SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by kman76, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Feb 2012
83 Posts
Discussion
Multicopter X650 V4 Air Frame

Folks,

I am planning to build a quadcopter for FPV using Multicopter X650 V4 Air Frame from RcTimer.com which looks to be very nice , But unfortunately i have not came across any information about this frame in google or rcgroups or youtube. Guys pl's let me know if any body had tried earlier and would like to share their experience..Any suggestions and recommendations would be helpful.

http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...cat=158&gtype=
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...5&productname=

Here is the list of things that i am planning to use for this project..
1. DJI NAZA - M Controller
2. NTM Prop DRIVE SERIES 28-30A 750KV / 140W (With 10x4.5 Props)- From HobbyKing.
3. Turnigy Plush 25 A ESC's or RCtimer 30A ESC's
4. Turnigy 9X TX & RX
Thx
kman76 is offline Find More Posts by kman76
Last edited by kman76; May 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:06 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,861 Posts
I'm anxious to find out more about this one as well. I have the XAircraft X650, which is twice as much money, but I can't tell from the pictures if the frame is the same. The main arms look longer and/or skinnier in the photos. If they have interchangeable parts, this'd be a no-brainer purchase for me.

I love frames with folding arms. The compact travel size makes them ideal for me, and if you crash, usually the arms just bend and absorb the impact instead of snapping off.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
I'm anxious to find out more about this one as well. I have the XAircraft X650, which is twice as much money, but I can't tell from the pictures if the frame is the same. The main arms look longer and/or skinnier in the photos. If they have interchangeable parts, this'd be a no-brainer purchase for me.

I love frames with folding arms. The compact travel size makes them ideal for me, and if you crash, usually the arms just bend and absorb the impact instead of snapping off.
Any way i went ahead and ordered this kit from them and received last week.The kit came out really in good quality and i am satisfied with the kit so far and looks like it's made of carbon fiber.I have to see how the performence is going to be. I am still waiting for couple of parts from HK..It's taking for ever.

As you mentioned it's kind of looks like Xaircraft650 . I just put it together one arm and it's completely fold-able.Btw i checked the total size of arm from mounting end to other-end and which is almost 12 Inches length and around 16mm in diameter. What are the dimensions of XAircraft X650?.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:04 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,105 Posts
Interested to hear how you go
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:08 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
I've ordered one of these too, how's it going?
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:43 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,861 Posts
I got my kit this week. Got it built. It's pretty solid. I have the XAircraft X650 that this is based on, but the RCTimer version is MUCH larger. If you measure motor-to-motor, this is actually a 650mm size, but the XAircraft is more like a 550 sized craft. I was surprised how much larger this was. The motor mounts are quite a bit longer, allowing room for a bigger ESC, but also widening the craft, and the carbon fiber arms are also much longer. You could easily trim the arm shafts down to make it smaller if you wanted something smaller.

I started out with small motors, but have since ordered 35-30 motors for it and I'm gonna try turning it into a heavy-lift vehicle, just to see if it can handle a lot of weight. I want to load it up with batteries and try to get some longer flight times out of it. I could never get more than 8 minutes on my XAircraft X650, and I need to double that, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll post up some pictures in a few days of some mods I did on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Cheers. Looks forward to your foto's!

BTW,
did it come complete or does it still need parts? I heard that it needs a battery tray as well as load bars...?
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:12 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,861 Posts
It was missing a few things. No battery tray, but you can order those separately for cheap, and it was missing the bolts for the spacers that hold the control unit board in place. I had some sitting around, so it didn't slow me down. It has a little dome for the top, but I just ordered a couple extra of the X650 clip-mount tops because they hold the arms in place. If you DON'T have something like that, then you need to zip tie the arms out, because they won't stay out by themselves. They open and close, which is nice, but when they open, the little plastic clip-hub is not strong enough to really hold the arms out.

Although, even with the X650 bug-top on sometimes the arms will fold up on you. That provides minimal support for the arms. Best solution is to just carry around some decent zip-ties and zip the arms open when flying.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
83 Posts
Finally i got all the stuff that i was waiting for and started working on this new quad..I was very happy with the quality of the material so far.Only missing was battery plate in the kit. I wanted to give a try with BC2836-9 880KV motors and 30Amp ESC's before i get NTM motors & Turnigy Plush Esc's from HK.I was able to successfully flash motors with Simonk's firmware.

Now motors run very smooth and lot quieter.Thanks to Simonk. Actually I made my own rig for flashing these ESC's(It's very easy and you can make with a telephone wall jack/plug).

Check my videos and pictures..

Before Flashing:
Before flashing my ESC with Simonk Firmware (1 min 35 sec)

After Flashing:
After flashing my 30A ESC with Simonk Firmware (1 min 37 sec)

Wind_of_Change,RHTizzy: Let me know about your configuration, type of props that you guys are planning to use and share your experience as well..

