HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
583 Posts
Idea
Backpack Yak: A 3D EPP vacation plane that fits in a carry-on

Ahhh vacation time, a relaxing get-away to an exotic locale with everything you could want except, you know, your favorite hobby. Resorts will rent you snorkels, fins, rafts, bikes, paddle boats - even a man-kini but not one single RC plane! If you want to have a good time in paradise, you're gonna have to BYOP. Except there aren't a lot of good options. The little micros don't do so well in the wind that usually accompany white sand and ocean waves or mountain's purple majesty. Also, once built they don't handle being thrown in your mostly full carry-on and hand launched by a baggage handling gorilla.

The world needs a fun, wind-capable plane that packs down flat into an airline overhead legal carry-on suitcase (with plenty of room left over for shorts, sandals and stuff). The maximum internal dimensions are about 19.5 x 12 inches. These bags are about 8 inches high. Assuming we'd like to avoid renting that man-kini, let's say our favorite new plane needs to pack down to a flat space that's not more than 2.5 inches tall.

Because vacations are supposed to be fun, the Backpack Yak re-assembles from flat to fat in less than five minutes using powerful magnets, nesting carbon fiber rods and an ingenious interlocking foam design. With an assembled wingspan between 28 and 34 inches it's got enough power to surf the trade winds and enough 3D capability to have some real fun while staying in the air for 8-10 minutes. No one wants to spend their vacation grounded so the durable EPP foam can take a hit and is easy to repair.

Will someone please design this plane? Has someone already done it? An ARF kit would fly off the shelves. Is there anyone else out there like me who would love a plane like this this? What else does it need to have? Which clever foamy kit maker wants to take our money and make our day?
Markran is online now Find More Posts by Markran
Last edited by Markran; Jul 07, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:50 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markran View Post
Ah vacation time, a relaxing get-away to an exotic locale with everything you could want except, you know, your favorite hobby. Resorts will rent you snorkels, fins, rafts, bikes, paddle boats - even a man-kini but not one single RC plane! If you want to have a good time in paradise, you're gonna have to BYOP. Except there aren't a lot of good options. The little micros don't do so well in the wind that usually accompanies white sand and ocean waves or mountain's purple majesty. Also, once built they don't handle being thrown in your mostly full carry-on and hand launched by a baggage handling gorilla.

The world needs a fun, wind-capable plane that packs down flat into an airline overhead legal carry-on suitcase (with plenty of room left over for shorts, sandals and stuff). The maximum internal dimensions are about 19.5 x 12 inches. These bags are about 8 inches high. Assuming we'd like to avoid renting that man-kini, let's say our favorite new plane needs to pack down to a flat space that's not more than 2.5 inches tall.

Because vacations are supposed to be fun, the Backpack Yak re-assembles from flat to fat in less than five minutes using powerful magnets, nesting carbon fiber rods and an ingenious interlocking foam design. With an assembled wingspan between 28 and 34 inches it's got enough power to surf the trade winds and enough 3D capability to have some real fun while staying in the air for 8-10 minutes. No one wants to spend their vacation grounded so the durable EPP foam can take a hit and is easy to repair.

Will someone please design this plane? Has someone already done it? An ARF kit would fly off the shelves. Is there anyone else out there like me who would love a plane like this this? What else does it need to have? Which clever foamy kit maker wants to take our money and make our day?
This is a great idea, but I think that the magnets, etc. would make it pretty heavy. I use 450mah packs on my 33" EPP Planes, and I fly 3:30. So not really sure about the 8-10 minutes too Great idea though
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
583 Posts
You may be right about the flight time. I get 8.5 mins out of 750mah packs on my 39" McFoamy XL. Whatever the flight time is, it would be a big improvement over zero which is what I get without a Backpack Yak!

I was thinking that very small magnets made of rare earth elements might not add too much to the weight, however there are probably more novel solutions clever foamy architects could deploy to secure the wings/tail feathers in place for flight while still providing quick set up and knock down. The Backpack Yak doesn't have to be the absolute lightest, fastest or floatiest plane because the alternative is no plane at all. I'd gladly give a little up on some specs to enable the pack-flat/quick assembly. Why? Because paradise just isn't paradise without a plane.

