SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Discussion
Paddles for V911 flybar mod?

Hi,

I'm thinking to do the V911 flybar mod with paddles.

I read the great thread "Massive Overkill's V911 mods".

My doubt or question is which flybar could be better(better and stronger to fit in the V911)?

I think that Massive Overkill used a MSR flybar like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-MSR-fl...item2572cad256

I'm considering the T-Rex 100 flybar too: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Al...6-p-46576.html

Somebody else did the V911 flybar mod with paddles? with which flybar? any comments or hints about this?

Thanks a lot!
fly77 is offline Find More Posts by fly77
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:08 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
Initially I used the Xtreme carbon flybar for the Solo Pro and used the Xtreme paddles made for the MSR carbon flybar.

I wouldn't give Xtreme anymore of my money until they fix their broken design (well I'll give them money for the paddles).

Just buy the paddles and install them on a spare stock flybar with the weights cut off and the ends slightly sanded down.

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8593

If you also own a 9958, get the full flybar set:

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8162
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Thanks a lot MassiveOverkill!

I don't have a 9958... I read some about v911 vs 9958... some says that 9958 is faster and better for outside... what do you think? Anyway, I think that I'm going to buy another v911 bnf and save money for my next step that is going to be more expensive for sure.
fly77 is offline Find More Posts by fly77
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
Fly, my opinion on the 9958 is rather lopsided. I can't fly my 9958 outdoors because in stock form, it can't handle the windy conditions here. My modded V911 can, so my 9958 just sits unassembled...... sulking..........patiently waiting for me to get bored enough to try and mod her again for better outdoor flight than my V911.

Frankly, the V929 Beetle pretty much axed any chances my 9958 has. It flies like the 9958, but at least for me.........it seem easier to control and goes just as fast. I have no problems flying it outdoors and I've crashed it a bunch of times without any damage..........which I'm not surprised as it comes from a strong lineage known for robustness.

I would hold out and see what the 939 brings to the plate. If it's equally nimble as its bigger brother outdoors, but flies better indoors, it may be the one to get next. There's also the new paddled Helios (V911 clone) which may be worth getting once it's out.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
massive,

for someone with just a v911, any reason to modify/add the paddles to a stock modified flybar instead of picking up one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-FLITE-BLAD...item4164e2592c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-Blad...item2c668c1802

on ebay? the paddles seem the same price as the setup already ready to go, or is there something i'm missing that i'd have to do to those to get them to work?
pelotudo is offline Find More Posts by pelotudo
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
That flybar won't work on the V911, but it will work on the 9958. The stock flybar is very resilient and putting the Xtreme paddles on the stock flybar will eliminate flybar strikes. If for some reason you were to break the stock flybar, you can transfer the Xtreme paddles to another one.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
That flybar won't work on the V911, but it will work on the 9958. The stock flybar is very resilient and putting the Xtreme paddles on the stock flybar will eliminate flybar strikes. If for some reason you were to break the stock flybar, you can transfer the Xtreme paddles to another one.
I used that flybar with the stock bar and I don't know if I did something wrong but now the copter flies like it's dangling on a string. I guess some refer it to the toilet bowl effect but it only occurs when I come to a halt, it's like the v911 is on a rubberband. Speaking of which, when I fly forward swiftly, the forward pitch is greater than it ever was, but at the end of the travel.....the v911 rears back a few feet.....again as if there was a rubberband attached to the tail.

The hollow part of the paddles were filled with epoxy, so the added weight helped a little, but now I'm thinking I need to add lead, lol

The bar is balanced, I can have it teeter on a pin. The measurements were exact on both sides. Maybe I screwed up by trying to match the length of the original msr paddle to the v911?
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
I'm having what I believe to be the toilet bowl effect issue with the paddle fly bar mod as well. I have two stock V911s. I ordered the BenMa Helios 100 paddle fly bar 58015-04.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Be...5-p-49228.html

The Helios paddle fly bar is approximently 4" long vs. 5" for the original V911 fly bar. The weights in the Helios bar appear bigger and likely heavier than my modern V911.

The newer V911 (with the modified new plug) I believe has smaller weights in their fly bar than the older plug V911. I broke both of my original V911 fly bars in various crashes, first throwing weights and eventually breaking both fly bars in half beyond repair. I could successfully fly the original fly bars both with or without their weights in their fly bar.

The Helios bar if anything appears to have slightly larger ball joints that connect to the connect buckle and may have a larger joint area where the screw connects. These seem to make the fly bar overall less free moving.

I plan on trying to sand the attachment points of the helios fly bar and/or possibly oil these joints in an attempt to free up this assembly. If this or something else does not correct the issue I am going to have to declare my Helios fly bar mod a failure as the toilet bowl effect is too bad to fly. The area of the toilet bowl circle appears to grow with each revolution and forces the heli to fly sideways on an angle and can not be corrected quick enough to fly stable.

Could this Helios 100 fly bar just be too small? Too heavy? Or is it just a wrong fit for the V911?
Tek34 is offline Find More Posts by Tek34
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
I use the Helios paddle fly bar, the V911 flights great with it.

As stated above you have to sand the attachment points of the helios fly bar a little.
Stenkryparen is online now Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:51 PM
Spain, Valencian Community, Burriana
Joined Mar 2012
119 Posts
I use too benma helios paddle fly bar, for me is the best choice...
Geso is offline Find More Posts by Geso