SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
Discussion
Sim any good?

Okay, so I'm mainly a plane guy, but I got bored and started to fly helis on sim. I found that it was very intuitive and easy to fly. Turning, pitch control, etc. Ive always heard that helis were hard. It didn't take long before hovering inverted.

Ive got RF6. Did they oversimplify it and made it easy? Should I expect the real thing to be different?
WindGap is online now Find More Posts by WindGap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:40 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindGap View Post
Ive got RF6. Did they oversimplify it and made it easy? Should I expect the real thing to be different?
The real thing (450 size RC) can kill you. At least break when you crash. You may find it easy, likely not.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:51 PM
Zombie flyer....
United Kingdom, Huddersfield
Joined Mar 2010
137 Posts
HaHAHA...hahahaha................................. .......hahahahahaha............................... ahahahhaahah....................................ha ...ha.ha.......hahaha......................hahahha hhahahahahahha......
Oh, lordy, ooh, thank you for that! Fair made my belly chuckle!
The sim (you don't say which one it is....) Made you think that flying helis is easy!
Cool! I'm an plane flyer myself ...
http://supercubclub.proboards.com/in...ay&thread=4631

Ok, real world.....Can you... pat your head, whilst rubbing your tummy? Go ahead...do it.

Great!

Now, whilst doing those, count your toes. 1,2,3,4,5. 5,4.3.2.1.
And balance a marble on your nose..........

If you can do that, all at the same time, you can fly a heli with no training.

IT IS REALLY, REALLY FU**KING HARD TO FLY A HELICOPTER IN REAL LIFE!
Spend some money and find out!
I've flown planes on and off for 22 years......
Hardest thing I've ever done is this...

I apologize in advance if this seems aggresive.
I have seen so many of these posts in different forums.... oo..Flying helis is easy!......
Grrrrrrr....I'm a newbie, I know I am, but, to get some d**kwad telling me it's easy?

OOAH! Get some! Mu**aFu**A! ( And thank you to the US Marines for that......)
toffa is offline Find More Posts by toffa
Last edited by toffa; Jul 07, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
I just can't believe I'm that good They must've dumbed it down, cause I'm able to do stuff I shouldn't be able to.

Did they at least simulate orientation, throttle, pitch, and flight characteristics close? Or should I expect to be in a surprise when I fly the real thing?

When I see novices at field, I see them hovering with tennis balls. After an hour on the sim, I'm rocketing thru the skies, tearing across the field and stopping on a dime into a full hover.

Something must be far off, I'm not that good. What gives?
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toffa View Post
HaHAHA...hahahaha................................. .......hahahahahaha............................... ahahahhaahah....................................ha ...ha.ha.......hahaha......................hahahha hhahahahahahha......
Oh, lordy, ooh, thank you for that! Fair made my belly chuckle!
The sim (you don't say which one it is....) Made you think that flying helis is easy!
Cool! I'm an plane flyer myself ...
http://supercubclub.proboards.com/in...ay&thread=4631

Ok, real world.....Can you... pat your head, whilst rubbing your tummy? Go ahead...do it.

Great!

Now, whilst doing those, count your toes. 1,2,3,4,5. 5,4.3.2.1.
And balance a marble on your nose..........

If you can do that, all at the same time, you can fly a heli with no training.

IT IS REALLY, REALLY FU**KING HARD TO FLY A HELICOPTER IN REAL LIFE!
Spend some money and find out!
I've flown planes on and off for 22 years......
Hardest thing I've ever done is this...

I apologize in advance if this seems aggresive.
I have seen so many of these posts in different forums.... oo..Flying helis is easy!......
Grrrrrrr....I'm a newbie, I know I am, but, to get some d**kwad telling me it's easy?

OOAH! Get some! Mu**aFu**A! ( And thank you to the US Marines for that......)
Hey buddy, didn't say it was easy, rather, disbelief that sim is so far off. What value can be gained from a sim, if not for basic orientation, pitch, flight characteristics.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:14 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Pilot skill is part of it. Expect to be hovering with the novices at field, maybe a week, maybe a month.