I think the Backpack Yak would be unique and wildly popular. I'd gladly pay a premium for the clever design elements that make it a reality.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:52 AM
Currently flyin Crack Yak
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
I think it would be possible and awesome
ryanotown22 is offline Find More Posts by ryanotown22
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
www.dwfoamies.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=68 &flypage=vmj_ritz.tpl&product_id=171&option=com_vi rtuemart&Itemid=543

This is 20x18.5 with a little cutting you could make it fit without many mods
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:09 AM
Deutschland, BY, Augsburg
Joined Nov 2010
121 Posts
Il make it by myself
PICT0002.AVI (3 min 2 sec)

Low Kost and much Fun
Schrottflyer is offline Find More Posts by Schrottflyer
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:50 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
How about a plane in three sections- a flat fuselage with rudder cut down the middle that pins together, and a one piece wing and horizontal fuse with elevator that slides in and is secured with pins. That might work.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Aug 2011
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanotown22 View Post
Ryan - interesting plane but the site says that it's primarily for indoors and doesn't like much wind. Looking at the size and power plant I think we need something beefier. That's why I think we need a plane that collapses small but reconstitutes fairly big (28"-34"). That'll handle those lovely ocean breezes and take along your keychain camera for snapshots of paradise from above.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
How about a plane in three sections- a flat fuselage with rudder cut down the middle that pins together, and a one piece wing and horizontal fuse with elevator that slides in and is secured with pins. That might work.
Interesting idea. Are there any examples of similar designs that go together and come apart?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
Brainstorming tonight. You can connect pieces using a dovetail joint. In the middle of each joint you would have a solid tube (carbon fiber). Once the pieces are together you run a carbon rod through the now together wings. The carbon rod would be the entire length of the wing with clips at the end to keep it from sliding out of the tube. Once the wing is assembled you could slide the wing through the fuse. sorry for my horrible ms paint pictures. You could almost think of how a door hing is held together with a tube and a rod.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanotown22 View Post
Brainstorming tonight. You can connect pieces using a dovetail joint. In the middle of each joint you would have a solid tube (carbon fiber). Once the pieces are together you run a carbon rod through the now together wings. The carbon rod would be the entire length of the wing with clips at the end to keep it from sliding out of the tube. Once the wing is assembled you could slide the wing through the fuse. sorry for my horrible ms paint pictures. You could almost think of how a door hing is held together with a tube and a rod.
That's a very interesting idea. If I follow you correctly I think your drawing isn't quite reflecting what you said in your description. The gaps between the interlocking "fingers" would be open (no CF tube), with the CF tubes only inside the fingers. Then the master CF rod would pass through the the slightly larger diameter CF tubes joining each set of interlocking fingers together. Did I understand correctly?

That would be a pretty cool fastening method. If the smaller diameter master rod was also hollow, it could be secured in a variety of ways using metal wire down the center and hardware at each end that can tighten by pulling the wire.

Nice thinking...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:03 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
how about using dovetail joints so you only need CF for stiffening the airframe?
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markran View Post
That's a very interesting idea. If I follow you correctly I think your drawing isn't quite reflecting what you said in your description. The gaps between the interlocking "fingers" would be open (no CF tube), with the CF tubes only inside the fingers. Then the master CF rod would pass through the the slightly larger diameter CF tubes joining each set of interlocking fingers together. Did I understand correctly?

That would be a pretty cool fastening method. If the smaller diameter master rod was also hollow, it could be secured in a variety of ways using metal wire down the center and hardware at each end that can tighten by pulling the wire.

Nice thinking...
Exactly what I was thinking also to hold the rod in you could simply have the tube a little longer than the wing or whatever surface you were joining with a hole drilled through and a pin. Like RC car bodies are mounted...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
how about using dovetail joints so you only need CF for stiffening the airframe?
I think they might come apart and grow weak over time. With carbon it will stay strong. I wish I had a spare foamy to take apart and tweak to build this
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
I know again this is horrible picture but its all I have.

The areas in Red are where pins would attach through carbon fiber rod/tube. For the spar you would need a slightly larger tube in the middle to slide the thinner rod through and then also from nose to tail of the wing to join the wings together or possibly just have two spars running parralel at the nose and tail portion of the wing to join them. I am going to put some protype together at the end of this month to see what I can do. Basically for the entire plane I am thinking carbon tube and those RC car body clips and it should be nice and strong. Then to assemble all you would need to do is line up the holes in the outer tube and inner tube and slide the pins in. I am thinking it would only take around 5 mins to assemble at that point.