HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Help!
Heng long tank distance control problem

Hi,

I bought 2 tanks (heng long) tiger and pershing. I had many issues.
- Tiger wont load correctly bullets. I must 'shake' the tank so he can load bullets.
- Pershing main plastic wheel is very cheep... It broke in the first hour. However, I bought metal upgrades so the cheap plastic problem was not a problem.

HOWEVER, the main problem I have is that my tiger has reception problem. I mean, once I have a distance of 3-4meters (15 feets), it looses reception. Is anyone had the same problem ?

I know the problem is within the tank because I try with the same controller for my pershing (no distance problem) and my tiger (distance problem).
Othor11 is offline Find More Posts by Othor11
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, CA, Oak View
Joined Jul 2012
50 Posts
did you check if the antenna was mounted properly and is the battery charge correctly
because low voltage to the reciver make a dampend effect on the rang of the tank.
chaosmaker159 is offline Find More Posts by chaosmaker159
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:09 PM
General of the Army
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Most likely causes & fixes could be ...
1) Poor connection of the outside antenna to the mounting pole.
Make sure the long outside spring antenna is firmly mounted to the contact pole by twisting it downward so it is as far as it can go down onto the pole. You can also try the spring antenna from the working tank, though it's highly unlikely there could be something wrong with the spring antenna itself, it's usually just not pushed on well enough to make good contact.

2) Poor connection of wire to the upper hull's mounting bracket which is held in place by a small screw.
Make sure this is tight & the wire is connected well to the small ring that is holding it there, some times these become loose or the wire is not properly attached to the ring itself.

3) Poor connection between the wire getting connected to the upper hull mount, & the second wire getting connected to the small receiver board located in the lower hull.
The wires usually connect together with a type of long slim banana style clip where they just push together. Make sure this connection is pushed all the way in as far as it will go. Also make sure both the wires ends are also attached well to those banana style clips, as they sometimes become loose too.

4) Poor connection of the wire which is soldered to the small receiver located in the lower hull.
Make sure the solder joint of this wire is good & it is connected well to the receiver.

5) The small receiver board's wire with 3 prong clip which connects to the larger RX-18 board is not properly or firmly plugged into the RX-18.
Make sure the receiver plug is seated properly into the RX-18 by removing & re-plugging it into the RX-18

6) Make sure the crystal in the small receiver board is pushed in all the way.
Sometimes the receiver crystal is not in all the way, so remove it & plug it back in again.

7) Some times a poor battery will cause poor reception as well.
Make sure the battery is 100% charged & try a different battery in the tank as well.

8) Also make sure the batteries in the hand controller are also 100% charged.

If none of this helps, it may be a faulty receiver board causing the issue. You can always try taking the receiver board out of the better working tank, & attach it to the faulty tank for testing, making sure to use the right controller for that receiver as well, or changing to match the crystals. If the receiver from the working tank still won't allow the defective tank to get better distance ... I'm at a loss for any more advice.

Good Luck!

~ Craig ~
badassforce is offline Find More Posts by badassforce
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Hi, thanks for the help. Everything seems good with the direct antenna (outside and inside).

I think the problem maybe your forth option.

It seems that the wire connection from the antenna to the board, on the board, has something wrong. I may not say if it's that but maybe. There is a spot, on the board, for the antenna wire (it is written 'antenna') and it seems the wire is not precisely welded to the exact round spot called 'antenna'... But I cannot say It must precisely goes on the spot unless I completly open my fine working Pershing to take a look inside and compare - something I would not like to do..

What is strange is that it is only a matter of distance. After 3m15-3m50 it dont receive anymore... If it was a crystal problem it would just dont work I think. The problem must be associated with the antenna.

Finally, it is not a battery problem. I recharged news batteries 6-7 hours (after I had completely discharged them) but thanks. I had prevously some batteries issues too. But I tried with mny differents batteries.

If you have any precise Idea. Or I think i'll have to earn my level 1 into 'electronic device' to go further... (and buy voltmeter and welding kit). Well, I'm not really afraid of that since I got a few courses in that in high school, and that would be a good reason to tell to my girlfriend : 'Look, those tanks made me learn electronics !'... But still, would have prefered it worked out of the box !
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
I dont know if it change thin but I whent there :

http://www.toyzcastle.co.uk/2012/ind...&product_id=80

And you see the picture of the board. My antenna wire is welded to the down spot and not the upper one like in the picture. May it change something ?
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:34 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othor11 View Post
I dont know if it change thin but I whent there :

http://www.toyzcastle.co.uk/2012/ind...&product_id=80

And you see the picture of the board. My antenna wire is welded to the down spot and not the upper one like in the picture. May it change something ?
The board in that picture is actually shown inverted or upside down, as you can see all the text on it is upside down. The board in the picture is correct, just make sure you are looking at your own board in the exact same orientation as the board pictured. If you are, & you say your wire is soldered to the other pin, it would actually be on the top pin of the 2 shown near the "Ant" (antenna) pins, as the bottom pin is the correct location for the antenna wire to be soldered ... at least on my boards.

So the answer would be that when the board is held & looked at in the correct upright orientation, with "Ant" showing properly in the upper left of the board, the wire will be soldered to the lower pin of those 2 pins. If your's is soldered to the top pin, then I would assume it is in the wrong location ... though I'm not 100% certain, it would make sense to resolder it to the proper lower pin!

The solder joint could be a "cold" solder joint too, which would make a bad connection. Pictures of your actual board, if you can post them, will always help forum members in diagnosing your issues. If you have a soldering iron, & are comfortable with soldering, then you could heat up the joint & make sure the solder flows smoothly to make sure the connection is as good as it can be. Just make sure the solder & wire only connect to the one lower pin.

I only mentioned checking the end that went into the large RX-18 board before, but also make sure the 3-pin plug is also firmly connected to the small receiver board itself, sometimes that isn't plugged in good enough either & can sometimes work itself slightly out.

~ Craig ~
Last edited by badassforce; Jul 09, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
hi Craig, thanks for the help. Here is the picture :
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:31 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
hi Craig, thanks for the help. Here is the picture :
I would say it absolutely looks incorrect to me. It looks like you need to de-solder it from that top pin, then solder it to the correct bottom pin.

Here is a picture of one of my boards.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Hi,

After resoldering the wire to the good pin, it know just work just well !

Thank you very much Craig. Your help was very usefull.

Valery Roy, Quebec.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:42 AM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

After resoldering the wire to the good pin, it know just work just well !

Thank you very much Craig. Your help was very usefull.

Valery Roy, Quebec.
Glad to hear you fixed the issue & the tank is functioing at correct distances Valery; a little bit of teamwork can go a long way!

This is the first time I have read about an issue with the antenna wire actually being soldered to the wrong pin on the small RX-18 receiver board from the factory. By the looks of your board photo, you can see a big ball of solder was already on the correct pin, & it looks like the wire may have been there initially but was for some reason moved from that pin & then soldered to the incorrect pin. I guess I'll have to revise the #4 option to not just making sure the wire is soldered properly to the receiver board, but to also include making sure the wire is soldered to the correct pin too!

~ Craig ~
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:07 AM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Bulldog short reception distance

My Bulldog seems to suffer from short distance reception. I took the top off and compared my board with that picture and my antenna is soldered to the larger spot to the left of the upper and lower solder points. will that cause the problem?

All my batteries and packs are fully charged.

Name: IMG_0266.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 218.8 KB
Description: Henglong M41a3 Bulldog
darklordsidius is offline Find More Posts by darklordsidius
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:58 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,803 Posts
HELLO ALL that is intresting on what is being talk about. FOR I am working with the older boards and doing repair work for a store that gets tanks in that dont work or having problems . I am learning as I go. I have the Pershing and a couple of tigers. MY pershing runs good . THE tigers that I have seem to be ok. BUT I am finding alot of problems even with the older tigers manly boards . Kind of intresting . O am talking about the older tigers tanks that run the old rx14 boards befor the RX 18s. Have not had a chance to play with any of those yet. FOR THE store dose not get in those tanks with the newer systems.
I will keep those tips in mnd myself thanks from DON THE Rustbucket.
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:09 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,803 Posts
oK i have one more question can eather one of you tell me what to look for on the out side of the tank that will tell me or give me an idea that a tank is one of the newer Rx 18 boards if there is not radio for it or dose all of them have the christals? I would think a christal would tell me but like I say I have not had a chance to play with one yet. Thanks DON
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:50 AM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordsidius View Post
My Bulldog seems to suffer from short distance reception. I took the top off and compared my board with that picture and my antenna is soldered to the larger spot to the left of the upper and lower solder points. will that cause the problem?

All my batteries and packs are fully charged.
Well darklordsidius, I now have 2 of these receiver boards & both have the antenna wire soldered to the exact same location on the board as in my previous picture, & both tanks work perfectly at the proper distances as they should.

As you can see by the posted pictures of where my perfectly working HL tank's receiver board had the wire soldered to it, where Othor11's receiver on his very short range tank first had the antenna wire soldered to it was not the same location on his board, & when Othor11 changed the wire location & soldered it to the same pin on his receiver board to where the wire on my board was soldered, how he stated it fixed his short range issue to where the tank was now getting proper ranges & control.

So with this very limited experience with my 2 receiver boards & now with how it is known to have fixed Orthor11's board, I would say the only way for you to answer your question is to do the same thing as Orthor11 did to find out if it fixes your short range issue too.

~ Craig ~
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:56 AM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Don, other than opening the tank up & looking inside at the electronics to identify them, I'm not that experienced in how there may be differences, if any, between HL tanks which would have an RX-18 in them as opposed to those HL tanks with the older boards by just looking at the tanks. Not saying there isn't an easy way, but I don't know enough about the tanks to share any, sorry.

~ Craig ~