HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kman76, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:45 AM
kinetic memetic heretic
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Thanks for the info; I really want to make an X8 heavy lifter if only to have an overabundance of power and extra motors for the sake of redundancy. Less likely I'll lose gear that way and/or crash the bird into a playground full of orphans. I hear people get mad when you hurt orphans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Also, I've noticed that my arms have more play in them, they roll in an axial direction around the arm because the holes are a bit larger than the bolts. It makes it easier to get the bolt through the hole, but the arms tend to shift around, even when tightened.
This I don't follow; maybe newbness? The arms have more play, rolling around the arm? Do you mean the motors have more play, or the motor mounts? Sorry for my incomprehension here.

Thanks a lot for the info, though. Appreciate the time.
Dredhead is offline Find More Posts by Dredhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:19 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Yeah, I saw this too. The motor mounts were ever so slightly twisted in relation to the arms and twisting them straight again was easy. Which means they'll probably rotate in flight as well so I'm wondering about a fix. I'll post back if I find something easy that works well.

Here's my build log so far
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
83 Posts
I finished my build and did a first flight test with Naza FC this weekend, So far total weight of the quad including with 2200 mah battery is approx 1430 grams.I got about total 6 to 7 min's of flight time.Planning to get a bigger capacity 4500mah or 5000mah lipo. Not bad it fly's stable and smooth.Only thing so far that i noticed was wobbling landing gear.

Btw one more thing that i noticed with NAZA FC's failsafe mode was when i toggled from AttMode to Failsafe mode the quad landed and touched the ground and bounced up and down couple of times. Actually this never happened with my old X525 quad with solid aluminium arms and those claw shaped landing gears.So i don't know why it did that, May be it's bcos of tall bouncy landing gear or some thing else related to the NAZA FC's tuning.

Let me know if some body had this issue and any suggestions..
kman76 is offline Find More Posts by kman76
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:56 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
It was missing a few things. No battery tray, but you can order those separately for cheap, and it was missing the bolts for the spacers that hold the control unit board in place. I had some sitting around, so it didn't slow me down. It has a little dome for the top, but I just ordered a couple extra of the X650 clip-mount tops because they hold the arms in place. If you DON'T have something like that, then you need to zip tie the arms out, because they won't stay out by themselves. They open and close, which is nice, but when they open, the little plastic clip-hub is not strong enough to really hold the arms out.

Although, even with the X650 bug-top on sometimes the arms will fold up on you. That provides minimal support for the arms. Best solution is to just carry around some decent zip-ties and zip the arms open when flying.
Hey do you mind telling me where you got your battery tray ? I didn't see any on RCTimer store.

So the only thing missing from the Combo kit was the battery tray and the spacers?

Is it underpowered with the stock 2836's Or would you go with a 35xx 1000kv setup?

Does anyone know if the HK KK2.0 board fits with the existing holes or are you using some foam?
Fidy$Trainer is online now Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Nov 2012
15 Posts
Those pics are really pretty!
Hazel1919 is offline Find More Posts by Hazel1919
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:38 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Hey all,
I am looking for frames, for my first quad, and read this thread.
There was mention of this frame:
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/platypus-x...ame-p-603.html
Is that better, or the same as the one this thread is about:
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...8&productname=

Same price, just different covers?
Which would be recommended?

Also, a few mentioned the missing battery plate - where do you find it?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
Yeah, I saw this too. The motor mounts were ever so slightly twisted in relation to the arms and twisting them straight again was easy. Which means they'll probably rotate in flight as well so I'm wondering about a fix. I'll post back if I find something easy that works well.

Here's my build log so far
I too noticed that same problem every time i need to straighten them.I am thinking of drilling a small hole and put a small screw on to each arm..Any idea so far?
kman76 is offline Find More Posts by kman76
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:10 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman76 View Post
I too noticed that same problem every time i need to straighten them.I am thinking of drilling a small hole and put a small screw on to each arm..Any idea so far?
I ended up using a drop of thread lock on the tubing. Works great!
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:37 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Hi Guys....

I fly an X650 and it looks to be the kit from FoxTech but I got it from Ali. In any case, in regards to the arm having a slight twist if not tight, yes, had the same issue and yes, it makes it not happy in the air. One wrap of electrical tape around the arm before you put it on makes for a world of difference. More to "grab" when you tighten down.

I fly with with SunnySky 2212 KV980 motors and 30 amp controllers and 11/5 props. Fully loaded, with FPV and GoPro using a 6000 battery, I get about 12/13 mins of flight time. Note...that is not "hard" flying, but shooting nice video. So not smashing the amps.

I had just seen about flashing the controllers...now that looks like a project but something that seems like it would do wonders. Does anyone do them or sell a kit or anything?

Some flight videos here if interested....

http://www.youtube.com/user/David350Z/videos

(I use the quad when we travel and am currently home so not a lot of flying as it is 13 degrees here is upstate NY. Can not wait to leave in a few days for 4 weeks and then later this summer we will be on the road for 9 months. http://www.OutsideOurBubble.com)

Take care.
David Bott is offline Find More Posts by David Bott
Old May 26, 2013, 04:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
266 Posts
Guys how about the x 800 platypus frame? anyone used that?
rahulvyas is offline Find More Posts by rahulvyas
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joined May 2013
40 Posts
I'm thinking of getting this frame too - thanks to you folks who to took the plunge! My question: I would like to use this with larger motors (RCTimer BC3530/14 1100KV) and large props (11 inch, maybe 12inch). Has anyone tried this motor/prop combination (or similar) on this frame? Did you have to modify the motor mount somehow?

Would also like to know if anyone has tried the V8 option, since I would like to upgrade to V8 after I get the hang of things...

Thank in advance / RandyQ
RandyQ is offline Find More Posts by RandyQ
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyQ View Post
I'm thinking of getting this frame too - thanks to you folks who to took the plunge! My question: I would like to use this with larger motors (RCTimer BC3530/14 1100KV) and large props (11 inch, maybe 12inch). Has anyone tried this motor/prop combination (or similar) on this frame? Did you have to modify the motor mount somehow?
Hi Randy. I just built this frame with 810KV motors and had to modify the motor mounts. Its a bit tricky, drilling the precise holes in the existing mounts. If you've got the extra money, you can get these...http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...upgrade/Detail
Problem is, its $90 for the 4 and you might as well go with a different frame.
As far as the battery mount that everyone keeps talking about in this thread, I bought one off of RCTimer and the rail mountings were too big for the rails. You can put them on and they're adequate for a battery mount (they don't slide around), but it makes me worried about ordering a gimbal for an x650 and expecting the rail mounts to fit the rails. Does anyone have any info on this?
atpfilms is offline Find More Posts by atpfilms
Old Jul 07, 2013, 11:48 PM
Joined May 2013
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atpfilms View Post
Problem is, its $90 for the 4 and you might as well go with a different frame.
You are totally right. I realize now that there is no sense getting this frame if it will be very, very different after I am finished modifying it. I was planning to make new engine mounts and put on longer CF arms (of course, after flying for a while). And once I put a gimbal on, also probably different landing gear, so not much left of the original RM650.

Thanks everyone for the input!

rgds/ RandyQ
RandyQ is offline Find More Posts by RandyQ