HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:23 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Discussion
Byron F16 conversion questions

I have just purchased a Byron F16 new in the box that I plan on building as electric. I have read through a couple of other build/conversion threads but have a few questions.

1. I have the Byron fan with it and am trying to decide what fan/power system to use. Should I look for a Byron fan conversion? I have seen the use of the XPS system but it is showing out of stock. Is it available anymore? Are there any other better systems out there now? I would like to run it on 12s 5000.

2. Is there any possibility or using full ducting and closing up the cheater hole and making gear doors?

3. Is it possible to fit a full cockpit and still have room for the lipos etc? What size cockpit model should I look for?

4. What would be a good set of electric retracts to use? FYI, I will be flying from grass.

5. I was told it is a polyester and not epoxy. What is the best glue to use for the build?

Thanks
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:38 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
I have just purchased a Byron F16 new in the box that I plan on building as electric. I have read through a couple of other build/conversion threads but have a few questions.

1. I have the Byron fan with it and am trying to decide what fan/power system to use. Should I look for a Byron fan conversion? I have seen the use of the XPS system but it is showing out of stock. Is it available anymore? Are there any other better systems out there now? I would like to run it on 12s 5000.
Use the Byron fan with Hacker A50-10L Turnado motor
2. Is there any possibility or using full ducting and closing up the cheater hole and making gear doors?
There was a conversion to add in let ducting. I did not see any major improvement to justify the trouble.
3. Is it possible to fit a full cockpit and still have room for the lipos etc? What size cockpit model should I look for?
LiPo's ended up in the center of the fuselage not in the nose.
4. What would be a good set of electric retracts to use? FYI, I will be flying from grass.
I'm going with the Hobby King F-16 retract on my conversion. E-Flite should also work.
5. I was told it is a polyester and not epoxy. What is the best glue to use for the build?
Hysol expoy also Zap-A-Dap-Goo are what I use.
Thanks
Answers in red. I'm getting ready to start another Byron F-16 conversion. This one I'm going to try the Ramtec fam with the Hacker A50-10L Turnado motor. Going 12S on this one. Using Airsally inlet lip and keeping the cheater hole.
Here is the build I did on Mike's Byron Mig 15, similar to the F-16.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:48 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Great info, thanks!

Do you have any experience with those retracts? It doesn't give a weight limit on the webpage but one review says they can handle 15lbs. I have the original gear and retracts but would rather go with electric.

Do you know anyone using that motor in the Byron fan? Do you have a build thread started yet on your new conversion? Are you going to sheet the wings?

Oh, and what adapter is needed to connect that motor to the fan?

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Jul 08, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:07 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,900 Posts
I agree with Bob(Bruff)..........use the Byron fan and the Hacker A50-10L Turnado motor. I am flying a Byron F-86 using 10s or 12s 5000mah packs......Byron upgrade Hurricane fan and no inlet tubing(too much trouble). I am using E-tracts by Lado. Try and keep the weight down.

There is a build thread on my F-86 including the motor/fan setup for this plane......might be of some help. I am at this moment rebuilding and re-designing the F-86 to lighten it up some.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646315
Madmax1965 is online now Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:10 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Thanks. Is the "Byron upgrade Hurricane fan" the stock fan that comes with the F16? What adapter is needed for that motor to work with the fan?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:17 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,953 Posts
EJF.com sells the Byran adapter.
Bob
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:20 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Ah ok. I was looking at their site earlier but see it now. Thanks!

I see the Hurricane fans are hard to find now. Should I give the stock Byron fan a try or look at a different brand?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Jul 08, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:23 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,953 Posts
Stock fan works fine. See here.
Bob
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:06 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,646 Posts
You probably already read my conversion thread. All the good stuff is there.

Don't just glue the formers in. You should always glass thenm as well. The instructions in the Byron manual are very good. Sand and wipe the fuse where you will glue the former and use 5 min epoxy. Then glass with cloth and polyester resin. I sheeted my wings with 1/32 balsa for ding resistance (plus the fact that getting a good low temp film these days is hard) and covered with ultracote. Byron fans work very well.......XPS needs lots of reinforcement and come out heavy.(19 lbs) Mine only weighs 13 lbs.

Ducting will not work due to the inlet size and the fact the nose retract takes up most of the space. A few guys have tried various ducts and closing off the cheater - but in the end it just wasn't worth the hassle. K.I.S.S.

A full cockpit (if you can find one) may fit - but there is not a lot of depth there. relocating the few items you have there should not be a problem.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:00 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Great, thanks for all the info guys.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
The Byron is a very good trainer type F-16 jet. I had one back in the day, with OS 77 and spring airs. Not the fastest F-16, but forgiving on the landings.

In fact, I found that my BVM F-16 with dynemax 12s/5300 at 16lbs was pretty forgiving as well. Must be the lifting air frame that helps.

On the formers, I would use a bit of 5min epoxy to hold them in and glass with polyester as mentioned above. After a light sanding and wiping.The lack of vibration from an electric can eliminate most of the concerns that we had in the past.

Non scale retract that are electric, you may want to consider the eFlite 120 size tri-gear and adapt as needed.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:29 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,900 Posts
Hurricane fans are hard to find.....maybe a few out in net land. I found they work very well but I like the sound the extra blades make. Go ahead and use the standard fan....build the F-16 as simple and light as possible. Steve is right about using a little glass to reinforce the parts in the fuselage. The planes fly well and simply need to be up-graded to todays standards. On my plane I moved the aileron servos to the wings...changed to the Lado electric retracts........modified the elevator servos so each elevator had a servo. Don't worry about trying to install an intake tube but be sure you don't do takeoffs on dirty airstrips as the Byrons are much like a big vacuum cleaner because of the cheater hole. K.I.S.S. is the way to go.....enjoy.
Madmax1965 is online now Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:33 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Thanks guys. I have just purchased an XPS motor/fan and esc combo used that was too good of a deal to pass up. If I find it too heavy I will just put a motor on the stock fan and use the XPS for another airframe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Aug 2010
17 Posts
Gentleman any thoughts on the new hacker A50 turnado 530 limited motor, over the stock A50-10L for the byron fan unit. I was using the 700-98-670 het but cooling has been a problem for me, motor got a little warm, thank you for your time
rotomatt is offline Find More Posts by rotomatt
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:52 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,953 Posts
Would be a good choice for 12S Byron fan system.
Bob