You won't find a perfect helicopter. That means unless you fly an expert's helicopter with the expert flight checking immediately before flight, the helicopter is going to do it's own thing, no matter how good a pilot you are. RC helicopters need a careful eye and a lot of experience to fly true, and continue to fly true.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:50 PM
Zombie flyer....
United Kingdom, Huddersfield
Joined Mar 2010
137 Posts
Hmmm, OK, once again, I apologize. Thought you were trying to say...Oo, this is easy, whats the big deal, etc.....
No joke, trying to fly helis is really hard. I'm flying a Blade MSR fixed pitch, and trying to fly that ( it's an 'easy' aircraft to fly! Apparently.)
I can fly prop aeroplanes, ducted fan, EDF,2 stroke, 4 stroke, and pulse jet on sims.
Real life I can fly electric trainers, EDF's, motor gliders, and warbirds.
On realflite I can fly 3D!
Real life I crash 2 seconds after I start.
Sims are useful, but, often, are nothing like real life.
Sorry for tearing your throat out.
Thought you were taking the p*ss ( making fun of..).
Which sim were you using?
toffa is offline Find More Posts by toffa
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
RF6

If a sim fails to simulate, then its just a big video game. U can master a video game. I know a sim isn't real flight, but what no one has related yet, is the value to gain from simulators. I don't have a heli, so I don't know.
Last edited by WindGap; Jul 07, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
I honestly find flying my CP helis EASIER than the sim. Inverted flight and some 3D is easier on the sim, but hovering and FFF I find easier in real life. I just bought my 81 year old dad who's been flying helis for 41 years a sim. He can't fly worth a damn on the sim! And basic CP heli flight is not that tough. At least it wasn't for me, and I learned on a CP heli.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:09 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,583 Posts
Quote:
Okay, so I'm mainly a plane guy, but I got bored and started to fly helis on sim. I found that it was very intuitive and easy to fly. Turning, pitch control, etc. Ive always heard that helis were hard. It didn't take long before hovering inverted.

Which helis were you flying in RF6? If you were flying the coaxials then yea they're pretty darn easy.
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
Flying in 3d helis, such as dominion 3d 90, in 3d mode, whatever that means. I find it easier to fly in 3d mode. Just tell me that even though I can control it well in the sim, that it will not translate at all to the real world, and I'll smell the coffee. Bummer.
Last edited by WindGap; Jul 08, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Orientation in real life was a problem for me. It took me 6 months or so to guess orientation when the heli got out too far to see well.

One of the things I don't like about sims is all the helis fly perfectly, and seem to be in a frictionless environment. Even with gusting winds, they seem very predictable WRT the tail and pitch compared with a FBL heli in real life. That said, sims are very useful for learning how to fly and practising maneuvers.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:44 AM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
The sim is just useful for maneuvers and orientations...The best thing to do is find your weakness and practice to iron it out then move on....The sim world is a perfect world and is just for learning...I just started to learn piro flips after learning to fly backwards on Realflight 4.5..I had to use the force and convince myself that the tail was the front canopy and how I would use the sticks to fly it that way...Remember that if you crash while practicing a maneuver you need more practice..Everything should be automatic and smooth..
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:02 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Flying in 3d helis, such as dominion 3d 90, in 3d mode, whatever that means. I find it easier to fly in 3d mode. Just tell me that even though I can control it well in the sim, that it will not translate at all to the real world, and I'll smell the coffee. Bummer.
It mostly does translate to the real world, and I've always been a supporter of doing what you're doing. I frequently post my first helicopter flight video as evidence of what a simulator can do for you... I didn't crash, even flew around a little bit. If you can do what you say on the simulator, then you should be able to fly a proper helicopter... proper is the operative word though... you need to make sure the helicopter is operating perfectly, which is one thing the simulator doesn't simulate. No helicopter is ever set up and running perfectly like the simulated ones, but if you fly the simulated ones, you should be able to deal with the real ones.

In RealFlight, there is a difficulty setting - make sure that's on "realistic" or whatever they call it these days.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:37 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,190 Posts
I find sim helpful, but real life flying is much different. Some folks can fly pretty good and learn quickly. Most don't and 3D heli's are quick. Get a heli and get good 6 ch rig and try it. Buy a few extra parts just in case.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04