HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by crxmanpat, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:31 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,146 Posts
Discussion
Nico Hobbies

Hello! My name is Pat Gagnon, and I'm the owner of Nico Hobbies, home of the mini pusher jet!

Nico Hobbies was founded in April 2009 by Adam Bradley ("adbradley") when he designed a profile F-22 Raptor similar to the one done by Tomas Helberg, but with several design changes including an 18" wingspan and made for 3mm depron vs 6mm. He also used a design by Jim Wagoner ("eliworm") to create a smaller F-15.

In February 2010, all assets of Nico Hobbies transfered to me when I purchased the company from Adam. At the time he also had an F-18 and Eurofighter in the works, and I finished them and made kits available. I have also expanded the line with several other planes that are either reduced copies of larger planes (reproduced with the original designers permission), or new designs I created from scratch. These are all part of the Mini Profile Series.

Nico Hobbies is expanding again to include two other series of planes; the Pocket Jet Series which is based on reduced size versions of Steve Shumate's ("jetset44)" planes (done with permission), and the Simple Build Series which are traditional-sized planes (~28" wingspan) and are all original designs of mine.

All of my kits are laser cut by JTechLaser (Jim Wagoner) here in Mesa, AZ. Kits include everything you need to build a plane, but without electronics (foam, CF spar, ply motor mount and control horns and pushrods). I also sell a full Power Package for the kits, and several combo options are available.

Both the Mini Profile and Pocket Jet Series use the same power system, which consists of an 1806N 2500kv 19-gram motor, 10A ESC, two or three (depending on the plane) HXT500 5-gram servos, GWS 4530 prop, and a Hyperion G3 3S 850mAh 25C lipo. The Simple Build Series uses the tried and true Suppo 2212-6 2200kv motor, 30A ESC, two HXT900 9-gram servos, APC-style 6X4E prop, and a Hyperion G3 3S 1300mAh 25C lipo.

All of my kits have free plans and build threads located here on RCG. Here are the links:

Mini F-22 Raptor

Mini F-15 Eagle

Mini F-18 E/F Super Hornet

Mini Eurofighter Typhoon

Mini J35 Saab Draken

Mini SR-71 Blackbird

Mini Mig-29 Fulcrum

Mini Su-30MK Flanker-C

Pocket Jet F/A-18 Hornet

Simple Build Concorde SST (also includes plans for a 125% size, as well as a twin motor version)

Simple Build Su-47 Berkut

Chengdu J-20 Chinese Stealth Fighter (although I did not start this thread, Post 36 and beyond has plans and info)

XB-70 Valkyrie

In addition, I've created a Tip & Techniques thread to help the new builder. It contains a lot of good information regarding building materials, construction techniques and suggested electronics for these popular planes.

I often travel around the southwest throughout the year attending various flying events, and have my store set up in a booth. The major events I attend are:

AMA Convention (usually in mid-January in Ontario, CA)
Arizona Electric Festival (last weekend of January in Mesa, AZ)
Western States E-Fly (in June in Van Nuys, CA)
Ace In The Hole (in mid-October in Las Vegas, NV)
Big Jolt (usually in November in Chino, CA)
London Bridge Classic (beginning of Nov Float-Fly in Lake Havasu, AZ)
Arizona Jet Rally (weekend before Thanksgiving in Mesa, AZ)

Feel free to visit my site and check out what I have!

Pat
www.nicohobbies.com/store
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Oct 14, 2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added build links
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,710 Posts
Your Planes ROCK!! Thank you for introducing into the jets!! They just a blast and I'm glad you have this page allocated for pictures and info :-) All the best!!
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,146 Posts
Thanks Eran! Hope to see you flying the F-22 at Big Jolt!

Pat
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:07 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,187 Posts
XB-70?
Didn't see it on the website.
Is this a new upcoming release? Any details?

Also, when will the Pocket Jets (F15) be available again for sale?
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:33 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,146 Posts
Yes, the XB-70 is still in development. In fact, I have Ver 2 on the table now. It will be part of the Simple Build Series, all of which will be added to the site soon.

And the same goes for the Pocket Jets. Redesigns are almost done, and once first copies are verified good they'll go back up.

Pat
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:55 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,442 Posts
Hey Pat,

Nice blog post. Enjoyed the history of Nico Hobbies. Count me in on the XB-70! One of my all time favorite aircraft. Actually sat in the cockpit of the real one in Dayton,10 years ago. Looking forward to flying your bird. See you at Big Jolt!

All the best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 80mm F-86
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:56 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,146 Posts
Thanks Tony! Working hard to get V2 done before Big Jolt. Will bring it if it's ready.

Pat
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Thanks Tony! Working hard to get V2 done before Big Jolt. Will bring it if it's ready.

Pat
all the best and I hope 2 c ya there Pat :-)
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:41 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,146 Posts
I just started a thread on the XB-70, and added a link above. Should get the maiden flight in this weekend.

Pat
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I just started a thread on the XB-70, and added a link above. Should get the maiden flight in this weekend.

Pat
Nice! Can't wait to see it :-)
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:36 PM
Miami,FL
Joined Jun 2007
763 Posts
any idea when the Suppo 2212-6 2200KV Brushless Outrunner
will be back in stock?
rick88ss is offline Find More Posts by rick88ss
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:11 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,146 Posts
I will be ordering more this week. Should be here in a few weeks.

Pat
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:44 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,609 Posts
How did the Name Nico Hobbies came about?
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:06 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,146 Posts
The friend I bought it from, Adam Bradley, has a son named Nicolas, and he calls him "Nico". Therefore, Nico Hobbies.

Since the website was already designed and the brand name was already out there, I kept it when I bought it from him in 2010.

Pat
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:03 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,609 Posts
I always wondered so now I know. Thanks.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy