SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:44 AM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jul 2011
10 Posts
Discussion
my custom nav lights

for many years i have enjoyed rc helis and in particular anything in a scale fuselage.
one of the things i had always wanted to do was to be able to make my own basic electronics of various sorts to add to them,finally i decided to start playing with the picaxe line of microcontrollers as it was the easiest for me.
i had looked at microchips pic range before many times in the past but im not a "code" kind of guy and have to admit it easily baffled me but have finally managed what hopefully is the start of many rc related projects and gizmos to pass the time with.

for the time being i have put together a basic set of lights to eventually go into a fuselage at a later date but would love some input about the correct lights types and flashing patterns of any beacons or strobes of aircraft lights particular to helis as opposed to g.a

a little video of my lights so far

picaxe rc navlights (6 min 31 sec)
tony_g is offline Find More Posts by tony_g
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:27 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Lots of info on light patterns in the Scale forums. Your best bet is to look for the specific aircraft your modeling - although there are some basic requirements, not all are set up the same way..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:54 AM
Scottish Borders
Joined Mar 2006
578 Posts
Greetings Tony and welcome.

Hearing problems prevented me getting a lot from your video but you might find the link below helpful.

While the main thread gives great information on lights with Pic micros posts 3 to 5 detail a Picaxe system that does not use current limiting resistors and is interesting.

Dave

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=nav+light
orraman is offline Find More Posts by orraman
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
I put together a simple LED light system for my UM Champ, mainly for orientation after sundown. Red, Green and a super bright white flasher near the tail, a 'Switching Transistor' is used for the flasher with about a two second interval, and it's powered by a seperate 70mAh 1 cell Lipo.
Here is a link to switching transistors:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/...or/tran_4.html
caymin last is online now Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:51 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,665 Posts
Tony, have you seen ebay 10w RGB LEDs ?
I just got few, these usable day/night, low.bat. alarm works well - my LEDs change colors id batt. too low.
the lights added 10gram to my 300g wing

ulink rgb led (1 min 28 sec)

daylight flight

night

and here is the same wing before installing RGB, using 0.5w strawhat LEDs
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit