HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:17 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,449 Posts
Question
Aquacraft VS1 T/Hull W K&B 3.5CC O/board ?

I have everything I need for this boat..I have it offered in classified section but if no takers just might assemble it and give it a shot. Boat is built for most part and finished in clear coat. Massive decal sheet and complete hardware. Looks pretty nice and weight is fine. Anybody out there run this VS1 ?? Field I fly at has pond that Tucson RC boat club uses. So its real close to run this hull. Boat is offered with boat kit and engine+ extras for new engine. Any idea how fast this will go with K&B .3.5cc outboard? Thank you,Dan
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:54 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,950 Posts
Good price and it's a wonder that it didn't sell! BTW, it's GrimRacer which used to be Grim Racer/ Power Surge Racing before Mike got the job at AquaCraft. I've never seen an adjustable mount from K&B either yet ones from Du-Bro, Prather and Octura..
It should run in the low to mid 40's stock.
I bought one from Mike as he was auctioning one off for a foundation that he works with but never assembled it. I did some swapping with someone who wanted the hull so I didn't do anything with it.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,449 Posts
Ron,
Thank you for info. I have not recieved any hits in classified but someone will get a terrific deal. I never looked hard at this kit but it is real fine. Ran into guy at local Hobby shop who use to race and maybe get him to run some boats. Just might have to use this in future.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
I have heard it hits 68 mph if a grim racer 3- bladed prop is used with a stock os max outboard with the shim taken out of the head (greater compression) and running on 50% grim racer nitro. Not sure the K&B will push it that fast, but it will be plenty fast enough. Of course if you wanted absolutely incredible speeds, mount the Rossi 3.5cc outboard power head to a REK lower leg. However I don't think the VS1 is designed to handle that power. It will likely just flip.
fatbill69 is offline Find More Posts by fatbill69
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:30 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,950 Posts
I don't think so Bill unless it's highly modded. I'd have to look at the IMPBA SAW record but that's a lot of speed for any .21 OB tunnel.
The VS-1 hull was designed after Mike's Villain hull that was designed for modded outboards (the V in VS-1) which he ran with modded engines. AquaCraft of course had to change the name to help avoid confusion between it and the Traxxas boat.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
I don't think so Bill unless it's highly modded. I'd have to look at the IMPBA SAW record but that's a lot of speed for any .21 OB tunnel.
The VS-1 hull was designed after Mike's Villain hull that was designed for modded outboards (the V in VS-1) which he ran with modded engines. AquaCraft of course had to change the name to help avoid confusion between it and the Traxxas boat.
This is information that was passed down to me from Mike Zaborowski through the guy at my local hobby shop. The instruction manual for the VS1 states it is designed specifically for stock outboards and not modded ones. The hull is so light it wouldn't take much power to put it on the moon!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:43 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Regardless of what motor it was designed for, it's not going to hit 68mph with a stock OS outboard, not by a long shot. I would bet it hits 45mph at best with a stock motor.

Here's the current records: http://www.impba.net/attachments/063...012%281%29.pdf

The record for A outboard tunnel is 49mph, and that's not on a stock motor. Even the modded B tunnels are only hitting 65mph.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,950 Posts
Maybe a little faster since a well setup K&B can hit 45. Bill, i don't know where you get your info at but it's someone full of........ hype. Even their latest model in stock form won't go that fast. There is a special Grim Racer prop that Mark Sholund makes which is a highly modded X-440/3 that Mike worked on and perfected before he went to work for AquaCraft. It's a strange looking thing but does the job.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Yeh, I suspect the person trying to sell it to me was practicing the fine art of false advertising. Sorry for the incorrect info. It doesn't seem very likely considering the stock OB record is about 61mph. What is the fastest tunnel hull on the market right now for B sport racing? And where can I get my hands on that prop Ron? I have a Top Speed 2, but I don't think it is race worthy.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,950 Posts
I thought wrong on the prop earlier today as it's a highly modded Octura 1440. You can contact Mark at http://www.props4u.com/ . Be forewarned that it may take a while for Mark to do one up for you as he does between 300-600 props a year as a side job. He's done up a couple of special ones for me and he did a fantastic job on them. You might want to ask him first as to what prop he'd recommend for you as nitro boat props are his specialty. Just let him know what hull and engine that you have.
The VS-1 has been doing well at the races that I've been to but sometimes it's the Hot Boat Of The Week when it comes to this class. It does need all wood joints checked out of the box as some can separate a little as they are hand-built.
I haven't kept up that much with who are still making .21 OB tunnel hulls as one of my favorites if I wanted to build another has gone out of business. One other, DPI has just been kick-started again by a new owner. I had 2 of their 3.5's and one 7.5. They are out in plastic now but plans are for them to also be laid up in 'glas.

Telling tall tales is nothing new with anyone from eBay sellers to manufacturers. I've seen boat for sale on eBay where you really have to read the ads as some are manufacturer copy. One really bad RTR boat advertised that the HULL was capable of speeds up to 65-75 MPH, not the boat as sold. The RTR would only do about 17-19 MPH out of the box while it lasted which was for only if the owner was lucky, 2 runs before it would self-destruct.