SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
375 Posts
Help!
Should a Phoenix HV45 arm on a two cell battery?

Greetings,

All my esc's are High Voltage. I tried to run two different HV45s on two cells and neither one would arm but they did on three cells. I couldn't find out what the lower limit on them was. Anybody know?

Thanks,
Art
Art Horne is offline Find More Posts by Art Horne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:47 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,927 Posts
So you are trying to run a 51v ESC on 7v? Apparently you have found the low voltage limit. That’s probably way outside anything that CC intended on anyone using.

You should call Tech Support and see what’s the best recommended ESC for your application.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:29 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Horne View Post
Greetings,

All my esc's are High Voltage. I tried to run two different HV45s on two cells and neither one would arm but they did on three cells. I couldn't find out what the lower limit on them was. Anybody know?

Thanks,
Art
4s to 12s for the HV controllers.... They need at least 16 volts to fire up and run properly.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:47 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
4s to 12s for the HV controllers.... They need at least 16 volts to fire up and run properly.

I have seen a number of questions about the low voltage limit of HV ESCs and this is the first time I recall seeing answer from anyone working for CC. You need to get that added to the HV web page.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have seen a number of questions about the low voltage limit of HV ESCs and this is the first time I recall seeing answer from anyone working for CC. You need to get that added to the HV web page.

The processor on the HV controllers requires at least 16 volts (equivalent to a charged 4s lipo or 16 cell NiMH pack) to boot up.

I can see the confusion as this is taken from the FAQ page talking about linking the Castle Link to the HV controllers...

I have emailed the web guy. Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,706 Posts
Although not an ESC, it would also be good to have the minimum voltage necessary for the BEC Pro. I can't find that info anywhere. I have seen max current specs for a 4s setup, but was curious about a 3s pack supplying the Pro.

I asked this some time back and had no response--but those were pretty hectic times for CC. Maybe things are a bit more calmed down now!

PS--I know it boots up with a 3s, since I tried that when I hooked it up to the Castle Link the other day. I'm just not sure if it is recommended to use a 3s pack for the Pro to supply power with.
Alan Hahn is online now Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hahn View Post
Although not an ESC, it would also be good to have the minimum voltage necessary for the BEC Pro. I can't find that info anywhere. I have seen max current specs for a 4s setup, but was curious about a 3s pack supplying the Pro.

I asked this some time back and had no response--but those were pretty hectic times for CC. Maybe things are a bit more calmed down now!

PS--I know it boots up with a 3s, since I tried that when I hooked it up to the Castle Link the other day. I'm just not sure if it is recommended to use a 3s pack for the Pro to supply power with.
The PRO BEC will run on a 2s lipo no problem... if the input voltage is lower than the selected output you will have the input voltage.... I have run the CC BEC PRO on a 2s pack and normally I prefer to use a 3s pack in case you loose a cell plus you can use smaller cells... I lost a cell in a 6s pack 2 weeks ago while testing and the cell would not feed voltage through so I had a crash from 100 plus feet up... Heli is back together and flying... I had never seen this and I must admit I put the system back just the way it was prior to the crash... I send the ESC and the BEC PRo in to be tested as the crash was substantial...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
The PRO BEC will run on a 2s lipo no problem... if the input voltage is lower than the selected output you will have the input voltage.... I have run the CC BEC PRO on a 2s pack and normally I prefer to use a 3s pack in case you loose a cell plus you can use smaller cells... I lost a cell in a 6s pack 2 weeks ago while testing and the cell would not feed voltage through so I had a crash from 100 plus feet up... Heli is back together and flying... I had never seen this and I must admit I put the system back just the way it was prior to the crash... I send the ESC and the BEC PRo in to be tested as the crash was substantial...
Thanks. For reasons really only known to myself, (and I'm not even sure about that!), I am planning to use two 3s5300 packs in series for a 6s setup for a 600 sized heli. It seemed reasonable to wire only the lower 3s pack for the BEC Pro.
Alan Hahn is online now Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:52 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hahn View Post
Thanks. For reasons really only known to myself, (and I'm not even sure about that!), I am planning to use two 3s5300 packs in series for a 6s setup for a 600 sized heli. It seemed reasonable to wire only the lower 3s pack for the BEC Pro.
This should help...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337474