then the mig and the new one i just ordered is 90.00 cheaper then the mig.
im not saying anything bad about the mig, hh has the best cus service, but the sabre for 49.99 and now 90.00 cheaper for the new one i just ordered makes the sabre the better choice for me
xlrDALLAS is online now Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Last edited by xlrDALLAS; Dec 10, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Nov 2011
20 Posts
Yea, I had been eyeballing the f-86 as well. My LHS had it for $79.00 with the AnyLink and I thought t at was a sweet deal. When I went in on Sat. to buy it had been reduced again to $59.00 SWEEEEEEEET. I have not flown yet. Need to get the Futaba cable as none of the supplied cables will work with my radios.
stefan zakaib is offline Find More Posts by stefan zakaib