HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, CA, Lower Lake
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
Discussion
I'm never buying a used UMX with AS3X again

I have the UMX bug. I love flying the little suckers in my backyard. BUT... I've had nothing but bad luck with my two AS3X experiences.

I'm never buying a used AS3X plane again. I find think the servos are pretty junky from new, let alone used. Why do they incorporate the tail servo's on the board. What they save on production costs is not worth it.

I wish I could turn off the AS3X too, might make the servo's last a little longer. Grrr. I'm really frustrated right now.

My overall experience with UMX planes has been mixed. They are fun, but the cost is high all the way around. I'm tempted to sign them off. I could have built some great larger models for what I have invested in little planes. I could have bought a new Align 700 easily. I'd still be flying the 700.
phranticness is offline Find More Posts by phranticness
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:18 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Sheesh...are the micros becoming THAT bad?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:05 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
So far my luck has been excellent with both the AS3X and conventional models.

(maybe I'm tempting fate by saying that)

Pete

Edit: it would be nice to be able to shut off AS3X for another reason. They recommend limiting ASK-21 flight to 25 minutes. With a battery of that size and no motor I'd expect the battery to last an hour or more so the dithering servos eat a lot of milliamperes.
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; Jul 09, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:00 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Used micro's, would have to be cheap and in great condition. As for AS3X, it takes getting used to, getting the settings on your tx perfect and time flying it to figure out how not to fight it. After all that, it's great. I beat my CC up pretty bad this weekend, fixable and I will fly it more but I'm now well on my way to needing a new airframe a steel goal post does a number I've been eyeing this one http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...t-p-20571.html for a while, heard it was a handful to fly but I think my new airframe will be this instead of a CC airframe. The AS3X would likely really help this kit. Would be a rocket with brushless too . Betting unlimited vertical and hovering.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:01 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
it would be nice to be able to shut off AS3X for another reason. They recommend limiting ASK-21 flight to 25 minutes. With a battery of that size and no motor I'd expect the battery to last an hour or more so the dithering servos eat a lot of milliamperes.
The battery that come with the ASK-21 is only 150mah.... But the trick is, you don't have to activate the AS3X technology for this one!!! AS3X activate only when you give some throttle (and since there's no propeller, you don't have to give some, if you don't want to....).

I think to be safe, it would be better to trim the throttle waaaaaay down, so you don't accidentally activate the AS3X while using the rudder (mode 2). So you could probably do whole flights without AS3X if you wanted! And somehow, I'll bet some guys will come up with very light, but higher capacity batteries for this bird! I'm sure my light 180mah Hyp are even lighter than those over protected 150mah. And I would bet that a light 240mah may be the trick.

Would be nice to have telemetry (battery voltage)...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler