HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:41 PM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
216 Posts
Discussion
KK2 voltage alarm tutorial

This a a little hidden feature on the kk2 board that many people don't know about. I hope it help some people out there.

KK2 Voltage Alarm Setup (7 min 21 sec)
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Jun 2012
162 Posts
Thanks for this. Just started trying to use the KK2 and every bit of info is really helpful. Having major confusion over PI setts too... You have any tutorials on that?
sberfield is offline Find More Posts by sberfield
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined May 2012
588 Posts
Nice thank you for this info nice to see people doing this how did you find this?
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:07 PM
RC Man Child!
Joined Mar 2010
216 Posts
Sberfield, Go to my YouTube channel for a basic tuning guide of the kk2.

Gitit20, how did I find the feature or video?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined May 2012
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdsracer View Post
Sberfield, Go to my YouTube channel for a basic tuning guide of the kk2.

Gitit20, how did I find the feature or video?
The feature if you where the one to discover it? Just wondering
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:44 AM
Norge, Finnmark, Alta
Joined Dec 2010
28 Posts
Can you not skip the ground wire if you use the same battery to the ESC's? Then the BEC has the ground to the board.
knutek is offline Find More Posts by knutek
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:47 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Aug 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knutek View Post
Can you not skip the ground wire if you use the same battery to the ESC's? Then the BEC has the ground to the board.
That's what Rolf Bakke suggests in a different thread... somewhere in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675613. First post, Q3.
David Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by David Jenkins
Last edited by David Jenkins; Jul 08, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:50 PM
not insane; Mom had me tested
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
831 Posts
excelent thanks
hallstudio is offline Find More Posts by hallstudio
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:10 AM
RC Man Child!
Joined Mar 2010
216 Posts
Yeah, it's a redundant ground. I only recommend it because some people will use rx packs or BEC's to power the board on planes or others things. You will need this ground if that is the case.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdsracer View Post
Yeah, it's a redundant ground. I only recommend it because some people will use rx packs or BEC's to power the board on planes or others things. You will need this ground if that is the case.
hi is it possible just to connect the voltage alarm hole (+) to the + on motor one to save extra wires to the batt plus neater job with only one wire behind the board many thanks blake

sorry dumb question just thought it would only read the bec voltage sorry guys
blakereuben is offline Find More Posts by blakereuben
Last edited by blakereuben; Aug 13, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:53 PM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
The + input on the board needs to see the full + voltage from the battery, be it at an ESC power connector, power distribution board or harness, or lipo balance plug. Likewise, the ground input needs to see the - of the battery. DO NOT JUST CONNECT THE GROUND TO THE GROUND OF ANY OF THE SERVO LEADS! Not sure if anything will go up in smoke, but I can tell you it's not going to work, and chances are if it does do anything, it's not going to be anything good

This little feature does work great. I set it up on my quad after I just recently rebuilt it and installed the KK2.0 board. MUCH easier than having to have a separate lipo alarm installed and having to plug it into the balance port every time.

I ran my feed right to the HK power distribution board with a small 2 pin female connector. It all sandwiched inside the two frame sections of the X525 frame nice and clean

To get the speaker sound out of the canopy I was using, I drilled a small hole and hot glued the speaker in place. Simple and works great!

and yes that's a plastic to-go box, Chinese take-out to be exact

iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:28 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Hi. I got a problem with battery alarm mod. I did what it is shown in videos and soldered two cables to BAT+ and GND. Then I connected the ESCs to the controller and sensor cable to HK distribution board socket. I've connected the battery and smoke came out and something burned. I've checked the voltages and saw the ESC-1 doesn't give 5V anymore. I tried same thing again (sensor cable and ESC-1 connected) and the board turned on with showing battery voltage. After then I've connected the working ESC and sensor cable and smoke and smoke came out from controller. I've disconnected the battery immediately. Now it is not working with anyone. The red light on the controller flashing and beeping but nothing shows up. I've inspected the board and saw that the R1 resistor between the M1 socket and yellow capacitor is darkened. I couldn't read its value. Maybe it is the broken component. Can someone tell me the value of that resistor? And why did it happened? I think I shouldn't connect the GND line. It is my first quad and I couldn't fly it yet.

By the way, my ESCs are HobbyKing 20A 3A UBEC
hohenheim is offline Find More Posts by hohenheim
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:47 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,194 Posts
It sounds like you connected everything wrong. Please provide better explanation on how you connect everything.

http://oddcopter.com/2012/04/13/quadcopter-wiring/
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:13 PM
RC Man Child!
Joined Mar 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenheim View Post
Hi. I got a problem with battery alarm mod. I did what it is shown in videos and soldered two cables to BAT+ and GND. Then I connected the ESCs to the controller and sensor cable to HK distribution board socket. I've connected the battery and smoke came out and something burned. I've checked the voltages and saw the ESC-1 doesn't give 5V anymore. I tried same thing again (sensor cable and ESC-1 connected) and the board turned on with showing battery voltage. After then I've connected the working ESC and sensor cable and smoke and smoke came out from controller. I've disconnected the battery immediately. Now it is not working with anyone. The red light on the controller flashing and beeping but nothing shows up. I've inspected the board and saw that the R1 resistor between the M1 socket and yellow capacitor is darkened. I couldn't read its value. Maybe it is the broken component. Can someone tell me the value of that resistor? And why did it happened? I think I shouldn't connect the GND line. It is my first quad and I couldn't fly it yet.

By the way, my ESCs are HobbyKing 20A 3A UBEC
The battery alarm seems to be the least of your problems.
The you will only burn something if you reversed polarity or are over powered. I'm certain you didn't build it correctly and will need to replace any smoked electronics. Can you take a pic of how you plugged it all in?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:11 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Where did the smoke come from?

That part is now dead, and you'll need to replace it.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV