HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2003, 07:00 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,915 Posts
Rant
Update on new Astro VE motor. I am not pleased.

I decided to make a new thread to air my griefs about this new 803HV with the cooling fins.

Up until the 19th flight this motor and ESC combo flew great. I flew it on 8 cp2400 cells, a 15 tooth pinion, stock rotor blades and at 85% throttle. On the 19th flight I bumped up the throttle to 90%. The first few minutes were great. The heli was rock solid and had plenty of power. I could easily do 540 stall turns, and some ugly looking loops (Today was my first attempt at doing loops, I did 3 ). A few minutes through the pack and the power system started behaving strangely. I brought the heli in to hover closer and observe it. At about 10 feet of altitute while I was reeling her in, the motor shut down and I auto-ed it down safely. I looked the heli over and didn't see anything wrong with it. I temped the motor, esc and battery. They were 125, 90 and 120 degrees respectfully. I tried to throttle back up a little and it did nothing but chatter.

I unplugged the battery, packed up and headed home. When I got home I looked it over, pulled the motor and ESC out of the heli and tried to reprogram the ESC. It didn't work and still kept chattering when I tried to throttle it up. Now I'm just going to toss it back in the box and send it out to Astroflight. I've had this motor and ESC for only a week, after waiting 2 months for it.

*sighs* should've gone with a Hacker.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2003, 09:33 PM
Toowoomba Aus
Joined Oct 2003
8 Posts
Frank,

I was having so much fun. Flying today on my new Lipo pack, at about the 9 minute mark at 80 feet my new 803HV seized. I hadn't tried autos until now. Luckely I have only broken a blade grip and a link. I am also not impressed. I have only put about twelve flights on this motor. This item will be going back to Astro flight ASAP. I wonder can I get my money back and buy a Hacker!!!!
smeegarnn is offline Find More Posts by smeegarnn
Old Nov 14, 2003, 09:41 PM
Closet Extrovert
In transit Los Angeles ->AZ, -> KY
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
The chattering sounds like one of the wires is loose in the back. Do the 803s have the stiff wires like the 801s?
Jim Poor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Poor