***** One more simple rig for flashing Simonk's Firmware on ESC's *****
Last edited by kman76; Sep 06, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
I got my kit this week. Got it built. It's pretty solid. I have the XAircraft X650 that this is based on, but the RCTimer version is MUCH larger. If you measure motor-to-motor, this is actually a 650mm size, but the XAircraft is more like a 550 sized craft. I was surprised how much larger this was. The motor mounts are quite a bit longer, allowing room for a bigger ESC, but also widening the craft, and the carbon fiber arms are also much longer. You could easily trim the arm shafts down to make it smaller if you wanted something smaller.

I started out with small motors, but have since ordered 35-30 motors for it and I'm gonna try turning it into a heavy-lift vehicle, just to see if it can handle a lot of weight. I want to load it up with batteries and try to get some longer flight times out of it. I could never get more than 8 minutes on my XAircraft X650, and I need to double that, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll post up some pictures in a few days of some mods I did on it.
Wind_of_Change: You mentioned that "You never got more than 8 min of flight time on X650"..What was the capacity of the lipo battery are you using and total weight of the quad?. Btw where did you got those X650 clip-mount tops ?.I was actually thinking of getting this type of top cover, But i have to find out if somebody selling them .I like this type b'cos it has more room inside to mount any GPS or FPV antennas.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:50 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,861 Posts
I've been flying my X650 with a 3S 4000mah battery using 9x6 props on 1050kv 28-26 motors. Don't know the total weight of it, but it's pretty heavy with all the FPV gear.

That particular frame looks like one of X650 clones being sold by FoxTechFPV.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/platypus-x...ame-p-603.html

I almost wish I'd have gotten than one over the RCTimer simply because it came with a more useful cover, but I'm not sure if it actually clamps on the arm, or just mounts to the central frame somehow. You'll have to let us know.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Feb 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
I've been flying my X650 with a 3S 4000mah battery using 9x6 props on 1050kv 28-26 motors. Don't know the total weight of it, but it's pretty heavy with all the FPV gear.

That particular frame looks like one of X650 clones being sold by FoxTechFPV.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/platypus-x...ame-p-603.html

I almost wish I'd have gotten than one over the RCTimer simply because it came with a more useful cover, but I'm not sure if it actually clamps on the arm, or just mounts to the central frame somehow. You'll have to let us know.
It looks like the cap shaped top cover clamped on to the arms as shown on one of the pictures..Other wise all the frames are looking same except the top cover.

Will wait and see if some ebay seller sells them on ebay.Till that time will manage with that dome type cover from rctimer...
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Finished the build and was also only missing the battery plate. Not really necessary tho I feel as there are small platforms on the sides which can hang a battery. As long as you use one on each side it should be fine. I'm also quite pleased with the orange dome it comes with altho I did remove a thin sliver of plastic so I can twist\slide the dome onto the screws instead of just having them screwed in semi permanently. The folding latch mechanism also seem quite sturdy and not easy to dislodge. I've no idea what to expect when flying tho but I'm sure I'll try it as is just to see how it holds (slow as she goes of course).

I've set mine up with 1045 props, 2215 930Kv's motors and 30A ESC's (not yet flashed. Nice mod, I'd like to see how you did the wiring on that!). For interests sake I used two 1800mAh batteries to gauge the weight which came to 1400gr total. That's just the quad mind you, so no fpv or gimbal or other (except a gps unit and a BT module which both weigh next to nothing).

Am now waiting for my 2450 30C's to arrive before I try any flying. Not sure what kind of response or flight time to expect from those but am looking at a pair of 3700 35C's if they turn out to be limp.

I've also ordered a gimble from RCTimer as well as some 12" props just in case. I hope to get a full FPV setup going eventually but for now I'd just like to get some good aerial footage.

For other purposes (e.g. perhaps some loops and flips) I've actually also been looking for a shorter landing gear. Anybody found anything that fits?
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:25 PM
kinetic memetic heretic
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
xAircraft v4 to v8 upgrade kits fit this?

Hey all - following these threads with interest as I've been looking to go the same rout with the RCTimer frame, but was wondering if it has the same capability to become an 8-rotor quad like the xAircraft x650 V8.

If so, is the xAircraft upgrade kit the way to go, or is there a better method?

thanks
Dredhead is offline Find More Posts by Dredhead
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:16 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,861 Posts
The RCtimer frame has the same mounting method as the XAircraft, so yes you can mount motors both top & bottom of the arm mount, but mine didn't come with enough motor plates to do that, so you'd need to order four extra motor plates if you want to mount 8 motors. Mine only came with four motor mounting plates.

Also, I've noticed that my arms have more play in them, they roll in an axial direction around the arm because the holes are a bit larger than the bolts. It makes it easier to get the bolt through the hole, but the arms tend to shift around, even when tightened. If you don't get the motors fairly level, you could get drift as the motors try taking the quad in a slightly sideways, forward, or backward direction.

I've never used the XAicraft motors, props, or ESC's, so I can't comment on those.
RCG Plus Member