HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:47 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I'm really liking this FPV stuff.
Trying my 900Mhz system out at work gong back and forth across a field and trying to get used to the feeling.

With the GoPro in 720 Wide it's kinda weird. I tried in 1080 narrow and I like that a lot better but viewing the video afterwards strains my eyes.
I'll just have to get used to the wide FOV.

I had a whip antenna and got over 400ft away and still had perfect video but i forgot to hit record on the GoPro.
Next flight I recorded and only got about 250ft and started to get interference.
All this was only about 20ft up so it would probably be better if I was higher.

Anyways, my kit came with a inverted V antenna and so I am going to try that out instead of the whip.
I read somewhere to try and have it in plain view of the receiver so I mounted it on the bottom of my quad and with the wire being so rigid, it pops into the right orientation when off the ground.

Hope it works better than the whip.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Last edited by jasper7821; Aug 08, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:13 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Jasper, glad to hear you like FPV! I am addicted and have been dying for a fix since I had to send in my Fatsharks for warranty repair. They have been gone 3+ weeks but I should have them this week. Not that it matters too much because I had a short on my bottom plate and that wont be here till Friday.

I got used to the wide FOV by flying near a tree or myself a lot. It helped me with distance and got me used to it. I can now fly between and under tree branches no problem. I don't know how those antennas work but I am sure there will be some shadows depending on orientation. I fly with 5.8 blue beams and if I fly high directly over my head I get breaks in the signal that I don't get flying higher and 300+ft out. You just need to study up on the antenna and learn the no fly zones.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Cool, thanks for the advice, I'm on 900Mhz and I was told blue beams were huge for 900.

ANYWAYS,
I just did my first REAL FPV flight and this inverted V antenna setup works AWESOME.
I went out 850ft according to the Dragon OSD and stayed around 40-50ft high and never even had a touch of static.

It was so cool and I'm starting to get used to it somewhat.
I have the Vuzix 920's with the sunshade but I totally need to do the ski goggle mod, there was just too much light coming in to get totally immersed in the feeling of flying FPV.

I took off LOS and made sure everything was ok then went FPV for the whole time and even landed on the sidewalk in front of me.
Man, this is like a drug, I'm totally addicted now and can't wait until I get better and can do some cool flying around trees and the small mountains here.

My GoPro recorded it but since I work at a restricted site and got some military aircraft in view, I cannot post the video

Can't wait to check it out in the desert hills.
Last edited by jasper7821; Aug 08, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
How many MW is that 900 kit...it should be good for 6 clicks if 1,500...did you get the 500 version?
azdroneflyer is offline Find More Posts by azdroneflyer
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdroneflyer View Post
How many MW is that 900 kit...it should be good for 6 clicks if 1,500...did you get the 500 version?
I could have sworn mine was 500mw but on the Range Video website all I see is 800mw so I thought that must be what I have.
2 klicks would be good enough for me, I really have no reason to go more than a mile

When i get the courage I'll fly in the desert until I lose signal then hit RTH and hopefully everything works great.

I'm not looking for massive range. Going 1000ft away is probably fine for me.
who knows, maybe as I get better and better I'll want to go further and further.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I just tested my range again at work and I went to just over 1,500ft at 60ft high and the signal quality was awesome. (thanks Adidas for the inverted V antenna suggestion)
I even had my RX sitting on the ground with the crappy whip antenna.
I'm sure if I put it on a tripod and had a better antenna it would help a lot.
I think 1,500ft is as far as I need to go so I'm very happy.

I did have one weird thing happen. Ever since I put on the inverted V antenna my temp sensor wigs out once in a while and gives me weird readings on my DX8

I know it's somehow coming from the antenna because if I giggle the antenna it makes my radio vibe. If I hold it bent a certain way the radio stays vibrating and if I let go of the antenna wire the vibe stops. While is vibrating because of the over temp warning it will read in the 170 degree range and the motors haven't even started yet.
And when flying, when is gives an over temp warning the video signal breaks a up a little.
I have no clue how to fix it, the video TX and antenna are underneath the quad and no where near the temp sensor wire.

I guess the safest thing to do so it doesn't mess with my video signal is if I can't fix it I'll just remove the temp sensor since I now know that all my motors are running 120 degrees in the Arizona desert and not overheating.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I starting to learn FPV a little.
Here's 2 very boring FPV videos I did a few days ago.
I was trying to edit so I can have the GoPro full screen and the downlinked video in the corner with PIP. I tried for a few hours in Windows Movie maker and in iMovie and no luck.
I want to get good at FPV'ing and editing and make a cool video.

Also weird thing, on my Aiptek recorder the video looks great but uploading the SD card and the video looks horrible as you can see from the 2nd video.
It was the same with the BEVRC DRV and my old Canon ZR85.
It also doesn't record the full screen, you can't even see the left motor.

Also trying to sort out my antenna issue. the inverted Vee is messing with my TM1000.
Alex (IBCrazy) offered to send me one of his Vee antennas to see if I get better results.

Also, at work I got almost 1,500ft and had zero interference, now at the park I saw some interference at 500ft.

http://youtu.be/yElbO-ffE20
http://youtu.be/tEaFPo7dDgc
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
well at the park you have a lot of obsticles that RF can bounce off of and other sources of RF.

I know my city uses RF to control and monitor water wells and other municipalities.

it is quite possible that there is a source of RF near by that is close to your 900mhz gear
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
well at the park you have a lot of obsticles that RF can bounce off of and other sources of RF.

I know my city uses RF to control and monitor water wells and other municipalities.

it is quite possible that there is a source of RF near by that is close to your 900mhz gear
Cool, thanks.
So when I test it out in the desert next to the mountains I should have no problems at all.

I do want to get some stubby legs so I can hang the GoPro underneath and put it in the waterproof case to be safe in the event of a mishap. At least the camera will be ok.

This thing is totally dialed in, it hovers pretty much in the exact same spot and it flies really nice. I did try manual and I felt like a beginner flying helicopters again. It was cool but I think I'll mainly stay in ATTI, and GPS when I want to sit still.

The only movement it really has is if I do a 360 while hovering, it will do a 360 in about a 6ft radius. While climbing and descending if I don't touch the rudder it pretty much stays in it's own footprint.
I'm very impressed with my NAZA and loving it.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:25 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
The only movement it really has is if I do a 360 while hovering, it will do a 360 in about a 6ft radius. While climbing and descending if I don't touch the rudder it pretty much stays in it's own footprint.
I'm very impressed with my NAZA and loving it.
I wonder if you change the Y axis a little if it would fix/reduce the circle....
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites