aerial photographer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Dec 2004
113 Posts
Question
Missing documentation for programming a Keda 18A ESC

Hello,

I bought four Keda 18A ESCs (KDA) to use on a quadcopter. They look like this:

There is documentation for this ESC at http://www.kd-motor.com/downloads.htm but it is incomplete.

I need to know how to set the battery type to NiMH so the quadcopter doesn't fall from the sky when the LiPo is almost empty.

When I connect the ESC with full throttle on the tx and wait 5 seconds, I get 4 or 5 beeps as described in the manual.
When I wait another 5 seconds, it gives 1 beep 5 times.
Then it gives 2 beeps 5 times ... etc until it gives 5 beeps 5 times. Then it starts over with 1 beep five times. What does this mean?

There is a programming card for sale for these ESCs (which I don't have) that looks like this:

Note that it reads "Advance plus prog card", so perhaps they are compatible with Pulso ESCs.
It lets you program:
  • battery type (NiMH or LiPo)
  • brake (on or off)
  • cutoff voltage (low or high)
  • timing (low or high)
  • cutoff type (hard or slow)
  • throttle curve (linear or logarithmic)

Does anyone know how to program these attributes of the ESCs using the throttle stick?

Thanks!
Lorphos is offline Find More Posts by Lorphos
Last edited by Lorphos; Jul 08, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:24 AM
aerial photographer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Dec 2004
113 Posts
I found this document
http://88.101.156.191/VPR/manualy/re...Pulso4heli.pdf
about Pulso ESCs that mentions 5x three and four beeps. It doesn't discuss the 5x five beeps, however.

Guess it's not the right one.
Last edited by Lorphos; Jul 11, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:56 PM
aerial photographer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Dec 2004
113 Posts
Saker it is

I contacted KEDA and they advised me to use a programming card.
When I insisted about the 3, 4 and 5 beep sequences, they pointed me to the manual for their Saker brand ESCs at http://kedamodel.com/product/doc/ESC...%20advance.pdf

The sequence in that manual matches my KEDA 18A ESC!

Here is the relevant section from the Saker ESC documentation:

Option parameter assistant by transmitter
The transmitter can set only one parameter of ESC at a time. If you want to set several parameters, please repeat the
following procedures:
  • Plug the JR connector into throttle control channel of receiver.
  • Switch “on” the transmitter and move the stick of throttle to the highest position.
  • Connect the main power pack to ESC (pay attention to the polarity).
  • Wait for 5 seconds, you will hear 4 beeps, that means it entered the programming mode.
  • And then you will hear 5 “single beep”, then 5 “double beep”, then 5 “triple beep”, then 5 “quartet beeps” and then 5 “quintuple beeps”. And these sounds will circulate continuously.
  • Each group of 5 sounds stands for a different parameter of ESC respectively.
  • You can put the stick of throttle to the lowest position during one group of 5 sounds, then the corresponding mode is saved.
  • Hear 1 “♪”(Brake-Medium) or "♪♪" (Brake-Off) , then you can exit the setting mode after saving the mode.
  • When the mode is saved, you can disconnect the ESC to the battery pack.
Brake: Hear the first “♪♪♪♪” in the above circulation, put the throttle stick to the lowest position, the braking mode is
changed from Brake-off into Brake-Medium. If you want to change back, please repeat the above procedures, and
vice versa.
Battery type: When you hear 5 groups “♪” or “♪♪” or “♪♪♪”, move the stick of throttle to the lowest position.
1 “beep”: Li-XX battery
2 “beep”: NiCd, NiMH battery
3 “beep”: LiFe battery
Timing: Hear 5 groups “♪♪♪♪”or “♪♪♪♪♪” , move the stick of throttle to the lowest position.
4 “beep”: Automatically change the timing of motor(recommended for all types of motors)
5 “beep”: Timing-High(recommended for 10 (or more) poles motors and outrunner motors)
Note: When the timing mode of motor is saved, please adjust the motor on the ground before the flight.
So, set the cutoff to NiMH I wait for 2 beeps five times, then move the throtle to minimum.
Last edited by Lorphos; Jul 11, 2012 at 02:04 PM.