Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,172 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum AR400

Used today, OOS several times. No problems thus far. TX is 9303 with X conversion.
Picture is side by side with a 6115E and after case is removed and replaced with heat shrink. Fits in the Falke flat to the bottom of the fuse. $29. So far, my new favorite receiver.
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:17 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,243 Posts
Can you make it do flaps & ailerons?

BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
Can you make it do flaps & ailerons?

BP
Yes. On the 9303 in sailplane mode the two aileron/flaperon channels come out on thro/ail. Elevator rudder as usual.
Can't speak to other transmitters, but I assume 9503,et al do the same.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:24 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,418 Posts
And is it carbon safe? My understanding is the ar6255 is the only receiver safe to use in our dlg's if there is much carbon present...
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
And is it carbon safe? My understanding is the ar6255 is the only receiver safe to use in our dlg's if there is much carbon present...
My understanding is that the 6255 is carbon safe because you can get the antennae outside. You could do that with one of these, the other you could route outside if you mounted carefully. Maybe we need a ar400 with two long antennae.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,151 Posts
I've been using the AR6115E in a few DLGs with no issues, only in Kevlar/FG only fuses though. With longer antenna, like the 6255, I'd consider using it on carbon fuses. Just have to be certain of the antenna placement and always range check a new installation in multiple orientations prior to flight, like always!

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
570 Posts
Be very careful with carbon fuses. It is not just getting the exposed antenna out of the fuse it is creeping it free of the carbon all together. Even if you poke a non insulated antenna out of the carbon pod, if it touches carbon at any point during the exit it will short out the antenna. Bad news. In fg/Kevlar fuse have at. 6255 is the gold standard but use what works for you.
austinhlg is online now Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:38 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
588 Posts
It's no more or less carbon safe by design, but the short antenna does make it a little more difficult to orient ideally if in a carbon pod.

What is not shown in the OP is that the long antenna contains a powered amplifier to boost signal strength.
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:46 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,390 Posts
Interesting. I'm still guessing this isn't going to be of much use to most of our DLGs because it won't have enough channels for dual ailerons and flap operation, right?

I'll definitely be picking some of them up for my parkflyers though. Nice job, Horizon!

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:25 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Interesting. I'm still guessing this isn't going to be of much use to most of our DLGs because it won't have enough channels for dual ailerons and flap operation, right?

I'll definitely be picking some of them up for my parkflyers though. Nice job, Horizon!

Andy
If the radio can handle the mixing required for DLG then yes the receiver will do the job.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:46 AM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
387 Posts
I was really interested in the this receiver for the price, size and weight. I'm finding it behaves a little different than other Spektrum receivers. One thing I figured out the hard way was after binding, if you put the data logger in the data port and turn the plane on, the receiver will not power up (It in the manual).

Also I noticed that the receiver has a fail safe mode that is not 2 aileron configuration friendly. Looks like the failsafe mode is designed for electric models. It disables the aileron connected in the throttle port when it goes to failsafe. The aileron just goes dead in last position. I wish that feature was removed. (edit: reread the manual with a litttle more sleep, receiver should drive to throttle servo/ESC to preset position that was set up during bind)

Anyway range test looked good. I will charge my DLG and test fly tomorrow.
dbaya is offline Find More Posts by dbaya
Last edited by dbaya; Jul 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
387 Posts
Bummer Couldn't get my AR400 to stay bound. Somethings not right with this one. I will have to send it back to the LHS or Horizon. At least I can rely on Horizons customer service.

Oh I did try my AR6255 and AR500 on the same plane. Both worked fine. Nothing is wrong with the plane or me.
dbaya is offline Find More Posts by dbaya
Last edited by dbaya; Jul 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added more info
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
I now have an AR400 in my DLG, and have experimented with the failsafe. Manual says that if the signal is lost, channel 1 is driven to the failsafe position (established when binding), and all other channels just get no signal. I found it to behave slightly different.

When signal is lost, channel 1 (throttle channel) which is used as left aileron in glider mode is indeed driven to whatever position it is in when binding occurs. However, I found that channel 2 (right aileron in glider mode) is driven to a neutral position (independent of the position during binding). Channels 3 and 4 (rudder and elevator) are not driven to any position - they remain in whatever position they were in when the signal was lost.

This is not a great failsafe for gliders, however, it is better than what is stated in the manual. If both ailerons are at a neutral position during binding, then they will both be driven back to that position if the signal is lost.

It would be nice if they included a real failsafe on this receiver instead of just the low throttle failsafe on channel 1 for safety. But for $30, I guess you cannot have it all. Still, it would be worth an extra few bucks to me to include failsafe. Half of my airplane fleet is fine with just 4 channels, and this receiver fits the bill (tiny, inexpensive, dsmx, lightweight, full range, no satellite, flight log compatible, etc). Failsafe is the only thing missing.
demick is offline Find More Posts by demick